Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: LittleBigPlanet Karting - Playstation 3
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Platform: PlayStation 3|Change

on November 7, 2012
First off, I've been playing kart racers for years (since the N64 days). Nothing will top Mariokart because it was (and still is) the cornerstone of this kind of game. That said, if you go into LBPK with an open mind and not expect some sort of revolutionary experience, you will have a ton of fun. The charm of Little Big Planet is all here with the cute visuals, the bubble popping, the unlockables and the character customization. Everything is nearly identical to the LBP games, all the way down to the home hub, the planets etc. Racing is quick and the controls are responsive. The game is built on an altered version of the Modnation Racers engine which was already very solid. Story mode is very long and yes, there are some challenging (OH MY!) parts but it has great lasting appeal. The in game track customizer/builder is amazing but they definitely could have done a better job at teaching you the in's and out's of using it. A little trial and error and you'll eventually be creating some killer tracks (just like in LBP).
The reviews I've read of the game seem to be harping negatively on factors that I don't quite understand. IGN complains about the menus/interface not being as easy to use as ModNation Racers. Seeing as the game runs and is created exactly the same way as all the other LBP games, I'm not sure how this could be a complaint. You have your hub, you click on the planets and you race. Not that difficult. They also complain that the game focuses too much on defense, again, not sure how this is such a big deal when the majority of your time in Mariokart, you are trying to avoid being hit with shells etc.
For me, a guy who has a small child, I can tell you, for a family game, this is excellent. He can play along and it's not so complicated that he gets frustrated. My wife plays, my family enjoys the music and the racing and I really like all the customization. It's a game that will continually grow with official tracks and user created content. What more can you ask for?
If you're looking for fun kart game, this is a no brainer. Don't listen to the negatives who are looking at this as something other than what it was intended to be, a Little Big Planet racer. It's great.
1515 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
I picked the game up this a.m. & have now completed 71%, so have a fair idea of what the game comprises. It's levels are vibrant & creative, the soundtrack matches the mood & level themes beautifully; which range from western themes to futuristic flying ... the grapple hook, bounce pads & weaponators have all found their way into the charm & whimsy of this offering. They provide a diversity of challenges from battle arena levels to hold & keep egg captures. This game is neither a pure karting or LBP experience, but rather a hybrid blend of what makes each so enjoyable. The customization features are bountiful & deep ... right down to your engine & horn sounds. I have already over 80 skins for my sackboy, endless kart pieces, & my goodies bag over flows with a bounty of choices.

The game is a 2.2gb install & provides 71 levels. Story mode provides variety & replayability is endless between collecting the loot from each level, placing in the top 3 for each level, which then opens the vs. level for online MP & continues the player through story mode. You can set your controller to either the R2 or X acceleration scheme to allow the player control over how they play, it also supports move control & steering wheel.

The possibility is limited only by the player ... the create function & level editor awaits the brilliant & imaginative community who will create the UGC ... offering a fresh & innovative karting experience with each new published level.

My 8 yr. old son came home from school & had to be repeatedly prompted to leave the game ... he was creating karts & costumes & racing through levels with glee. This game should not be missed !

*Edit*

I spent a couple hours playing online against other players & it was a lot of fun - the players cast a vote for the next level to be played & then 1 level is the winner - I didn't notice any lag, was never dropped from the race, & thought it looks to be a pretty flawless interface.
on November 8, 2012
**UPDATE 12/12/12 (cool date, huh?) - I am experiencing HUGE glitches with the online part of this game. About two weeks ago, I started to explore the online portion of this game. Several friends and I have been trying to play this game with each other - both community and story mode levels. Playing online is a huge disaster. There is a 90% fail rate at joining pods, and if you happen to actually experience that 10% when you do get to join a pod or others join your pod, it will kick the players back to their original pod when a level tries to load. In the miraculous event that you do get to play a level with a friend, at the end of that level, it will kick the friend out of the game, and he/she will go back to his/her pod. This game has become quite the headache in this respect. I've completed the majority of the game by myself, and now I want to play with others because there are so many versus levels in this game! What a shame. Hopefully, they fix the glitch in the next software update, otherwise I may have to bump the rating down to a 3.5 star for now. Don't get me wrong, it is such a fun game to play! But now I'm at the point where I want to play with others/my friends, and this game just won't deliver.

**ORIGINAL REVIEW - Let me first start off by saying that I'm at the point where I have completed the main path of the Story mode, but will update as I go along.

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm 27 years old, female, and I have been a huge fan of LBP 1 and 2... But my thoughts on LBPK are no different. This is a great game for all ages, not just children and teenagers. This could easily be thought of as LBP 3, but on wheels.

I can easily see how the game resembles Mod Nation Racers, but it is different. I didn't like MNR, and I was very hesitant to pre-order, but I did anyways because of my love for LBP.

The entire game is karting. You can race others, you can race the computer. There are also mini games in which you drive around and try to get as many "hits" as you can using weapons. You decide your controls to use for gas, etc. And you decide the difficulty setting (normal or casual). Whichever difficulty setting you choose will NOT affect your trophies, which is sort of a relief considering normal mode can be quite challenging. The only downside to casual mode is that your scores will not be posted on the online leader boards. Drifting is very easy to do, and the levels catch your eye with the graphics and nostalgia of the other LBP games such as the music and original levels. I have only defeated the main path of the Story mode. Now I find myself starting over, ensuring I place first in every race. A little tip is that you have to get all the prize bubbles AND receive first place in a race to achieve 100%. And to move on to additional races, you have to finish at least third place. To get in depth with the trophy guide, you should finish all races in first place. This is why the majority of my time now is consumed on earning first place in all of the races... This is sort of a pain considering the game gets harder as you play through it... But nonetheless, I would still recommend buying this game.

I have yet to really play with others and fiddle around with creating, but as I progress through the game, I will be sure to update.
on February 17, 2014
My wife and I love Little Big Planet 1 and 2... we spent a lot of time playing through all the levels, collecting prizes and joining our friends online to play through the stages. This game captures the same wonder, sillyness, fun and most importantly the challenge of LBP 1 and 2. This racing game, to me, is truly unique and user friendly. We didn't have to spend much time figuring out controls and the weapons are pretty intuitive to figure out, plus they are original, creative and unique (like the levels themselves).

Just like it's platforming counterparts, LBP racing is challenging and fun. Each level has many, many facets. The object of the game is to come in first place on each stage, but each stage also has a series of prizes and collectable goodies hidden throughout that you can collect. If you're like me, and you get OCD over finding all of the prizes, then you will feel compelled to play each stage again and again until you discover all of the prizes, short cuts and secrets.

This is a truly imaginitive game and has been tons of fun. Unlike other racing games, this one has completely captured my attention and I know I will play it again and again and again! I definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoys racing games, whether they are familiar with LBP or not! I promise you'll enjoy it, it's too well done not to :)
on January 1, 2013
My kid and I love to play the Little Big Planet games. We own 1, 2 and now Karting.

We were disappointed that as of 01/01/2013 we can't use our Little Big Planet costumes we earned in previous games in this one! I had to dock it a star because if you're a fan of the little big planet franchise, you know that your other costumes from the other games generally roll forward into the latest Little Big Planet game you're playing.

You do got a nice reward on your Karting sack person for owning the previous games. That's pretty nice... but they need to finish up their support for the old costumes in the newer game. Their website says this is a work-in-progress.

As far as the game itself

This game is basically a ripoff of Mario Kart, but that's okay because it is a ton of fun. I have a good time building new race tracks for my kid and I to play on... and we can also race on other unique tracks made by the community when we go online.

If you're a fan of Little Big Planet, you should get it because it has all of the customization of the previous games, plus you now have the added customization of creating your Kart any way you choose. All Karts are created equal when it comes to speed, acceleration and handling... but cosmetically speaking, the sky is the limit. You unlock new Karts and Kart Parts by racing on the tracks through Story Mode and Challenges. Once you have an entire new "Kart" you have access to all of that Kart's parts, and you can use them to build a totally unique custom Kart.

If you're not a fan of little big planet, but you still like whimsical, non-realistic racing games... go ahead and pick this one up. There is also a "deathmatch" mode where you zip around an arena and use the pickups to score points by shooting eachother's Karts. They don't call it "deathmatch" because it is a kids game... but that's the gist of what you're doing in that mode.
on December 10, 2014
The game is fine, like all the Little Big Planet games. I only give it 3 stars because we bought the game "Used" because we thought it was like "Little Big Planet 1" but all the interactive uses of this game needs the code (Obviously only on 1 device) so we only used the game for 1 day, after we passed the "missions" it lost all the fun, we cannot create any tools, tracks, missions, games or adventures, or play anything that someone create. so basically we don't use it anymore.
on December 20, 2012
Simple review:

LBP Karting is a great "Karting" game themed for the LBP series.
And NOT a great LBP game with a Karting theme.

If you love Karting games, you will love this too. But if you just love LBP and don't really enjoy Karting games, this game won't help. But that is probably obvious.

More comments:

While this is a great Karting game, there are a few small things that I miss. And I know I am picky on really really TINY things. But coming from loving the LBP 1&2 games, I felt a little unfulfilled.

Can't walk around your "pod/home". You can't exit your vehicle and walk around. Which means you can't slap each other either. You can't slap each other anywhere in the game that I have tried. My kids and I wear actually very saddened by this. Silly I know.

For the Karting, many levels are very open and it's easy to not see where you need to go or what direction you need to drive. Of course some of the open levels are not direction based. But the ones that are, don't tell you when you are going the wrong way, etc. For my 6 and 8 year old, it can be very confusing at times. And for me, coming from the Burnout series and other racing games, it is just as confusing for me as well.

Not enough power ups if you ask me. I was hoping for a little more over the top.

Again, a great Karting game. But even with all the LBP flare thrown in, it's just hard to get as attached to this game as the normal LBP series. Though I do love it at the price I got it for.
on March 11, 2015
At first my kids could not understand what to do with the game. But after watching the tutorials build in the game, they spend hours building their own tracks, cars, and characters. Brings out the creative side in my kids. I also get involved and race them. We have a lot of fun. The best part is that the game is truly very customizable as to what you can do with it!
on January 8, 2013
Purchased this game for my wife for Christmas and we have just had a ball with it ever since. The product got here quickly and was brand new in the package as described. To be honest, we haven't been able to put it down since she opened it. If you love LBP you will be stoked on this new edition, or if you are a PS3 junkie and are missing that "Mario Kart" aspect, this is the game for you. Very similar play style, but updated, streamlined, and "cutesy". Great game to play with that special someone or with family!
on June 10, 2016
I almost didn't get this game, because the box says it's 1 player (4 online), but you can actually have two people in the same room playing together. I ended up getting this game despite the 1-player label, and I was pleasantly surprised!
My daughter and I looooove the LBP series, and we've beaten 1-3 of the main games. We've been fiending for a fourth game, which doesn't exist yet, so we went with the karting game. Besides, it's really cheap these days, often $10 or less used.

Now if you've played a certain kart game on a certain other console, you're going to know that LBP karting is *very* similar to it. It also incorporates some things from the main LBP series, like customizing your plushie guy, the pod, and your car. It has not yet pulled in my items from the main series, and I don't know if the creators are going to make that a thing.

Like with most LBP games, you have the tutorial level, and the different planets. The kart game takes worlds that you've seen in the main series and transforms them into racing levels. There are a few different types of levels: normal 3-lap track levels, battle levels where you have to hurt others as much as you can, and capture-the-item levels. There's even a boss and side levels.

Again like regular LBP, you can collect items while you drive, and get the golden bag if you collect all of them. You want to get the bag and finish in first place so you can get the golden star. There are also side levels that open up, but most of them are the same level but without the bubbles or bad guys, designed for playing with a friend. You can re-play any level to get a better score.

Like in the other iconic karting game on a certain other system, you can pick up items to mess with other players, there are speed boosts, you can fall of the track, etc. You can change around your kart and that can affect how it drives. You also get drifting, which helps around tight curves. I don't have that other system, so it's nice to have this for a karting game.

It looks like you can design your own levels, but I haven't tried that yet. I tried to play a few player-made levels and my system froze-- no idea why.

I'd say the only thing I don't like about the game is that it's so short-- but I would say that about any LBP game. I beat it in about a week, although I will admit that I often stayed up late and played level after level. I feel like its re-play value is similar to that as most LBP games, and most karting games: getting perfect scores, doing challenge levels, doing player-made levels, making your own levels. I love to get the gold bag and star, but I never got deep into level-creating.

You can get DLC, and yes there are a few free things. Don't worry about the online subscription thing it's actually free. If it asks you, click "buy," and in the PSonline store it'll actually be free. No stress! Maybe they used to charge but not anymore??

Overall, I'd say get this game!! If you like LBP or karting, don't hold back. Since its cheap now it's very ell worth it. Plus it's more multi-player than the back of the box lets on.