Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 11-20 of 39 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 59 reviews
on August 8, 2014
I think he is a beautiful writer, but I kept wondering when the book would end. It just went on too long...
on September 3, 2015
Alan Gurganus is probably one of the finest Southern writers of our time.
on October 19, 2014
Beautiful use and composition of language. Great characters and storyline.
VINE VOICEon January 14, 2014
I wanted to like this book and I think I would have if I could have just gotten to the stories buried beneath the painfully overwrought prose. It seems that Gurganus forgot about writing about real human beings and lifting a reader off the page with simple imagery and real emotion. Instead it seems he wants to impress us with his ability to cleverly turn a phrase. I don't read to be impressed; I read to be entertained and enlightened. This book, sadly, did neither.
on March 4, 2014
I love stories about people living in small towns and the quirky characters that often appear. However, in this book, no one was engaging. No one was remarkable.

The first two stories rambled along well enough to make me give it a chance. However, once into the third story, I was hard pressed to see where the story was going. I decided not to waste any more time and did not finish the book.

A huge disappointment. Sorry I am stuck with it on my Kindle.
on September 30, 2014
I liked the first story very much. the characters were interesting,the situation unusual. The second one was just okay. The third one was long and boring. I really disliked the main character and could not get myself to sympathize with him at all. I actually kept wishing he'd go ahead and die. Between that, the writing style and the author's silly views of Republicans, the third story seemed long, annoying and self-indulgent.
on November 12, 2013
Fabulous
on December 27, 2013
His Oldest Confederate Widow book is one of my favorites. Despite the mixed reviews and I do look at reviews before I buy most any book except for a few favorite authors, I went ahead and uploaded this. Wonderful...interesting...yes, the prologue has unusual verbiage...it does not continue. I hope this helps others. I do not want to see a "book report" when I read reviews. I want to read a book for myself without others telling me the story. So, I am giving you my response to reading this only. I have only read the first part but it is well worth my time and money. Good reading to all. :)
on May 2, 2014
I am beginning to hate professional book reviewers. They describe books as writers, not as readers. I was lured into buying this book by positive notices in prestigious journals and made my way through most of the first novella, barely sampled the second, and skimmed rapidly through the third. It's too bad The Ladies Home Journal (I believe) is no longer in print, as these stories would have made great serial fare for that magazine.
on October 25, 2013
Gurganus is a master story teller and I could not stop reading a chapter without finishing it. But... in the end, I wonder what the point of reading the stories is. Other than a platform for Gurganus' brilliant writing, the stories seemed to have no meaning or point. It is like reading a bystander's thoughts as he takes in the "local souls" and there is no particular reason to want to hear the stories.

Nina Broyles Fleshman