Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 25 reviews
on July 26, 2017
Elliptical in its descriptions, this book doesn't have a throughline argument more than 'string theory is complicated,' which of course we knew: I knew from the outset this was going to be a fraught read since
A) the books spends more time telling us what it will talk about rather than creating a logical sequence of discussion and
B) the chapter on energy doesn't define what energy is in any reasonable manner.
I get it. It's a hard subject. But if you intend on writing a book for the general public, you need to actually do that. The ironic thing is that the author goes out of their way to not talk about math, but the sections of the book where the author actually discusses some of the math involved are easily the best written and enjoyable parts.
on October 3, 2016
This was a very readable, understandable summation of string theory and it's recent evolution. For one with an above average l interest in physics, this is a great choice.
on November 23, 2016
the author knows the subject but a few equations would have avoided the great verbiose all along the book but i would recommand it
on February 17, 2011
"One of my resolutions is before I die to be able to have a general understanding of relativity, cosmology and related topics. This book was highly recommended to me in understanding string theory.....I was told by someone with no science background that she understood after reading this. Stay tuned!

Well, not exactly! Professor Gubser does a spectacular job of introducing the concepts of strings, and "branes" (multidimensional surfaces), as well as explaining the concept of the black hole, which is one of the few constructs in all of this that I do understand. The friend who told me that I would "understand" string theory after reading this book was wrong....I have a better understanding of the concept.

What I, and I suspect many others who are fascinated but somewhat learning disabled in these areas need is a book with some basic explanations, e.g.:

1) If you have an 11 dimensional "thing" and we can only understand 4 dimensions (including time), what are the other 7 dimensions? Are they mathematical constructs which we cannot visualize?

2) We need a concise definition and way to conceive of "spacetime". This is truly right brain "stuff" and while we understand time and space, I don't understand how they are one continuum. I THINKI am beginning to understand the relationship between time and the speed of light, but I need a lot more basics in this area.

3) In regard to string theory, I have heard it said elsewhere that all subatomic particles are strings. Prof. Gubser seems to make this point as well, but I don't feel that he does a great job of the big picture, i.e. what is the role of strings and branes in our world......where are they, is all matter made up of them, are they connected, etc.

The book was valuable as it is well written and very understandable in parts on an unbelievably complex topic. I need the companion volume with all the answers to the questions that he raises.

My "bucket list" item to understand this stuff before I die continues!

Recommendations, anyone????????" (Updated 1 second ago)
on January 20, 2015
Good conceptual description of String Theory and quantum mechanics. Photons and particles have new meaning to me. I'm grateful the math was more conceptual that mechanistic.
on June 20, 2014
First time I tried reading this book it was a little over my head, however when I took a intro physics class it made more sense. So overall, its good to read, but previous physics experience is advised.
on July 31, 2012
While Prof. Gubser's book makes it easy to qualitatively understand complicated topics in string theory (dualities, renormalization, supersymmetry, etc.), the reader must not make the mistake of believing she'll become technically proficient in what is perhaps the most maddeningly difficult physics theory of all time. With the single exception of Einstein's E = mc2, there's nary an equation to be had in the book.

The book does occupy a useful niche between a purely popular approach to the subject and one that's more mathematical (Barton Zwiebach's "A First Course in String Theory" does that very well). There are some tricky conceptual topics that the reader will need to work diligently on, and perhaps this will motivate him to study string theory formally. If that describes you, then brush up on your math -- you will need it.
on January 13, 2015
Excellent Item and Fast Shipping! Thanks!
on October 31, 2013
If you have read Leonard Susskind's work, this doesn't add anything new. I would not bother with it. Not worth the time.
on December 22, 2014
Received on time and as described.