Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,005 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,591 reviews
on July 27, 2017
Little Women is an old classic that was simply begging to be re-read. I think I started the book so many times when I was in elementary school that I had actually memorized the opening chapter. Every word rang as familiar to my eyes and heart as a forgotten Christmas Carol. But, but I don't remember ever finishing the book -- until this time.

It's written in an old-fashioned style, and a little harder to follow than some more modern literature, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Even the rhythm of the words takes you back to a sweeter simpler time which was in reality a very harsh time in American history. For the uninitiated, LW details the life of four teen-aged sisters in the Civil War Era. Aside from their father being away from home during the first part of the book the war is not a main topic. It's all about the relationships between these sisters, their mother, their neighbor and later their budding romances.

Take your time with this one. Read it slowly and savor.

T
on May 3, 2014
Just received a home made printed copy of Little Women. No copyright page - nothing. The cover picture is a blurry digital copy of a photo of the picture. I've never seen this before. I'm sure the entire story is probably contained in this printing, and all I really want is to read the story; but, is this right? And it says this was sold by Amazon, not some random sketchy dealer. Not cool for those who receive money from the sale of this book. No invoice enclosed. Have never encountered this. Am I missing something? Could someone shed some light?
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2017
The font size is very small. The chapters are condensed onto the pages. I need a magnifying glass to read. Of course the book (content) is a great read. I should have paid attention to the description/ details.
on November 26, 2012
This edition was a wonderful value, containing many of the well loved classics like Little Women and others of that series. But it also contained other of the author's less well known works that I just fell in love with. I will say that the editing could have been a little better, there were some words where the I was an o or viseversa but overall a wonderful read and and a great bargain at the price.
on May 16, 2017
I read this book year ago and have two movie versions. It is a lovely story. In this rereading I was cognizant of its simplicity, the numerous moral life lessens and the focus on family relations in their idealistic forms. It was nice for a change to enjoy these elements rather than today's focus on dysfunctions and amoral or immoral issues of families and society. All I all it was enjoyable and downright refreshing!!!
on March 29, 2016
Little Women has been a favorite of mine since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. This book is so well written, the characters are so real and I always cry over parts of this book. I have never seen a movie based on this book that even came close to the written word. Louisa May Alcott takes you into the world during the Civil War and shows the reality of family life during that time. The time frame, the settings, the actions and behaviors of the characters in this book are very well portrayed. This is a book for the ages and for all ages.
This story is truly a classic and it was so enjoyable to revisit. My mother read it with me when I was a young girl and it brings back memories of those times. I can almost feel her with me. This is a great story for about any age, grade school on up. Whether you have read it before or this is your first time, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I believe most will.
on November 6, 2015
Little Women is a timeless classic. The story is told in two parts. The first part focuses of the four young March daughters: Meg, Jo, Amy, and Beth. The story is told in the nineteenth century in a town setting. The March family is a loving family with a wise and lady mother who is trying to teach values, empathy, and love to her four daughters, while their father is a chaplain in the Civil War. The family is poor and struggle with finances. But the girls, led by rambunctious tomboy Jo, have wonderful times as they read, sketch, write and perform plays, and invent secret clubs. Each girl is different in character with ladylike lovely Meg, boyish Jo, elegant Amy, and home loving, faithful Beth. Jo and her family adopt the motherless and fatherless rich boy and neighbor, Laurie into their family. There is love, laughter, sisterly quarrels, and sadness woven into a beautiful family story. In the second part, the story begins with the marriage of the oldest sister, Meg. and her new life as wife and mother. Jo pursues her interest in writing. Amy has ambitions of becoming a lady and marrying into a rich family. Beth must deal with her lingering illness and hopes to remain with her family. Laurie is in love with Jo, but will she return the love of "her boy." This second part deals with growing up, romance, and the 19th Century expectation for women to marry and become mothers. The March family will touch your heart and remain in your memory as they learn to step out on their own to transition from little women to beloved wives.
on November 24, 2015
I really enjoyed the first part of this book but became bored with the second part. I had always wanted to read this and I knew a lot about the book already. I liked the characters and the development but became bored with them when they became adults. An average read for me, but I think I would read another book by Alcott. Most of her books are available for free on the kindle.
on March 18, 2017
This is a classic !! Very well written. The civil war setting added an extra layer of sacrifice & character building. This is a book you could bring out and re-read every few years, it is so great.