Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 22, 2016
It is currently March 22, 2016. I formally dedicated to learning Spanish (from scratch) at our clinic staff meeting in May of 2015, at which point I purchased this material. In contrast to my high school German, I was clearly at my own pace with this study, and I proceeded at one lesson each week, regardless of how easy some seemed (with the exception of numbers, which went more quickly). I finished the material last night, and I am very pleased with my handle on the language in the clinical setting. I do appreciate sentence structure and generally things grammatical. That being said, if you are not keen on the subjunctive mood, indirect object pronouns and similar grammatical elements as such, the books provide brief descriptions of each as they are encountered. The authors did not presume grammatical prowess.

In the process of this study, I often found myself wanting to apply certain phrases or constructs in other contexts, and I discovered spanishdict.com to be exceedingly helpful. Here I could posit a potential sentence and see how it translated through three different translators. I also used the site for more clarity on certain grammatical points. This allowed me to bridge the gap between the study content and things clinical (or whatever your setting might be).

Let me strongly suggest this highly-cost-effective material for anyone who has no certain knowledge of the Spanish language.
11 comment| 107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 23, 2014
I'm only half way through the first book, but so far it has been great. I've taken several beginning Spanish courses over my lifetime and none of it stuck, but I feel like the design of this course is a lot better because, contrary to what one "reviewer" said, they do NOT just give you a list of words to memorize. You are shown words which will be emphasized in a lesson, but they are presented in context in a variety of ways.

To get 9 CDs and 3+ books for $28 is just an unbelievable bargain especially compared to big-name systems which, ironically, consistently get poor reviews and cost much, much more.

Just after I started this course I stumbled across Duolingo.com which is a free online school for various languages, including Spanish. I've been working it the same time as this system because they each have their own advantages. The main advantage of the Duolingo course is that it is interactive -- you have to type in answers and if you get too many wrong, you have to repeat the lesson. With a non-interactive course, it is easy to lose focus/attention and not realize that you have missed something, which is the case with Living Language.

On the other hand, the speech in Living Language is much clearer and it is easier to back up a bit and repeat something. Also, you can read the LL books and/or listen to the CDs anywhere and any time, while you must be online to use Duolingo.

The Amazon page and other Living Language materials say that you can just listen to the CDs to learn Spanish without using the book. While that may be theoretically possible, it would be VERY much harder and time consuming. For one thing, the book has extra exercises to reinforce your learning which the CDs do not have. Another thing is that listening to spoken Spanish and reading it at the same doubles your learning capacity as aural and visual input are stored in different parts of the brain and subsequently reinforce each other. If you do not look at the book while listening to the CDs, you are simply missing out on that.

IMO, the best way to use this course is to read and listen to a chapter at the same time, then read the chapter again, working the extra exercises, then repeat both of these steps until you feel comfortable that you have learned the material. I would only listen to the CDs by themselves, such as in a car, as additional reinforcement. But I seriously doubt that anyone can learn Spanish by listening one time to these CDs while driving around (hopefully also focusing on traffic, etc.).
66 comments| 375 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 21, 2016
THIS IS BETTER THAN ROSETTA STONE...Ordered the product because it offers audio CDs from Essentials to Advanced along with corresponding Physical in your hand workbooks and FREE online learning access from your computer or access device. Product is sold at Barnes and Nobel at $50.and sets right next to Rosetta Stone for $250. I had previously purchased Rosetta Stone which provides no workbooks and the online access costs $14 per month or $89 per year....this after you pay a premium price for something that is no better than this product. Rosetta Stones model is to charge you a lot of money for a product that does not provide audio CDs so you can learn while driving to work..just software to load on a computer as backup...Rosetta continues to ride on the coat tails of a so yesterday novel idea without really advancing the product beyond finding ways to continue charging you for something already paid for...limits you to two computers...no customer service beyond telling you to read the instructions...Rosetta stones computer presentation and online website is nothing special either...so save yourself a lot of grief because at the end of the day YOU do all the work with these lessons..question is how much do you want to spend because no self taught course will do it for you. Order this product and do the work...
22 comments| 177 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 24, 2017
Great product
on November 11, 2017
so far ok
on March 19, 2017
Great learning book!
on April 9, 2017
Great for long car rides!
on July 29, 2017
not bad
on July 30, 2017
Good.
on November 17, 2015
I am learning so much! I am a beginner and appreciate the cd's so I can prove my pronunciation. There has been a couple of errors which I actually found so far which proves I am learning. Thanks for creating this within my budget course.