BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Living More with Less
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 29, 2013
This was a good read but I would've preferred the original writings of the author only. Had I noticed the additional added content prior to purchase, I would've rethought buying. It seemed to me like it was a "toned down" version of the clear, forward message the original author, Doris, was trying to convey in her included excerpts. I walked away not feeling quite the urgency I had hoped because of the lack of directness and excessive filler. I wanted red meat and felt like I got chicken ceasar salad. None the less, it is a good book for today's contemporary crowd that doesn't want to fully commit to sudden or dramatic changes but subtle long term inclusions.
on May 8, 2014
Hats off to the publisher for re-issuing an updated edition of this visionary and inspiring work. The challenge to us all to reconsider how we live our lives is as relevant today as it was when first published back in the 1970s, as a follow-up to the 'More with Less Cookbook'. This updated, revised edition has many new inclusions that provide background, context and the history underpinning the original book. There are also stories and practical examples of how readers of the original work have in the intervening years attempted to apply the Doris Longacre's guiding principles in their own lives and in today's world, thus informing and enriching the original text. If you are seeking a "do-able", positive answer to the questions "What's the biggest problem facing the world today, and what can I do about it?", then I recommend this new edition of 'Living More with Less'.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2011
Writing in 1979, shortly before her untimely death, Doris Janzen Longacre "knew then what many people are just now discovering: living with less can bring more joy and contentment than living with a lot." Unfortunately, in the thirty years that have passed since the first edition of Live More With Less, most of our culture's trends have gone exactly against this philosophy. The go-go years of the 90s and early 00s led only to more and more consumption, larger houses, more clothes (did you know that census data shows Americans bought 75% more clothing in 2005 than in 1995?), and on and on.

With the changed economic climate of the past couple of years, perhaps there is no better time than now to read through and act upon the many good thoughts in this challenging book. Christians in North America especially should find much to ponder, pray about, and then act upon, both personally and as congregational groups.

This edition includes large sections of the 1980 text unchanged, but adds in a large number of essays and comments from Mennonites and others with suggestions for living "more with less" even, or especially, in the 21st century. Here you will find idea starters, suggestions, and examples of how many Christians around the world have been able to "live more with less" and have found great joy and fulfillment in the process.

Definitely something to be considered for anyone seeking to live out their Christian faith winsomely and wisely.
on October 2, 2014
Wonderful advice for an empty nester and retiree.
on June 3, 2016
I have read many books on this topic but this is real, not a fad of the times. Gives doable and helpful advice. Loved it and made a difference in our lives.
on October 9, 2017
Misordered both book title and number. So I have two unread books
on June 3, 2016
My wife purchased this to do more without so much stuff. It has really helped to help us appreciate what we have and what we don't need.
on December 8, 2015
A classic for those who wish to live a less selfish, less materialistic life.
on January 27, 2014
We have been married for thirty years and this was a wedding gift. We wore out the first copy and the second copy is pretty tattered so bought an electronic copy to have with me. Unlike many "Life Purpose" cookbooks this one makes good sense from moral, ethical, health and financial perspectives. This is not a passing fad book that you buy all excited and then stuff in a drawer after a few months.
on December 15, 2012
This book is a great resource for people looking for ideas regarding "living simply so that others may simply live" . It has lots of great ideas for everyday living, holidays, etc. Reads well and is not dated.