Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis hots Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 591 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 612 reviews
on July 23, 2014
I'm only half way through the first book, but so far it has been great. I've taken several beginning Spanish courses over my lifetime and none of it stuck, but I feel like the design of this course is a lot better because, contrary to what one "reviewer" said, they do NOT just give you a list of words to memorize. You are shown words which will be emphasized in a lesson, but they are presented in context in a variety of ways.

To get 9 CDs and 3+ books for $28 is just an unbelievable bargain especially compared to big-name systems which, ironically, consistently get poor reviews and cost much, much more.

Just after I started this course I stumbled across Duolingo.com which is a free online school for various languages, including Spanish. I've been working it the same time as this system because they each have their own advantages. The main advantage of the Duolingo course is that it is interactive -- you have to type in answers and if you get too many wrong, you have to repeat the lesson. With a non-interactive course, it is easy to lose focus/attention and not realize that you have missed something, which is the case with Living Language.

On the other hand, the speech in Living Language is much clearer and it is easier to back up a bit and repeat something. Also, you can read the LL books and/or listen to the CDs anywhere and any time, while you must be online to use Duolingo.

The Amazon page and other Living Language materials say that you can just listen to the CDs to learn Spanish without using the book. While that may be theoretically possible, it would be VERY much harder and time consuming. For one thing, the book has extra exercises to reinforce your learning which the CDs do not have. Another thing is that listening to spoken Spanish and reading it at the same doubles your learning capacity as aural and visual input are stored in different parts of the brain and subsequently reinforce each other. If you do not look at the book while listening to the CDs, you are simply missing out on that.

IMO, the best way to use this course is to read and listen to a chapter at the same time, then read the chapter again, working the extra exercises, then repeat both of these steps until you feel comfortable that you have learned the material. I would only listen to the CDs by themselves, such as in a car, as additional reinforcement. But I seriously doubt that anyone can learn Spanish by listening one time to these CDs while driving around (hopefully also focusing on traffic, etc.).
44 comments| 304 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 21, 2016
THIS IS BETTER THAN ROSETTA STONE...Ordered the product because it offers audio CDs from Essentials to Advanced along with corresponding Physical in your hand workbooks and FREE online learning access from your computer or access device. Product is sold at Barnes and Nobel at $50.and sets right next to Rosetta Stone for $250. I had previously purchased Rosetta Stone which provides no workbooks and the online access costs $14 per month or $89 per year....this after you pay a premium price for something that is no better than this product. Rosetta Stones model is to charge you a lot of money for a product that does not provide audio CDs so you can learn while driving to work..just software to load on a computer as backup...Rosetta continues to ride on the coat tails of a so yesterday novel idea without really advancing the product beyond finding ways to continue charging you for something already paid for...limits you to two computers...no customer service beyond telling you to read the instructions...Rosetta stones computer presentation and online website is nothing special either...so save yourself a lot of grief because at the end of the day YOU do all the work with these lessons..question is how much do you want to spend because no self taught course will do it for you. Order this product and do the work...
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 22, 2016
It is currently March 22, 2016. I formally dedicated to learning Spanish (from scratch) at our clinic staff meeting in May of 2015, at which point I purchased this material. In contrast to my high school German, I was clearly at my own pace with this study, and I proceeded at one lesson each week, regardless of how easy some seemed (with the exception of numbers, which went more quickly). I finished the material last night, and I am very pleased with my handle on the language in the clinical setting. I do appreciate sentence structure and generally things grammatical. That being said, if you are not keen on the subjunctive mood, indirect object pronouns and similar grammatical elements as such, the books provide brief descriptions of each as they are encountered. The authors did not presume grammatical prowess.

In the process of this study, I often found myself wanting to apply certain phrases or constructs in other contexts, and I discovered spanishdict.com to be exceedingly helpful. Here I could posit a potential sentence and see how it translated through three different translators. I also used the site for more clarity on certain grammatical points. This allowed me to bridge the gap between the study content and things clinical (or whatever your setting might be).

Let me strongly suggest this highly-cost-effective material for anyone who has no certain knowledge of the Spanish language.
on March 23, 2017
I absolutely love the Living Language Set. I purchased this in Spanish and Japanese for myself. German and French for others. I can honestly say I am 100% impressed with ALL of these sets. The language instructions and pronunciations are clear. The Spanish set includes the: Essentials, Intermediate and Advanced book, as well as a notebook to take notes and 9 CD's (3 for each book). It also has a nice box that holds all of the material. The price is a great investment! I would definitely recommend this product!
on February 27, 2017
Just getting started with lesson set but it seems like it is exactly what I need to learn Spanish. The cd's correspond with the lesson books and are very easy to follow.
on October 8, 2015
This is a good course if you want to listen and learn with a book. This is a CD course, not DVD so there is no visual learning, but it covers the basics, the lessons are targeted to help you learn and expand on what you know at that point. I have only worked with the first book so far but am very pleased with the course and at the price this is excellent value for money.
on March 25, 2017
I really like it...the cd's are easily understood and great when you follow along with the book.
on August 1, 2017
This product is helpful with other learning tools that reinforce the information on the CDs. Speech on CDs are clear. There are also helpful hints for grammar throughout the lessons. The lessons are pretty straight forward so it's not going to really include scenarios or dialogue with settings, in comparison to Idiots Guide To Spanish. But just was movies or shows online for this. Received all items and in very good condition.
on April 24, 2014
Having completed Living Language Spanish, Complete Edition, I took an online Spanish aptitude test and was graded at an A2 level, which is still elementary. I would say that the Living Language course is a good introduction to Spanish, but you certainly won't be able to speak Spanish or even read a newspaper after finishing the course.
on March 16, 2017
I love this program. It's so full of information, so if you purchase this prepare to go thru it all very slowly in order to digest all of the information and retain it. One thing I will say about any language learning program is, unless you have someone to regularly practice with, you're not going to learn much. Memorization only takes you so far, so unless you have regular access to someone to converse with, this will most likely end up sitting on your shelf.