Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 49 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 84 reviews
on September 11, 2001
Every Ten Years After fan in the world should rejoice with this release. A stellar performance remastered to near perfect sound quality ensures the listener a feast of Alvin Lee and the boys. Great liner notes from Ric Lee with a host of photos from the event just add to the CD. The musical selection is what sets this live performance apart from other TYA releases. The band brings out material from Crickelwood Green and a number of never before released live takes from the past as an encore. The live take of "I woke up this morning" followed by "Spoonfull" is worth the price of admission alone. Bottom line on this CD is quality performance. A must have for any Ten Years After fan.
on February 16, 2012
First of all, I will admit to being a big TYA fan. But this recording is off-the-charts stupendous! I was stunned. The sound quality is fantastic, you'll feel as if you were in the front row. Full and crisp. And the band was ON for these two nights of recording in February, 1970. It has many of the tunes you would expect. But there are also a couple of surprises that are terrific. "Working On the Road" is especially riveting. Ric Lee's drum solo on "The Hobbit" is original and much better than the one on "Recorded Live." If you are a TYA fan, you MUST have this album. How good is it? I would put it just under Deep Purple's "Made in Japan" live recordings. And I say that letting you know that DP is my favorite band. Seriously, this is a fantastic double dip into this band's live and talented repertoire. GET IT!!!
on March 28, 2017
Good stuff
on September 22, 2013
Alvin Lee and Ten Years After were in top form. A lot of great guitar work. The true mark of a good band or performer is how well they play live. Unfortunately, there are too many performers today who rely on backup singers and dancers to cover deficiencies in their abilities to perform live. Another great CD in the same vein is Grand Funk Railroad Live-The 1971 Tour. It's not pretty, it's not art, but it is three guys putting on a great concert. These are both old school rock concerts. These are what rock concerts should be.
on July 15, 2015
The very best live album by 10ya
on March 15, 2016
I am almost prepared to give this record the award for best live record. Ever! Not having spent the time to think through all the great live recordings over the past 50 years I'll settle for saying this is easily one of the best live rock recordings I have ever heard (and I've heard quite a few). Its incredible listening to this after all these years how well recorded the music is and most of all how great the live performances were for this band captured over a couple days in 1970.

Some highlights for me.
1. Perhaps the best captured performance of "I'm Going Home" which I believe exceeds the legendary Woodstock performance.
2. Great live version of "Spoonful".
3. Definitive version of "Good Morning School Girl".
4. Great early live version of "50,000 Miles Beneath My Brain".

The only lowlight would be the way too long drum solo which is "The Hobbit". I didn't think this was enough to knock off a star as this would easily be a 5 star recording with or without "The Hobbit". The encore performances of the Chuck Berry numbers all sizzle. Throughout the 2 discs Alvin Lee is in absolutely top form. For guitar lovers if you haven't already discovered Alvin Lee its time you do. He truly should be mentioned with the great ones of all time.

I'll summarize it this way; Alvin Lee was playing warp speed guitar before people even knew what it was. It is definitely a different take on 1960's British blues interpretation, but of all great ones out there at the time, I can't think of anyone that played with the furious attack Alvin Lee played.
on December 28, 2008
This is a prime example of why I like "surfing" this website because I discover some real gems that I wouldn't normally know about. I had no idea this live Ten Years After double-disc CD was in existence. After reading the reviews, I bought it and all I can say is "Wow." What else can you say, if you've been a lifelong fan of Alvin Lee ant TYA?

Yeah, I've heard TYA do these songs before but some of them in this CD are just astounding. For instance, "I'm Going Home" has been heard (and seen on "Woodstock") so many times I've lost count, but this is the best version I've ever heard them do. It almost brought tears to my eyes, it was so good.

In addition to that TYA trademark song, the others - particularly on side 2 - are my favorites, such as the 16-minute "Help Me" and a couple of Chuck Berry tunes.

Also, the reviewers praising the audio quality are not exaggerating - it's fantastic. Hey, the concert was almost 40 years ago, but sounds like it recorded last week. What a great purchase this is!
on February 3, 2013
Real nice twin CD of TYA at their zenith in 1970.Production and sound quality A-1.Informative booklet in case.Smokin' live versions of Help Me,I'm Going Home,Good Morning Little School Girl,Spoonful,to name a few,but the whole thing smokes start to finish.Almost 2 hours in length.Alvin Lee is one of the all time great LIVE guitar players and the rythym section is right on.If ya dig early 70s live blues rock, buy this.Rock On!
on February 20, 2010
Raw Gritty Gutty live TYA ...this cd is great . If you're a fan , just buy it . One reviewer was complaining about the quality of the recording . That's one of it's strengths..the recording's very , very good . Just buy this thing .It's 2 CDs worth of the best blues /rock this side of Johnny Winter .
on August 30, 2003
I've been a TYA fan over 30 years and bought this CD set in July. I've played it several dozen times already-at top volume. Has three live versions of songs from Cricklewood Green (my previous favorite TYA album). Working on the Road and Love Like a Man are smoking, but 50000 Miles Beneath My Brain, my all time favorite song, is the gem of this CD set. I don't know of any other live versions of this song (Alvin's Live in Vienna in 1995 has a live version of Love Like a Man). Why wasn't this album put out 30 years ago? It puts Live Cream to shame. Alvin was the best of the guitar generation and about 2 and half hours of listening to this one will convince any sceptic.