Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

on December 11, 2014
I respectfully disagree with some reviews that characterize this book as only focusing on a few diseases. IMHO Not only does it give a terrific overview of many autoimmune disorders, but it addressed my specific health issues thoroughly. The book notes that If you have one autoimmune disease you are at increased risk for getting another. Didn't know that. For that reason alone, it is good to have as a reference. I wish I had owned it when I thought my fibromyalgia was especially painful, when in fact I was developing a new disease. When I realized that the author was someone I had seen on Public Television (she was very impressive), then that was it. I had to buy this book. Possibly the most useful book I own on this topic.
on April 4, 2014
In trying to manage my autoimmune diseases and syndromes, it's hard to think I've ever get any of my questions answered. This books is a wealth of information and I love it! This is another book I keep at my bedside to grab when I think of a problem that needs answered. I can now speak with knowledge about my illnesses, thanks to all the books I've purchased from Amazon. They are a wealth of knowledge.
on March 14, 2012
I've done a lot of reading on the immune system, so I would say this book was not in-depth enough for me. I was expecting more of a scientific approach, as I heard about this author from her more well-known thyroid book (I know a couple of people who own it). I would recommend others more - Alternative Medicine Guides (although older, still good info) and Kharrazian's book if you are interested in the Immune System at all.

Also, the pages of this book were of terrible low quality - I don't think the book will last around normal wear and tear. I ended up returning it..
on May 14, 2013
Mary Shomon has been an inspiration for me, battling Hashimoto's. The focus turning to autoimmune disease symptoms has been a huge revelation, also getting inspiration from Dr. Noel Rose of Johns Hopkins [...]
and the American Autoimmune Diseases Association aarda.org
Finally an approach that focuses on the general causes and commonalities instead isolating the individual diseases and their symptoms from each other.
on November 23, 2002
This book gives some good background on various autoimmune disorders, some of which I didn't know are actually classified as autoimmune, and some I'd never heard of. However, I found this book to possess more breadth than depth. It mentions many autoimmune disorders, but it does not always go into depth about every disorder that is mentioned; on the other hand some disorders rate their own sections.
This book is worth owning anyway, since it brings up both conventional and alternative treatments, and it's a place to start your journey. If you find something of interest in this book, you'll probably need to reference other books or information elsewhere to get the rest of the details.
on November 25, 2012
As someone that lives with an autoimmune disease this book was very informative. The writer has more information than most doctors out there and the symptoms as well as triggers were ringing true for me. I enjoyed learning ways to adapt and change my current lifestyle to help ease the challenges of my MCTD. I enjoyed reading this book very much.
on January 8, 2018
Great
on June 12, 2007
This is a very informative book. It is well worth keeping on hand for referral. It describes many autoimmune diseases and tells, in many cases, how they are connected. It also tells, whenever possible, how these diseases may get started, what their symptoms are, and how they are treated. Since much of this information is very new to the general public, the book may be of great help to people searching for answers to their own medical problems.
on November 29, 2010
Since I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's, I was looking for specific information on the disease. This book covers various autoimmune diseases and provides general advice on well being, diet, nutrition, supplements, etc. If you have already read "Living Well with Hypothyroidism" - then this book is not necessary for Hashimoto's patients. After reading two of her books, I probably will not buy another Mary Shomon book - I would like to get a different perspective and opinion. It was very repeatitive.
on November 21, 2013
A very helpful, informative book! It goes along way towards explaining the issues with living with autoimmune diseases.

It covers much that was left out of the owner's manual that we weren't issued at birth, but have been struggling without since... (What's up with that?)