BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on January 19, 2011
When Melissa Tosetti opened the "Introduction" with a descriptive contrast between the "Average Woman" and the "Savvy Woman", I was hooked. Refreshingly, I feel that I am doing well in living a "savvy life". I have implemented so many changes in my lifestyle over the past five years that many of the points she makes on how to shop for clothing, food and travel already resonate with me. By reading her book, I felt more validated by my choices. After all, when living in a world surrounded by "Average Women", it can sometimes feel pretty lonely being "savvy".

Her book is full of references, equations and lists that make for easy to follow advice. I loved the information provided on pages 174-175 about financial rules to follow in order to prosper (I have been looking for those equations for a long time). Each of the main chapters that focus on certain life subjects (ie: Home, Food, Money,Beauty,etc) has a Top 10 List recap of the chapter. I took a lot of interest in the chapters on "Food" and "Money". I am now putting forth the effort to look at recipes, list exactly what I need to make those recipes and then go grocery shopping. I know this is going to help us keep our grocery bill down and it will keep me organized with meal planning.

Another tip I am employing is keeping a "Spending Book". I am constantly seeing things I would like to purchase. My old self would have thought nothing of throwing it in the cart (real or virtual) and "buy it now"-even if that had meant charging it. By using a "spending book", this means saving and planning ahead for purchases and/or emergencies. Keeping a list of things I want or need close at hand, will help me to control my spending and not make frivolous purchases I will regret later. OH! And did you know about Ebates? I sure didn't and it kills me to think about how much money I lost on such ignorance.

All in all, this is going to be one book that doesn't rest on the bookshelf too long. I will be repeatedly reaching for it and referring to it for its fine, simple, non-preachy advice.
on August 16, 2012
This book was a bit too self-congratulatory for me, as it seemed to be about the author's personal lifestyle more than "living the savvy life." It was about acquiring very basic life skills. If it were marketed as a book about how to be competent, I would be less critical. I am in my low 30s and have already learned all of these basic life tips. I can see how the cooking section could be helpful to people who have not yet learned how to cook simple, healthy meals. The wardrobe editing tips were helpful, particularly the section on how to organize clothing and jewelry, and how to avoid impulse purchases and shop with purpose. This book was not without some merit, but I think that most people shopping for this book probably have mastered such basic concepts.
on May 19, 2014
I found this book to be incredibly mind-numbing. It seems to be written toward an audience of extremely indulgent individuals who are learning the very basics of how to scale back spending. They're incredibly simple ideas - ones you can probably find for free with a "how to save money" search on the Internet. If you're going to be a resource - be a resource. Give some unique ideas. There's an entire chapter about what kind of tools and utensils to have in your kitchen...come on. So, bottom line is I did not find this book or the information in it to be anything new or helpful. If you have a retirement account, a savings account, don't eat out every other day of the week or go shopping every weekend...you're already ahead of the game as far as the content of this book is concerned. Be savvy and spend your money elsewhere!
on August 27, 2014
There are some good tips in the book. Just a bit too much product placement in the book for my taste, and I skimmed through much of the stories. Although I'm sure the stories, links etc. were meant as a benefit, I just had a feeling it was sales tactics/promo.

I did enjoy her take on avoiding following fads, mindless spending, and spending on things important to you vs. not important. Those tips are a good reminder on how to keep your money in your pocket book, and a good reminder I'm on the right track. My husband and I have already undergone most the changes she suggested, so I was hoping the book offered a bit more.
on February 4, 2011
This is not one of those personal finance books that try to turn you into an expert on the stock market. You know, the kind of book you browse through. . .and then decide it looks like a lot of time and work, so you ditch it. In contrast, the content of this book is completely approachable. The actions it proposes are simple, logical, and easy to execute, but they have the potential to help you make significant changes in many aspects of your life. The tone is positive and encouraging, but also eminently practical. There is nothing radical or gimmicky here, and you don't need to spend a lot of time studying Wall Street. It's just sound, basic advice from two authors who walk their talk. Of course they recommend many ways of saving money--but they don't recommend extreme denial. Their philosophy is: think about what you really want, and think about how you want to allocate your resources. It's not just about your money; it's also about your your time, your energy, your well-being, and your overall happiness. The goal is to live richly and purposefully.
on November 29, 2011
I've read a few other financial advice books, but this one really spoke to me! I love the ideas in this book and I found it extremely impowering! This book covers areas that you won't typically find in other financial planning books- such as skin care and beauty, eating out, and vacation planning. It really changed the way I think about money and financial planning. I'm planning to buy a few copies to give away as gifts to friends and family members.
on April 25, 2017
What a motivating and inspiring book. Definitely some true life lessons that I have yet to forget, hopefully never will.
on August 6, 2012
If you need motivation to stay on track financially, this may be the pick-me-up that keeps you on target for your financial goals. I didn't think the book flowed well (some stuff that was added seemed like a poor fit to the other material in the book and some things she lightly touched on and I wished she had written more.) I couldn't help but feel the author tooted her own horn a bit on her personal accomplishments, so I rolled my eyes a few times as I read, but I will keep this one around. It falls into the section on my bookshelf where I stuff Suze Orman books and like items (try "The Real Cost of Living" for an interesting read). When I am tempted to overspend or splurge, I pull out these books and read until I feel balanced again.
on October 30, 2012
This book is not a deep study of economics but it is full of simple tips on how to save or spend in a way that makes your life more enjoyable for always, not just for a short time that the latest purchase stays trendy. The advice may be trite or just common sense but it appears to be advice that many people need to hear. The book is divided into chapters on saving, spending for clothes, travel, groceries etc. It also has some tips on how to stay organized. It recommends keeping inventory of what you have so you don't buy something because you can't find the one or two or three you already have. Basically it recmmends a system of having a place for everything and everything in its place. This is a pretty light-hearted read and not near as preachy as one or two others I've read in this same theme. At the end it gives a list of resources online and in that one can access for further information. All in all a fun little resource that is not insulting to those who don't need it but can be quite helpful to those who do.
on February 16, 2012
A lot of the advice in the book I alredy heard elsewhere, but what I really found great is that Melissa actually gave multiple options per problem - like three different ways to budget, for example - so each individual can choose the best solution for his/her personality. I liked that this style of saving can be applied to all different people - if you absolutely cannot live without Manolos, make that part of your budget. Just be wise about it. I also loved all the websites and places to go for ideas on how to be thrift. I also started asking my everyday style icons where they shop - got LOADS of great tips for local shops. I highly reccommend this book :)