Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 62 reviews
on November 2, 2012
This is a large book on Kindle, and a lot of folks have problems with manuevering around in larger books, this one has a
detailed Table of contents, by Person, by Calendar day, and by alphabet. Easy to search for me. There is a nice description of each
saint, event or Holy Day, a Reflection, and my copy lists the page # - helpful if you're in a classroom and everyone else has a Paper book!
4 stars? I personally like pictures, there are none here. I like pictures.
on May 15, 2014
I have taken up reading the bible in recent months and in doing so for some reason have gotten on a parallel track of wanting to know about those notable saints from history. I haven't even truly figured out where I stand on the religion front (Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, etc...) and can't begin to tell the differences in them, but I find saints interesting in their life stories from past times, their ordeals, and ultimately how their sainthood came about. Courageous people indeed and quite amazing each of their tales. I have stacks of books on saints and a cellphone full of ebooks about saints, but none that compare to "Lives Of The Saints" in my opinion and I thank Alban Butler for it. I get a small introduction a day to a saint and it makes for a day of learning about those I am introduced to and where they fit into what I read in the bible.
on June 18, 2015
I bought this as just assigned a new hospice patient who likes to be read to, and esp enjoys hearing about the Catholic Saints. This is written as a daily devotional, but I felt short and complete for what can be a short attention span of a dementia patient. I'm not Catholic, but I have enjoyed learning as I have been reading to this patient. Her attention span holds for about 2 a visit, so the timing/thinking was about right for this type of patient.
on December 23, 2012
We homeschool and use this book as a reference, resource book. I bought it in kindle form in hopes it would be easier to use and I was right. I love the portability of it. The fact I don't have to scour my shelves for the book and that I can go to the index to find the Saints easily, then with a push of a button I am taken directly to the page I need. It is wonderful and worth much more than I paid for it.
on January 12, 2014
I am a Traditionalist and was hoping for an edition that did NOT have all the shuffling and revisions done in the late 60's. It looks like while this book contains essentially the same saints... a lot of the days reflect the newer calendar. Not what I'd hoped for---I'm stuck on a lot of the original feast days--not revised one. But that's me; if it doesn't matter to you, and it doesn't for most--it's a great guide on the lives of the people whose lives inspire us to this day.
on December 23, 2014
Butler's Lives of the Saints is a fantastic walk through the elders of the Christian faith. Almost every great author from the halls of Christendom is commemorated with a feast day or remembrance. Butler's prayerful thoughts are included after each entry. Although this swings from the obscure to the sublime, it has something to offer for anyone assembling a devotion or worship service.
on February 17, 2014
A wonderful book for everyone to read because everyone should know how wonderful the saints were and what they did to make life better for us and to make life miserable for the devil if we just followed the way Jesus wanted us to live so we could join him in Paradise for all eternity. Stop and think about that----ALL ETERNITY. We make our choice and all eternity is a long long time to burn in Hell if that's the choice we make while here on Earth.
on April 1, 2013
I'm still reading it...following the calendar, one day at a time...feel it is more beneficial to remember what I just read and able to retain...one day at a time is a good reminder of what transpired before us in these interesting lives...
on October 9, 2010
This is not Butler's "Lives Of The Saints". It is "Lives Of The Saints With Reflections For Every Day In The Year Compiled From The 'Lives Of The Saints' By Rev. Alban Butler'. It is not an edition of Butler's. Even to call it an "abridgement" would really be pushing it, but if it had been marketed as such, I would have avoided it in the first place and not have wasted my time purchasing it and then obtaining a refund.
55 comments| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
Very bland and uninspiring. Nice to know what days go with what saints, but the descriptions leave out a lot of the spirituality that each of the saints could bring into our lives.