Lyft Industrial Deals Fall Reading Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 69 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 300 reviews
on February 1, 2017
This album rocks. Really - it rocks from front to end. With Courtney’s howling vocals of someone who has nothing left to lose. Of course we all know how this album played out with the freshly news of her husband and Nirvana front-man, Kurt Cobain, the title is just eerie coincidental but make no mistake, people didn’t buy this album because they felt bad for her, they bought this album because she wrote a really good record.
on August 11, 2002
I first heard Hole through "Celebrity Skin", and it wasn't until years later that I tried this CD based on the reviews here. Well, 30 seconds into the opening track, "Violet", I knew I had not made a mistake. The first six tracks are all incredibly solid, chock full of anger and catchy, edgy musical hooks. After "Doll Parts", things are more hit and miss until the finale, "Rock Star". Throughout the CD, Love has raw howls that would make Black Francis proud, but when she takes the rasp out of her voice it can be surprisingly tender and even dare I say sexy. Usually I'm not one to pay much attention to lyrics, but here I found myself genuinely moved by them. It's sad when you realize Love's inspiration comes from a lifetime of pain, and that she knows it. It's all laid bare here and I felt like I was listening to what was going through the head of Jenny in "Forest Gump" as she looked down from the balcony.
Most people give either 5 stars or 1, but I try to reserve 5 stars for only what I consider a perfect album. I'm not so sure this is an all-time classic, and I'm taking a little off because of a few weaker tracks ("She Walks on Me", "Gutless"), despite the fact that there are some classic individual tracks. Also, I felt that overall the album's songs (while very good), sound too similar to each other in tone. A perfect album takes you on a journey through different moods and perspectives and textures. Here it's pretty much uniformly loud and angry and bitter. A perfect album breaks new ground and influences musicians for years to come, and there's nothing so utterly original here that it lives up to that. Finally, the production values are not up to what "Celebrity Skin" offered. Individual instruments find it hard to pop from under the mud -- it's not a horrible-sounding album, mind you, but it could be better.
Having said that, when I give 4 stars, it means this is a really, really excellent album, and well worth having in your collection. Ignore the Kurt Cobain connections: they aren't important. Take "Live Through This", and Hole, on their own merits. If you aren't a big fan of Miss Love's personality (and believe me, I'm not), I urge you to look past/get over that because you'd be missing out on some great music hidden behind it.
on February 1, 2016
Good stuff.
on August 25, 2017
Love this!
on November 27, 2015
Definitely my favorite Hole album and and ahh I feel like I will never get tired of any of the songs on it! The songs Asking for It and Softer,Softest are just so beautiful and the whole album just makes me feel all these different emotions and it really is just pure art!
on August 7, 2012
okay, ill be honest about it. I think courtney love is an obnoxious self centered mess but I was and am a hole fan. I have been since I was 16 years old am now 32 and still love em. Im also a Nirvana fan (since i was 14) and never felt an obligation to pick between the 2.
This cd is bad a$$. The lyrics are the best Ive ever heard from hole. The cd was before they got all polished with celebrity skin and it was more raw. Its pure energy.
I don't think there was a week that went by through high school that this cd didn't wind up in the cd player, that and babes n toylands pain killers. It takes me back.
Geeks do not have pedigrees
Or perfect punk-rock resumes
Or anorexic magazines
It smells like girl, it smells like girl!!!!!!
on September 18, 2016
What a fucken awesome album. This is one of the best ablums of courtney love that makes her the best.
on February 24, 2015
a classic in my book. I added it to my forever collection of cds. I dont buy a cd unless I'll love it forever.