Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 66 reviews
There are all kinds of ways to be creative and all of us have our own specific passion. For some it is painting, others are into writing, but there are numerous other types of creative activities which this book explores. This interesting book (Living the creative life: Ideas and inspiration from working artists by Rice Freeman-Zachery) draws from the experience of more than 15 successful artists to explore the many aspects of artistic creativity.

The 144 page soft cover volume is full of practical advice and color illustrations that will delight those who are into creative arts. After a brief introduction there is a short informational section on the 15 artists who contributed to this volume. This wonderful book is organized into 10 chapters. What is creativity? Is answered in chapter one. Chapter two covers “the creative childhood.” “Opening your eyes to inspiration is explored in chapter three. Chapter four deals with “inviting the muse to dinner, even if you don’t believe her.” Ideas on journals, sketchbooks, and notebooks are covered in chapter five. Chapter six gives suggestions on getting started. Chapter seven details work spaces and work habits when doing anything creative. “Companionship, collaboration, commissions and critics” are explained in chapter eight. Chapter nine focuses on “the finished work and its place in the world.” The final chapter provides ideas on “living an artful life.”

This book will expand your horizons and give you numerous ideas on how to be more creative. Even though my own creative skills are limited to writing poetry this book made me more aware of the many other forms of creative arts. I loved this book.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Haiku Moments: How to read, write and enjoy haiku).
on September 16, 2007
This book is a keeper, a touchstone to come back to on those awful, dark
days when I'm sure there isn't a drop of creative energy left. It will sit
in an honored place beside my worktable between Everyday Matters by Danny Gregory and Kaleidoscope by Suzanne Simanaitis. This is where I reach when
the muse sneaks off to play the horses.

Let's face it, many of the books published about collage and mixed media art are profit-driven or a surface scratching prettifying of the creative life. I've bought and been disappointed by several. This book is the real
thing-something to dive into and come up with a pearl of a kick start to
goat-butt you out of your self pitying trough of creative dispair.

Buy the book-you will not be listing it on half.com in two weeks. It will
sit in a honored place for those moments you need something special.
on November 2, 2007
I ordered this book as a fill in to get free shipping - how many times do we do that? To my surprise, I found it worthwhile and would definitely recommend it. I had expected it to be ... I don't know, not new or interesting I suppose - I think I'm feeling innundated with similar books. But I did start reading it and found myself enjoying it. Oddly enough, I returned the other book that inspired the order in the first place, but kept this one.

The one thing I found annoying was that it is written with the assumption that anyone reading it is creativity-challenged. I have had to ignore some pretty simplistic bits of advice on how to bring out my creativity to get what I want out of the book - which is not how to be creative and inspired in the first place (which is not my issue), but how to make that creativity a central part of my daily life. It's too easy to bog down in day to day stuff - important stuff, but time consuming stuff - and not get down and dirty and make art. That's what I need help doing, and I will say that there is inspiration for doing just that.
on January 18, 2010
In my possession is a stamp set that has two phrases: "I am an artist" and "I am not an artist". The former sits clean in the box, the latter is black with use. I am not an artist and will never be an artist...and I'm okay with that. I DO, however, enjoy the creative process--whichever form should happen to emerge at any given time. Taking a path of creativity is taking a journey inward...to the soul and back again.

This lovely book with gorgeous pictures and illustrations is a journey in itself, filled with enticements, wonder and inspiration. Ms. Freeman-Zachary presents 15 very different artists who work with a variety of mediums. Their work is showcased with utmost care and every example glistens with originality and deliciousness.

I especially enjoyed the "try this" prompts throughout the book...nudges to allow my own creative process to sprout wings and soar. The message I received from this lovely book is that I do not have to declare myself an artist in order to live a more creative life. The pressure is off and I can fly ever higher. I have the author to thank for that.
on February 27, 2013
I love this book. I love a lot of the products I review, but this book is definitely in my top 10 (maybe even top 5) of must-have books. Period. I can't tell you how much this book changed my life. In conjunction with SARK's Make Your Creative Dreams Real, I overcame my extreme anxiety and block to create. (Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way also was an immense tool of healing, guidance, and support). If you feel stuck, blocked, or totally creatively discombobulated, pick up this book along with the other two I suggested and be prepared to have your life changed!
on September 10, 2007
Wow! I intended to read this book slowly, but I gulped my way through the first reading. When I finished, I was energized, ready to begin bringing life to the ideas that I've store in my journals, my sketchbooks and the far corners of my mind.

I expected a series of profiles on artists (some are familiar names, some were new to me), but this book is organized so that the personal stories weave around and through each other, allowing the reader to pluck juicy tidbits that resonate.

The mix of artists, the topics covered, the photos of artwork and studios, the candid comments from a range of contemporary creatives with varying styles, approaches and lifestyles -- all combine to make this a much-needed boost to creative minds.

In addition to my own highlighted and annotated copy, I've purchased several copies to give as gifts to creative friends.
on January 3, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed and learned from this remarkable little book. I was at a crossroads as far as continuing to create art or hang it all up. This usually happens around the start of a new year but is also age related this time. I found "Living The Creative Life" to be just the boost I needed. I didn't need another book of creative projects to try, I needed to hear the experiences, motivation, and trials that surround other artists. I thoroughly enjoyed the sketches and color of each page and the well written excerpts. At my age the print could have been a bit larger, but I was not about to put it down . I will definitely keep this book to refer to and motivate me in my art.

Alice Topp
on October 3, 2007
I just got my copy of Living the Creative Life and all I can say is Wow!! It really is fantastic. I love all the hints from the different Artists. You can't wait to get to your own studio after reading this book. It is truly full of inspiring thoughts and ideas and the artwork shown is great! The other thing that is great is that the artists are all really different. It really brings home the idea that everyone is creative and there is room for everyone's vision of Art.
on January 12, 2014
Rice Freeman-Zachery takes you through her own experience in the creative life experience. She also shows how a person's creativity changes and grows in their lives. I found it very interesting since I was in the very beginning years of "finding my way" in the fiber arts and paper arts process.
on March 6, 2008
I did not finish to read the book, however I already love it.
It is a very well-documented and encouraging book for the ones who would like to live a creative life but think they are not able to. A lot of tips to help you find your creative way. The interviewed artists come from different fields and it is very interesting to know more about the way they work and organize their work/life. You learn that there is no magical recipe to become a successful artist (a part maybe of hard work)but that you have to experiment and try, and never give up...