Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Living My Life (Penguin Classics)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on September 15, 2011
I have no issue with the book itself, I'd just like those who purchase this book to know that this is only the first half of Emma Goldmans "Living My Life". I bought this copy under the impression that it would be her entire autobiography. It would be helpful if this important piece of information were included in the description of this book somewhere.
33 comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2008
I consider this autobiography as essential reading for anyone interested in the history of the United States, or early 20th century international political history. Beyond its value as a historical document, 'Living My Life' is also a gripping read. Goldman was a real adventurer, a real revolutionary after a design that seems forgotten today. The stories that come from her rough and tumble experiences in America, the still-born Soviet Union, and Europe, are breathtaking, heartbreaking, and pertinent in our own age of political and economic instability.

I firmly believe that this book should be required reading in American high schools or junior highs, especially for young women. The very fact that Goldman still comes off as so dangerously radical is testimony to both her brilliance and courage, and to the lack of change that typifies most of the world's social systems.

I agree with other reviewers' assessment of Goldman's writing abilities, but she was an ideologue more than an artist. Where her political philosophy is concerned, she is definitely uncompromising. However, Goldman seems to me much more human than many of the era's major revolutionary figures. Her devotion to the liberation and well-being of women and her renouncement of terrorist tactics in her later life demonstrate this quite sufficiently. The long relationship between Goldman and Alexander Berkman reveals the personal cost of revolutionary activity and is probably worth a book of its own.
on November 4, 2013
This is great Emma Goldman, but in a truly *terrible* edition. The cover and binding look like some kind of horrible on-demand crapola, the text is 284 pages of close-to-6-point type in some annoying face that looks like spider tracks, and there's no publisher info beyond the ISBN. Who dealt this mess?
on February 2, 2016
Obviously, I love it. It's my introduction. But I'm puzzled by the objections about the font and size. The Penguiin edition has not been issued in small print. I am not a young reader with excellent vision. No problem with the size of print. Also, I wish to caution readers that this is an abridged version of Volumes I and II of the autobiography as originally published by Norton. Sorry I haven't logged in sooner.
on January 14, 2014
You have got to be kidding. I waited excitedly for this book to come. What a bummer it is! The print is so small I cannot read it. For the first time I feel ripped off by Amazon. I've never returned anything, but this book is going back. I had to put one star or this review would not go through.
on January 1, 2011
The Autobiography of Emma Goldman was a fascinating read. I could not put the book down. I am a history teacher and am fascinated with United States history from 1890-1920. After reading a biography of Eugene Debs and reading about John Reed, I wanted to find out more about the life of Emma Goldman. Her life was devoted to anarchism, which is not studied much today. Her life is full of intrigue and I was especially interested in her time spent in the early Soviet Union. This is an absorbing book that all followers of United States radical history should read.
on April 16, 2012
I was looking forward to reading this book but unfortunately, found the small size of the print made it impossible. I have been buying all kinds of books from Amazon for years and this is the first one I could not read comfortably even with my glasses. (Hope I can find one with larger print.)
on August 4, 2015
Beautiful copy! $5.00. What a great deal! And Emma Goldman is my spirit animal
on December 16, 2011
They say revolutionaries are doomed, from the time they are born they are destined to die for the people. This book is a voice that can only come from the heart and mind of miss goldman. It has also taught me that to fight for an ideal one must make sacrifices. It is hard to believe that every thing that happened in this book happened to her, I wish I could have been there with here. Great read, anybody whose anybody will love or at least like this book.
on November 8, 2014