Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 250 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 292 reviews
on January 20, 2013
I got this adapter to see if I could use my old computer's Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers with my Samsung 55 inch flat screen TV. After all, it's a good set of speakers, but it had 3 wires to attach to the computer's sound card, and of course the TV has two wires for audio out. It works great, all six speakers sound good--even the woofer rumbles and gives a whole new dimension to watching a movie! Other reviewers note that this may not be true surround sound--but at this price and for the result you get, it is terrific! BTW, I have very little technical ability, I just read a lot, so if you--like me--just want to use your computer speakers (with 3 in wires) with your TV--this works great!
on January 30, 2016
I first bought the 5.1 adapter because I needed a way to connect my television to a set of Logitech surround sound speakers.

After receiving the adapter in the mail, I couldn't wait to plug it in and be surrounded with surround sound.

Little did I know, the television I was trying to plug it into only had digital optical audio out because, I mean, why would I just be able to run a few analogs out and be surrounded with surround sound?

After running to the local electronic store and purchasing a digital optical cable, paired with an optical-to-analog converter, I was able to be surrounded with sound.

Long story short, the adapter works wonderfully.

However, whenever I power on the television there is some static, but I believe it's from the converter clearing it's throat so it can surround me with surround sound.

With a few tweaks, if need be, you too can be surrounded with surround sound.
on June 1, 2012
i use this for watching tv and playing ps3(mostly battlefield 3) and i have to say from just using the 3.5 mm jack and using the matrix button on my logitech x-540 to using this adapter it makes a world of difference it sounds crisper and cleaner out of all the speakers and even though its not true 5.1 surround sound, a 9 dollar adapter sure makes it seem like it is :) very happy with this adapter

UPDATE: i did notice that when using the RCA to 3.5 mm jack from the back of the tv connected to the sub woofer along with the matrix button(that imitates 5.1 out of a stereo source) on my X-540 the sound was louder compared to using it with the adapter but compared to using the adapter, the adapter is just better because it truly takes advantage of all speakers and it sounds cleaner and crisper
on July 19, 2017
I purchased this adapter to replace the original one I lost. It works very well and I have not had any audio problems since I got it.
on May 19, 2017
Audible difference in the sound quality of my system going from a standard 2 rca setup to three.
on August 28, 2012
I had a desktop computer that I used to play games on. The computer had 5.1 audio card so I purchased a Logitech 5.1 surround sound system. I now use a laptop, and don't really play very many games, nor do I watch movies on my computer. So, I don't really have a very big need to have 5.1 surround sound coming from my computer.

So I was looking for a way to make the best use of the five speakers and subwoofer that I have and are still really very good. The problem is that the connectors that go to the Logitech 5.1 speakers are three mini headset plugs. So, I could only plug-in one of them (and obviously it was the right left channel plug). This made three of my speakers and my subwoofer basically useless. The right and left channel amplified speakers still sounded very good (and a hell of a lot better than the laptop speakers), but I wanted to use ALL of the speakers that I have.

I could spend $50+ on an external sound card that would allow me to have true 5.1 sound (and I still might), but I don't really see why I would need that based on how I use my computer. I decided to give this little device and try, and so far it's been working great. It is true that I am not actually getting 5.1 audio. I am however getting stereo audio through all five of the speakers and subwoofer. And that's really all I wanted to begin with.

The connector is of solid construction the cables fit tight and I'm not having any sort of audio issues. If you don't really care about having 5.1 audio, and you'd like to get something that is inexpensive and will allow you to use all of your speakers if you have a 5.1 audio system, this is the device for you.
on August 7, 2010
Ok i think there is allot of confusion about what this does.
Technically what it does is splits the stereo input that separate it into 3 stereo outputs, now this is good if you want to be surrounded in sound but if you want closer to real 5.1 sound then you need a system that has a Pro Logic II setting. I brought this to go along with my Z5500 and it works great for my Wii. When i tried to use the cable that came with my Logitech X540 it only took the stereo sound and converted it into a single 3.5 socket which begged the question "WTF is the use for this Y adapter?" Now when using this adapter its simulated 5.1 surround but its good enough. When playing Mario Kart Wii, when someone shoots a red shell from behind me i hear the sound of the warning coming from behind me, when something blows up in front of me i hear the sound coming from in front of me, when someone star and zooms past me i hear the sound coming from the back then depending if they go left or right i hear the sound on that side of me then in front of me. Same goes for when playing Red Steel 2, enemies from behind, i hear them from behind. I thin hooked it up to my DS and it did the same thing in mario kart DS when the game was set to surround sound in the options.

In all i think this is only for those that have a speaker system like the Z5500 that has analog 5.1 audio 3.5 input jacks with Pro Logic II capabilities and want to connect a game system, It will work with the X540 but the matrix mode leaves you begging for more once you hear it on a real Pro Logic II device. Even when i connect my computer to the Z5500 via optical cable and play Modern Warfare 2 it sounds the same when those dogs like sneaking up on me from the back as Mario Kart sounds with the shells.

So it all depends on what audio system this is going to be used on.
Side note, this should have came for free with the Z5500 like the Y adapter came with the X540.
on December 17, 2013
Life savior it is!

Pros:

You won't have to buy a decoder or a new home theater sound system. This tiny thing does the job!

Cons:

It's too expensive. Should be half the price.
on April 7, 2015
I received this item a lot sooner than I expected. It only took a few seconds to hook up. Wow! I had almost forgotten what a great system my surround sound is. I'm glad to have it back. I finally have a home theater instead of just a wide screen tv. I'm sure glad this worked. Thanks!
on August 18, 2015
We had an old computer high end stereo system sitting around doing nothing. It outlasted the computer technology but it was still perfectly good. These days, we don't listen to our CD's through the computer so how do you make use of something like old computer speakers. I purchased this item and a Y adapter for a headphone jack on an MP3 player. For a few dollars we now have a sound system that rocks for my phone or my Zune (don't laugh, it wasn't being used either-now it has a second life)