Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.

  • Apple
  • Android
  • Windows Phone
  • Android

To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.

Buy Used
FREE Shipping on orders over $25.
Condition: Used: Good
Have one to sell? Sell on Amazon
Flip to back Flip to front
Listen Playing... Paused   You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.
Learn more
See all 3 images

Living the 80/20 Way: Work Less, Worry Less, Succeed More, Enjoy More Paperback – May 1, 2004

4.3 out of 5 stars 76 customer reviews

See all 8 formats and editions Hide other formats and editions
New from Used from
"Please retry"
Paperback, May 1, 2004
$11.49 $0.01
Audio CD
"Please retry"

ITPro.TV Video Training
Take advantage of IT courses online anywhere, anytime with ITPro.TV. Learn more.
click to open popover

Editorial Reviews


"Koch writes with inspirational verve and assurance drawing on personal experience of building businesses." -- Choice of the Month, Director Magazine

"Through multiple examples, and a punchy down-to-earth commentary, Koch offers the first really useful advice we've seen... for years." -- Business Age

About the Author

Richard Koch is the author of thirteen books including the international bestseller, The 80/20 Principle—which was named one of GQ's Top 25 Business Books of the Twentieth Century. Formerly a consultant with The Boston Consulting Group and a partner with Bain & Company, Koch is now a self-described lazy entrepreneur whose ventures have included consulting, personal organizers (Filofax), hotels (Zoffany), restaurants, and premium gin. He lives The 80/20 Way in London, Cape Town, South Africa, and the sunniest part of southern Spain. For more information, visit his website at www.the8020principle.com

The latest book club pick from Oprah
"The Underground Railroad" by Colson Whitehead is a magnificent novel chronicling a young slave's adventures as she makes a desperate bid for freedom in the antebellum South. See more

Product Details

  • Paperback: 198 pages
  • Publisher: Nicholas Brealey Publishing (May 1, 2004)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 9781857883312
  • ISBN-13: 978-1857883312
  • ASIN: 1857883314
  • Product Dimensions: 6.1 x 0.6 x 9.2 inches
  • Shipping Weight: 11.2 ounces
  • Average Customer Review: 4.3 out of 5 stars  See all reviews (76 customer reviews)
  • Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #699,272 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)

Customer Reviews

Top Customer Reviews

By Ernie Zelinski on June 15, 2005
Format: Paperback
Although I also liked his original book The 80/20 Principle, Richard Koch has done a much better job in applying Vilfredo Pareto's 80/20 principle to everyday life in Living the 80/20 Way. The 80/20 principle means that in any area of life a few (approximately 20 percent) are vital and many (approximately 80 percent) are trivial. The key is to focus your time and energy on the 20 percent of your work projects, friends, investments, and leisure activities that are really important.
As the author of the international bestseller The Joy of Not Working (over 200,000 copies sold and published in 16 languages), I can lay claim to a measure of success not attained by the majority of people in North America. In fact, not so long my net worth was minus $30,000. Yet today I have a comfortable net worth, work only four to five hours a day, and have an income in the top 20 percent of wage earners. To get there I have implemented the following principles, which in one way or another are emphasized and expanded on by Richard Koch in Living the 80/20 Way.
1. Put more effort into simplifying your life and less into complicating it.
2. Reject the adage that everything worth doing is worth doing well - striving for excellence where excellence doesn't matter is the stuff that misfits are made of.
3. Concentrate on the things that really matter and be oblivious to practically everything else.
4. If you work more than eight hours a day, you are in the wrong job - either that or you are doing it wrong.
5. The belief in the morality of hard work signifies a hard head.
6. Forget about security and focus on opportunity.
7. Live life on your own terms and not someone else's.
Read more ›
2 Comments 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Kindle Edition
I always thought the old adage "Work Smarter, Not Harder" only applied to those who worked in fields where hard work wasn't necessary. But, after reading Living the 80/20 Way, I've realized that it's actually incredibly true. Working smarter means that you don't put as much effort into things that won't amount to much. Instead, you focus your attention on the details that make you happy and more successful. The principle at work here suggests that 80% of everything you might invest your time in is non-essential. But, the other 20% is vital to your health, wellness, and success. If you focus your attention largely on the 20%, then you won't have to worry as much about the other 80%. This book is all about simplifying your life, and I have taken those concepts and ran with them. I am more relaxed, less stressed, and more successful as a result.

I've also applied a few of the tips offered in 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips. This book has been a boon for my productivity and my overall success. If you want to be a success in business and in your relationships, then you can find quality advice here. Using both of these books, I have been able to start my own business and achieve success in my industry. I've also been able to follow the 27 Quick Life Transformation Tips to enhance my personal relationships with friends and family. My health has been improved and I'm happier than I've been in a long, long time. All it really takes is a little bit of simplification and following these easy to understand guidelines to really turn your life around.
Read more ›
Comment 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback
Having read the 80/20 Principle by the same author, I found it extremely useful for putting into words what I have been doing for years with my actions and time management. His original book is great but several of those to whom I recommended it got bored, and didn't finish it, or they couldn't see how the business principles had any practical application to their own personal lives. The author acknowledges that this is why he wrote this current book which contains much of the same information as the original but repackaged to be easier to appreciate and apply. If you haven't read either book, I'd recommend this one because it covers most of the important points from the original book, plus adds useful applications to personal life. The numerous examples and exercises will probably prove useful to many readers who want to be more gently guided through these important concepts. I will say this, I agree so much with the principles of this book, that I've been applying them in my own life for many years now, even using exercises much like those presented by Richard Koch. I teach a course entitled "Working and Playing on Purpose," in which one objective is to motivate people to apply the 80/20 rule to their lives. The 80/20 Principle and the 80/20 Way definitely work. If you will read this book, do the exercises, and take action accordingly, I'm confident that you will see a dramatic difference in your life.
Comment 82 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse
Format: Paperback Verified Purchase
This book is about applying Paretto's 80/20 in our life (love, work, etc..)

I would separate the book into two parts:

the first part is quite boring and too philosophically written (though, the whole book is very easy to read). The author is repetitive, sometimes too abstract. Some statements are really fun and ironically saying mind-blowing, like: "if you are poor, money can make you happy". The whole book is full of such an unnecessary, useless statements.

The second part is, where the things are happening. The author forces the reader to think, how could she apply the 80/20 in life. There are lot of quizes, summaries, tables to fill and questions to answer. For example the author forces you to rethink, who are you, what do you want from life, and how to achieve it. IN A FUN WAY!. This type of self-discovery has tredemous value for the reader.

the funny thing is, that the 80/20 is explained in an undirect way (by showing examples of applicability). There are no hard to understand theories, statistics, etc...

Comment 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Yes No Sending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Report abuse