Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 951 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,523 reviews
on September 5, 2016
Be careful this is the abridged version! It really should say it's an abridged version on the front cover, it's misleading not to have it. I didn't notice this from the description when I purchased it for my daughter. She started reading it and couldn't get really get interested despite my insistence to give it a shot. She is an avid reader. Only later did I realize upon a closer look that this wasn't the full novel. I took her to the library and she borrowed the full version and loves it.
VINE VOICEon June 14, 2013
If you're an Alcott fan, as I am, this volume will be a delight. I've read LITTLE WOMEN since childhood (all the way back to when I complained to my mother when I found out I read an abridged edition--I wanted the whole story!) and, by dint of further reading, found out many of the historical background items for this book, but this collects all of them in a super package, from the many references to Bunyan's PILGRIM"S PROGRESS, to how book events paralleled the Alcotts' real lives, to definitions of familiar objects and terms in the 19th century that have since disappeared, like a charabanc, pickled limes (which, BTW, sound disgusting!), and "trumps." (I did find it a bit sad that the author needed to translate several words that I found commonplace; is it really necessary today to tell someone that "sober" means "solemn," for instance?) Other than the fact that a couple of the annotations struck me as incorrect or odd, and that one illustration was mislabeled, this is thoroughly delightful from cover to cover. Included in the text are illustrations from various editions of the book, from May Alcott's originals to the Louis Jambour drawings that I grew up with, and stills from the various film versions of the story.

An introduction provides historical and biographical background to Alcott and the writing of the book. Also cool is the fact that Shealy uses Alcott's original publication text, which was edited when the book was brought out in a uniform edition several years later (this is the version most people have been reading since 1880; Alcott's publishers objected to the slang that had been used in the original version, such as "ain't," and "don't" rather than "doesn't" and corrected them, as well as fixing other descriptions--"stout" was removed from descriptions of both Mrs. March and Professor Bhaer, for example, with "tall" substituted); these changes are listed in an appendix. Absolutely worth the money!
on February 18, 2013
I must have read Little Women 10-20 times as a child and cried every time I read it. The relationship between the sisters is so touching. It wasn't until much later that I made the connection with the Civil War, and reading it as an adult made the story even richer. This book is a wonderful read aloud to middle school and high school students studying the Civil War time period. I highly recommend reading the book before watching the movie. The movie is great, but cannot begin to touch the emotions portrayed in the book! The other works of Alcott as also as touching. I loved Eight Cousins and Rose in Bloom almost as much as Little Women!
on March 29, 2016
Little Women has been a favorite of mine since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. This book is so well written, the characters are so real and I always cry over parts of this book. I have never seen a movie based on this book that even came close to the written word. Louisa May Alcott takes you into the world during the Civil War and shows the reality of family life during that time. The time frame, the settings, the actions and behaviors of the characters in this book are very well portrayed. This is a book for the ages and for all ages.
on November 24, 2015
I really enjoyed the first part of this book but became bored with the second part. I had always wanted to read this and I knew a lot about the book already. I liked the characters and the development but became bored with them when they became adults. An average read for me, but I think I would read another book by Alcott. Most of her books are available for free on the kindle.
VINE VOICEon July 8, 2010
Unfortunately, I just couldn't embrace this book. However, I also couldn't give it less than three stars because it is such a time tested classic and I could understand why generations of readers have adored it. For me, personally, I found it too feminine and sentimental. The narrative was laced with morals and the romantic and flowery language was tedious. The characters were well developed, though some were more sympathetic than others. As a writer, I had a natural affinity towards Jo, and how could any reader not be fond of gentle Beth. Meg doesn't become interesting until she becomes a mother and I never felt much depth in Amy. Of course Marmee was full of sage advice, Laurie was quite a rascal, and Professor Bhaer was the epitome of kindness. While I did care about what happened to the March family and I was pleased with the conclusion, I didn't feel devotion to the book itself because I'm just not the type of romantic individual who can identify with such feminine notions.
on March 18, 2017
This is a classic !! Very well written. The civil war setting added an extra layer of sacrifice & character building. This is a book you could bring out and re-read every few years, it is so great.
on December 2, 2008
I bought this perennial favorite to add to my barely-started collection of these tiny Collector's Library books (sadly, B&N discontinued publication of these). I love that it's small and hardcover- perfect for traveling- especially for long hours on the plane or whatnot.
I was a bit disappointed to find that this book contains only part I of Little Women, ending with Chapter 23 ("Aunt March Settles the Question"). It does not have Good Wives (aka part 2 of Little Women). Luckily, I have what I call my "home copy" of the book which has both parts...so I don't feel like I've made a mistake in purchasing this one. But I thought I'd let you know this book only features part I so that you know what to expect!
33 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon May 8, 2014
This is one of my favorite books of all time. I read it it one sitting in high school. I grew up with three sisters so it hit home. I also remember watching the Winona Ryder movie and being wrecked by the love triangle! I really love the Paperback - April 24, 2012 edition: the cover is fun and it makes a perfect gift!
VINE VOICEon May 22, 2010
This is a must have if your daughters are into chapter books. My daughter who is 10 loves to read and has always love to read. I can't remember if I bought this when she was 9 or 10 but it is a great book and after she read it we watched the movie together. Another great book she loves is Anne of Green Gables and every year for Christmas she gets a new book in the series. She loves them and really loved this. It is easy to read and hard cover, it didn't take her very long but she will sit and read for over an hour at a time some times.