Top positive review
Truly Ispirational Stories
on August 12, 2013
Live Strong: Inspirational Stories from Cancer Survivors - From Diagnosis to Treatment and Beyond by the Lance Armstrong Foundation is a MUST read. Not only for those diagnosed with cancer but by anyone who has ever known anyone with cancer, all Survivors and anyone else.
Cancer is an Equal Opportunity killer, it is small and insidious and needs to be eradicated from the World.
This book was one of the first books from The LiveSTRONG Foundation that I read and between it and my Faith in God I am now a two time cancer survivor. Did the book cure me? No Did God cure me? Yes, I believe he did. However, I would not have had as many tools at my disposal if it hadn't been for this book.
The book is a collection of stories told by twenty-six people on a terrifying roller coaster that is out of control ... they have been diagnosed with serious life-changing cancer. But they all have hope and they all develop the inner strength to continue their lives with the drastic changes that cancer forces upon them.
The people are unforgettable ...
- the college senior who found out in her last semester ... just when she was ready to start a wonderful and exciting life journey - now bravely struggling with feelings of isolation while working to raise money for other cancer survivors.
- the cancer doctor who got cancer himself, played with his kids, wound up with a divorce, and eventually returned to work with a new understanding of what his patients are experiencing.
- the twenty-four year old woman whose basketball career ended when she was diagnosed in eighth grade.
- the teenage boy who struggled through a cancer-filled `coming of age' period unlike any other but who has now found some peace and even has a girlfriend.
- the Asian woman who became distraught because she knew something was wrong inside - and who eventually had to force her doctors to figure out that she had cancer.
- the father of four who became a cancer survivor when his five year old son was diagnosed then became blind and now is learning Braille.
- the forty-five year old woman who calmly, almost light-heartedly wonders if she will expire before her credit card does.
It is became clear to me that the survivors in LiveSTRONG are really describing the heart-wrenching emotional grieving process that they struggled through. Someone has died and it is them - the other life, without cancer, that they will never have. This is something that as a Survivor now, I truly understand. Cancer may leave your body but it never leaves your life.
I am very grateful to Amazon for carrying this book.
I would recommend this book to anyone, as it is not just for cancer survivors.