BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 22, 2010
UPDATED
Logitech Alert System is interfering with my Power Line Network Adapters (PLNAs) - SOLVED
I have tried several PLNAs and none of them work when the Logitech adapter is plugged into any of our AC outlets.

I have found a simple workaround...
- Plug the main Logitech Adapter into the isolated side of a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)* and its Ethernet cord into the router.
- Plug the camera adapter into one of the outlets on same UPS strip
- - If the camera is far away from your UPS (as it was for me) then
- Install a Power Line Network Adapter near the camera and install a 48 V PoE (Power over Ethernet) adapter btw the PLNA and the camera

That's it.
Search for the cameras as you normally would from the Logitech User Interface and you are in business.
* I have tried several isolated surge protectors THEY DID NOT DO THE JOB OF ELIMINATING THE LOGITECH ADAPTER INTERFERENCE.

ORIGINAL REVIEW
First of all the SETUP is very easy. The on screen prompts will take you though the steps.
1. Install the software.
2. Plug the master network adapter into the power outlet and plug the Ethernet cable into your router
3. Plug the camera into power outlet and click yes to update firmware (adapters and camera).
NOTE: Do not unplug the camera or the master adapter during the update.

Wow that was easy. It took less than 15 minutes to get the system up and running.
You can even use your neighbors WiFi signal (please ask first) - more below.

PICTURE QUALITY
The picture quality is great (but not HD and not what you have come to expect from a digital camera) during daylight hours but not so great at capturing clear pictures of moving objects in total darkness. However in my case I have a flood light with motion detector that comes on when someone enters the area at night making the video bright and clear.

MOTION DETECTION
What I like is that you can draw areas on the actual image from the video camera to trigger recording. In other words you can eliminate false recordings from cars going by or movement outside your property.
You set up each camera individually providing ultimate flexibility in alerts, sensitivity and recording. In addition, once you have created a LogitechAlert account, you can select which cameras triggers an email alert.

EMAIL ALERTS
You set the LogitechAlert account up from the Settings Menu (the gearwheel icon).
From here you can enter several email addresses. I have mine set to send a text to my cell phone (as I don't have a smart phone with email and web access).

Most cell phone providers offers an email address starting with your cell phone number that will be forwarded to you as a text message.
Please look the email address up on your providers web page. I can not put them up due to Amazon posting regulations.

You may get charged for each text by your cell phone provider so make sure to set the Alert Frequency and Motion Filter conservatively (from within the Settings Menu - Alerts-Advanced).
As mentioned above, I have not received one false alarm although my system is still set using the default values.

RECORDING WITH PC TURNED OFF - THIS IS A GREAT FEATURE.
The camera(s) stores all motion triggered activity regardless if you have the PC on or off. To review all recorded activity, start the PC and click the "Enter Playback Mode" icon. A very intuitive calendar and timeline shows up indicating recordings. Point to a time and click on play to see the activity.
UPDATE:
You can review/playback history from only the dedicated PC on your network.
Logitech suggests not loading the software on more than on PC on the network.
If you do, you can only watch live video but review/playback will not work from the other PC's (also unexpected results may occur).

NOTE: You can view the real time images from anywhere on the web with the free Logitech Web Alert Viewer. To get full control with playback via a remote PC you must purchase the Logitech Web and Mobile Commander for an annual fee* of $80 (at the time of this writing).
Unless...
You keep a PC turned on all the time and control it from any PC (or web enabled phone) on the web using Teamviewer or LogMeIn (both are free for private use - you can download the programs from Cnet.com). Then you can access the Logitech Alert Commander interface as you normally do from home.
UPDATE 1: I am using the free version of LogMeIn and it works great. The only disadvantage is that you can not hear audio from the home computer. But you can see the live video feed and use playback along with camera adjustments etc. Actually you can operate your home computer just as if you were sitting in front of it. You can access it from work or anywhere in the world via the internet.
UPDATE 2: I have now used both remote programs for over a month. Logmein appear to be unreliable with respect to video quality. TEAMVIEWER IS THE WINNER (To get perfect video quality: select "View", "Optimize Quality" from the TeamViewer screen on the remote computer). TeamViewer will also let you transfer recorded video files (or any file for that matter) when you are away from home.

Cost for leaving your home computer on all the time.
The cost for a 40 Watts consumer** 24 hours per day, 365 days per year = $35/year at $0.10 per kWh.
However, Teamviewer allows you to use "Wake Up On LAN" so you can turn your home computer on from the remote computer (Too much to cover here).
For details Google: How does Wake-on-LAN with TeamViewer work?

* Come on Logitech!!! Reduce it to a $50 one time fee and sell more systems to happier customers.
** One UPS manufacturer estimates 40 watts power consumption from an entry level desk top with a 20 LCD monitor. Turn the monitor off and bring the cost down even more. Also set the hard drive to turn off if not in use via Windows "Power Options Interface". You may also be able to set the home computer to "Wake up on LAN".

INSTALLATION OF THE CAMERA'S POWER/DATA ADAPTER IN THE ATTIC
First of all I wanted to hide the wire to the camera.
Logitech's instructions show the power/data wire going from the camera to a power outlet on the side of the house.
Consequently a thief can easily unplug the camera.

Solution
Pull an extension cord from a power outlet in the attic (or somewhere else) and connect it to the grey power supply/adapter for the camera.
IT WORKS!!!
NOTE: WHATEVER YOU DO WHEN PULLING WIRES MAKE SURE THEY ARE IN COMPLIANCE WITH LOCAL CODES.
I know Logitech Customer Service had told another reviewer "The adapters CANNOT be installed in the attic".
Logitech may be concerned about high attic temperatures present in some climates.
My attic does not get very hot; in addition I mounted the adapter just above the lower perimeter soffit vent where outside air constantly flows in.

The power/data Ethernet cable to the exterior camera (mounted under the roof overhang) is now routed through the soffit to the camera adapter in the attic.
Drill a 9/16" (14 mm) hole to allow the Ethernet plug to pass through the soffit. Mount the power adapter over the soffit vent with the power cable coming out at the top as shown in Logitech's instructions.
NOTE: I used a 100 foot grounded heavy duty extension cord plugged into a grounded power outlet. I don't know if using a grounded outlet and grounded extension cord matters because none of the adapters are equipped with grounded plugs. You may not need a heavy duty cord as the camera adapter uses very little power.

PREVENT BLACKOUT DURING POWER OUTAGES USING A UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
I still want the surveillance system to work during power outages or if the power line to the house is cut.
The Manual tell you it will not work if you use a surge protector or UPS.

Solution
I already have the cable modem and the wireless router plugged into an APC BN600R Battery Backup (UPS), so all I had to do was to plug the black Logitech network adapter into the UPS and pull an extension cord from the UPS to the grey Logitech camera adapter. All the equipment is fed from a single UPS.
IT WORKS!!!
The disadvantage is that you have to pull extension cord(s) from the UPS to the camera adapters. In my case it was not a problem because the extension cord would drop down from the attic between the studs in one of the walls to where I have my router.
I am sure you can use a higher capacity UPS as long as ALL your Logitech adapters are connected to it.

SOUND/AUDIO
Out of the box there was no audio from the camera.

To turn the sound on:
1) Un-mute from the Command screen (slider at the right hand bottom) and
2) Click on Settings (gearwheel icon) and click on the camera name (your camera(s) will be listed by the name you give them during setup "Entry way", "Hall way" etc.)
Then check the box Enable Audio (after accepting the legal notice).

Note: If you have more than one camera, you have to Enable Audio for each one.

GOOD QUALITY PRICE RATIO*
Overall I will rate the Logitech 750e a quality system for the money. As an alternative, you can purchase professional systems that will cost thousands of $ but it is unlikely that they have the remote access this system has.

* UPDATE Aug-21-2014: The price quality ratio was good when the camera system was first introduced. Since then the price has doubled and new products with higher resolution and remote access have entered the market.
However the new systems may require a good Wi-Fi signal strength to function properly or require that you pull wires from the router to the cameras (or install a Wi-Fi booster).
However if you have low Wi-Fi signal strength where the camera(s) are going to be installed you may be better off with this Logitech Alert camera solution because the data is transmitted through existing electrical house wiring and you only need to plug the camera(s) into an electric outlet for it to work. - END UPDATE.

Mounting Hardware
Perhaps Logitech have "beefed up" the mounting hardware for the camera. My hardware is rigid and of good quality. Another reviewer had problems with the hardware.
(I tightened and pre-adjusted the holder/adapter and added a drop of Locktite (blue) to the threads prior to installation. It is easier done on the ground as compared to the top of a 15 foot ladder).
UPDATE: The mounting plate is covered with a rubber cover. You have to tighten the holder rod FIRMLY to the base to ensure a rigid mount (or else the camera will wiggle).
Also, one of the cameras would turn freely no matter how hard the thumbscrew was tightened. It turned out that there is a phillips screw hiden inside the short rod which is being clamped by the thumbscrew assembly. The phillips screw was loose. Simply remove the thumbscrew completely to take the assembly apart. Then tighten the phillips screw and put it back together.
Logitech, QA/QC you need to address this issue. This is probably why so many people are complaining about the camera mount.

ALARM SYSTEM - Section added October 7, 2011
Before installing the system I had tried a couple of alarm systems with wireless sensors on the windows and doors. It was a lot of work to set up and configure but I could have lived with that if it wasn't for the false alarms. THEY DROVE ME AND THE NEIGHBORS CRAZY.
Now I use the Logitech camera-setup as a silent alarm system. The email/text message alert tells me if a camera detects motion and I can immediately check what is going on over the internet via my Android phone (I finally got one) or from the PC in the hotel lobby.
This way you can actually watch what is going on in and around the house before calling the police.
Suggestion: Add the number for the dispatcher at your local police station to your phone book. (Calling 911 from Florida will probably take too long if your house is in Maine).

Here is what I have learned.
A camera MAY report motion (and send an email/text message*) if the shadows from clouds etc suddenly moves across the area the camera is set to monitor. I say MAY because it very seldom happens.
The solution is to exclude these window or potential "moving shadow" areas from the cameras trigger area(s).

A camera WILL report motion if a large insect or flying leaf moves over the trigger area. Even a small chipmunk on the ground will trigger the camera. Consequently I do not use an outside camera to send me text messages if motion is detected.
When an outdoor camera is operating in night vision mode insects are attracted to it like a regular light bulb. Fortunately it is only a special type of insect that triggers my camera. It looks like a white flying spiral worm that is one to two inches long and 0.5" in diameter (I have not observed any other type of insects trigger a camera).

* Providing you have armed the system.

HOW TO CONNECT WITHOUT CABLE, DSL or ADSL INTERNET SERVICE - Section added February 21, 2012
We have a cabin without wired internet service and without 3G broadband signal. The good news is that my year-round neighbor has internet service and a WiFi router. The signal from the router is very weak. However I managed to get EXCELLENT signal strength using the Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW 1W 802.11b/g USB Wireless WiFi network Adapter with 5dBi Antenna and Suction cup Window Mount dock - for Wardriving & Range Extension antenna connected to the USB port on my computer.
Next step was to get the signal into a router. Again, Alfa to the rescue; they make a small but very sophisticated router that connects to their antenna (or a 3G USB adapter). Alfa R36 802.11 b, g N, Repeater and Range Extender for AWUS036H can also be used as a 3G Router - Enables you to Extend to Signal that is picked up by the AWUS036H and distribute the internet to multiple Users (Desktops, Laptops, tablets, iPods or iPad...

It was very simple to set up: WiFi signal from neighbor -> to Alfa Antenna -> to USB port on the R36 router -> to the black Logitech network adapter via Ethernet cable -> to PC running the Logitech software (this last step is optional).
NOTE ALL COMPONENTS MUST BE POWERED DOWN AND UP AGAIN FOR THE CAMERA TO BE FOUND AND BECOME LIVE VIA THE Alert.Logitech.com website.

That was easy...
... and my neighbor did not have a problem sharing his WiFi signal in the spirit of neighborhood watch and safety.

BONUS
Now we have our own private LAN with full WiFi and internet access for all our WiFi gadgets throughout the cabin.
Ever wondered how to set up a PRIVATE LAN using your neighbors WiFi signal - NOW YOU KNOW!

SUMMARY
- Very easy setup
- Great picture quality in daylight but not in total darkness
- Motion detection is very reliable
- Flexible email alert settings
- Workaround if you don't have a phone with email or web access
- Recording with PC turned off - great feature
- Workaround to avoid paying $80 per year for remote access
- Attic installation of the camera's power adapter
- How to connect "Battery UPS backup"
- How to turn the sound feature on
- Using the cameras as a Security System
- Connect the system to the internet via WiFi or 3G

I hope this review helps you. The system is very easy to get up and running. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Disclaimer, I am retired and do not work for or have stock in any company. I write reviews because I use them extensively myself before I make a purchasing decision.

UPDATE 03-Nov-2014
I recently installed a TRENDnet Powerline 500 AV Nano Adapter Kit, TPL-406E2K in the house. This interfered with the cameras causing loss of signal from one or more cameras. The problem went away when the Trendnet Powerline kit was removed.
5150+ comments| 1,106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 23, 2011
I've been waiting for an inexpensive HD security system to come out. This system is pretty good and, for the most part, does what I want it to do.

SETUP: Setup isn't too bad. Just remember to read the directions but there are a few gotchas such as, you can't plug the camera side or the network side plugs into a power strip because of the circuitry screws up the data making it out of the power strip. This leads to the first problem I have. You have to use a dedicated outlet for each plug. In my older house, plugs are few and far between.

SOFTWARE: The software installation was quick and painless. Immediately the software updated the firmware for my camera which was nice. The software controls are OK. It's missing some key features in my opinion. There is no "record" button. So it only records if it detects motion. I want the ability to be able to record on demand.

MOTION: You can select up to 6 zones that trigger recordings and alerts when there is movement. The downside is, the zones are only square. I wish you could make angles as well. The motion is too sensitive imho. I have it all the way down and it finally seems to be only pick up large movement.

CAMERA: The camera is of very high quality. It is all metal and it feels solid and like it will last a long time. I was surprised on how well built it is. It also has a microphone that works really well. It picks up everything. The last thing is the night vision. It works pretty good. The image quality is pretty good. I give it an 8 out of 10 when looking at the picture in the software. To my surprise, the image when viewing the videos manually are better!

REMOTE VIEWING: Viewing the image on my iphone is pretty cool. There is about a 5-10 second delay, which is to be expected. Viewing the image at [...]is decent, though you already know from the other reviews that there is no sound with remote viewing.

ALERTS: The email alerts are cool but I wish they would send you a screen shot as to why there was an alert. So imagine you get an alert, you log onto [...] or view the picture on your phone and now whatever it is that triggered the alert is gone, so you have no ideas what happened. On top of that, the free viewing doesn't have any way to rewind to see what's going on, so you'll have to wait until you get home. One workaround is, if you have remote software for your PC, you can remotely connect to your PC and view the software that way, but most users will have no idea how to do this.
The other alert is right on your desktop, which seems cool at first, a sound is made and then a small picture pops up. the problem is, you can't click the picture to make it bigger, it just disappears after a few seconds.

OTHER: The cord that comes with the camera is not long enough. I think it's 25ft. Which is decent, but they should give you 100ft for the money that you pay. You can buy more cord but I feel you shouldn't have to with the first camera.

All in all, I like this setup though it could use some improvements here and there. I plan to keep mine and add more cameras hoping they improve the software.

UPDATE: After doing some research over the weekend, I realize how bad the Logitech software really is. Instead I decided to go with software called, "Blue Iris" which is worlds better than the Logitech software in every way. So much so, I paid $50 for it. After that, I realized that the appeal of the Logitech camera system starts to fade since I could literally buy any camera and use it with Blue Iris. Currently I am running Blue Iris with one Logitech 700e and my Logitech C910 HD webcam and it works flawlessly. Admittedly it's not going to be as easy for normal folk, but for a techie like me, it's more than worth the effort. Bottom line, if you decide to get the Logitech camera, don't waste your money on the "System" package and just get the camera and purchase Blue Iris instead. Or, do what I plan to do, research similar cameras and see what my options are.

BTW - If you want to just connect to your camera, download VLC player and then use the "Advanced File Open" menu and type "[...]" or "[...] Cheers!

11/5/2011 Update: OK, I've had the cameras for almost a year now. I've been really happy with them. For the price, you can't beat it. I raised the stars back to 3. I still ding it for a few things. I really wish it was 30fps, but I guess it would be a lot of bandwidth over the internet, so they probably made a decision to chop it 15fps to conserve bandwidth and to save a little money on the camera side. I still use Blue Iris for 99% of my recording(I record 24/7 for 7 days). I actually use the email alerts with Logitech over Blue Iris since Blue Iris has a bug where it spits garbage onto the screen and falsely sets off the motion. I mentioned in my earlier review that there are no pictures with the email alerts. I was wrong, there is! I have caught somebody casing my house(they ended up robbing my next door neighbors house), I caught an accident, and a couple of drug deals. I see which critters walk around my house at night(raccoons, cats, and skunks), and catch everything from spiders to birds to every solicitor that comes to my door. I love knowing when people are coming and going. I see when packages are delivered and all with great clarity. If Logitech could add 24/7 recording, diagonal blocks on the motion page and lower the price of the yearly subscription, I would give them a 5. Anyhoo, just thought I'd post again since I felt my 2 stars were a bit low.
4646 comments| 308 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 11, 2015
Just a note to all of you who may be considering paying the usury prices listed for the Logitech security cameras currently not in supply at Logitech. The following was posted by a Logitech Moderator:
“Effective immediately, Logitech Alert master systems are no longer available for purchase on Logitech.com. Please rest assured that Logitech very much appreciates its Alert community. As such, we continue our commitment to Logitech Alert customers, and expect to continue to support and offer both the Logitech Alert Web and Mobile Commander basic (no additional charge) and premium (fee-based) subscription services for the foreseeable future. We also expect to have add-on cameras available to purchase later this year for current customers with a master system.
We expect current open orders will be fulfilled within the coming two weeks. If you have any questions or concerns about your order, please contact Logitech customer care. Details on how to reach them can be found here.”
So, with a little patience, you may be able to purchase additional cameras at the more reasonable prices that were originally charged by Logitech.

Since I wrote this review, I have found that Logitech is NOT going to offer any more of their cameras. I was misled by a Logicech technician who occasionally commented on the Logitech blog site. Well, it has been an education, if nothing else. I will never again buy a system where I am locked into proprietary components. Currently, I am experimenting with Dahua cameras that will interface with an NVR.
on October 1, 2012
Update3: I see some user comments about why bother with using powerline when you can simply use Power-over-ethernet (PoE) with 750n.

Since I use virtually all types of camera security systems including mobile camere security, I learn to appreciate the +/-s of each type of cameras using each of the different transport mediums. You are essentially making trade offs between the real-world physical properties of each of the solutions including SW, HW and firmware product tradeoffs.

Some user(s) comment on why bother using powerline when you can use PoE. I agree, if you have a choice to choose PoE which is essentially connecting ethernet cables from Camera to Ethernet Switch. However, depending on the physical characteristics of your deployment environment, PoE may not be practical depending on if you are in a IT lab, Corp Office, Residential Office, or Home.

In a Corp office, IT lab, or within a single room or short distances, running cables is relatively easy compare to a residential office or a multi-story residential structure where you may have solid walls, ceilings..etc. There are no easy way to run ethernet cables except to drill holes, or lay them on the floor or stapled them along walls and ceilings which is astheically unappealing to most users.

When it is physically difficult to pull cables, you will need to use either Wireless (air as the transport medium) or Powerline (existing structure's electrical wiring). Each solution has their +/-s. I use all combinations to secure all types of structures from single story to multi-story, Corp office IT labs, or residences. Typically, as the distance becomes further and there is no easy to pull cables due to cost or physical barriers. Wirless or Powerline are the next logical solutions.

Specific to the 750n Solution, the biggest attraction for me is Alert Commander Desktop App, Alert Commander Web Site, and Mobile App. I believe Logitech has the most polish solution, but not necessarily the most reliable because it is a more complex implementation than fix-wire and wireless solutions.

The 750n/700n implementation requires not only a desktop application, this application must commuicate with the Powerline Adapter (HomePlug) Firmware programmed into it, and also the camera firmware. Wired and wireless camersa do not have to deal with the HomePlug firmware, one less component to deal with.
That's why wired and wireless cameras I find do not have the camera discovery issues that the Logitech 750n Solution presents. It would be a none issue if they can do enough compatibility testing between the Alert Commander SW, HomePlug Firmware/HW(EMI filtering) and the Camera Firmware. All these issues on top of getting video streams to their website and mobile app. Overall, I'm very pleased with Logitech solution, but I still have significant reservations as decribed below.

The issue that I am facing now is if I want to add more cameras, the Alert Commander sees the Homeplugs, but cannot discover the camera because, the camers is not requesting a DHCP IP address. This I can see clearly comparing the recently purchased 750n and 700n cameras vs. my existing 750ns. This means the 750 solution is not easily scalable (not always easy to add new components) if the versions of SW, Firmware and HW are too far apart, or just have incompatibility issues depending on when they spin their latest SW updates into their production cycles. Of course, I'm sure other solutions may have similar incompatibility issues, but the Homeplug adds one more component to the critical path which could make it a more fragile solution to some users, specifically in discovering or recovering lost cameras or connections. I don't blame them for getting piss off as I did, but I worked with their engineering/QA to get my network reliability issues resolved. However, the incompatibility issue that I am now facing is a much more tougher problem to solve due to the number of combinations..ie permutations possible between the different component versions.

Update2: Why I like the Alert Commander the best, and giving it back a 4 star

Since my original comments, I am giving credit to Logitech for having a 5 Star responsive customer support. Their Sr. QA Mgr has contacted me and is working with me to help resolve my network reliability issues which I will give now a 3 star instead of 1 star as I now have a better understanding of how to recover my cameras. In order to help other potential users of 750n and other security camera products I like to explain my experiences with different types of security camera systems and their features that are important for my needs (each user has their own needs), but hopefully my needs will cover most of others needs.

I am currently deploying 3 types of security camera systems to monitor different office locations, each type uses different transport medium, and have their +/-s:

Wired - I am using GE PTZ cameras and their Netview SW. Wired systems are much more reliable connectivity wise since they are fixed wires/ethernet cables..etc. The obvious drawback is they are fixed and hard wired. They are more costly to installed especially if you have multiple floors and/or in a residence. You basically have to drill holes..pull wires..etc unless it is commercial then you can pull cables above the ceiling panels.

Wireless - I am using FOSCAM PTZ wirelss cameras and their IP Camera SW, but I also purchased Blue IRIS SW to control manage my wireless cameras.
The advanage with wireless is you don't have the hard wired issues and can place them in locations that maybe more difficult and costly to install.
Of course with wireless, you are subject to atmospheric conditions.

Powerline - I am using Logitech 750 indoor and now outdoor cameras with Alert Commander. In my opinion, Powerline is a transport medium between Fixed Wire and Wireless. You are basically using existing electrical wiring systems which is great. No ethernet cables to pull, and in theory more reliable than wireless since it is fix wired, but via electrical outlets.

The drawback is if you have electrical devices in those circuits that can generate EMI events...motors, fans, generators..etc. If you have a relatively clean EMI event location Logitech 750n will likely work flawlessly for you, but if you have multiple floors and not so cleam circuits, then you may likely run into the issues that myself and a number of other users have encountered (though they may not fully understand why they have those issues).

With this said, I have some recommendations that can help users recover their cameras, but not always guarantee depending on your circuit situation.

Recommendation: If you have control of your own IP Gateway that contains the DHCP server. When you loose connectivity, reset or flush your DHCP server which will then flush the DHCP cache that contains device IP addresses, and their physical MAC address. Do this in addition to resetting 750N camera(poke the needle hole with a paper clip or needle to reset camera), unplug and plug all adpaters. This will ensure all previous IP address leases to be renewed. I've seen this work like charm 9 out of 10 times. The other 10% of the time, there is still an issue with Logitech recovery algorithm likely in the form of "State Machines" built into the adapters, and the SW recovery process with the Alert Commander SW not synching the Camera IP and MAC address properly. I am working with Logitech to get this figure out so I can relaibly use 750n and Alert Commander myself.

The flushing of the DHCP cache or resetting the DHCP server is unique to the router/gateway that each user uses. If you are using DHCP directly from ISP, then you won't need to deal with this step as the ISP will likely issue a new IP anyway when the camera looks for a IP address.

So, why do I want to use the 750n with Alert Commander. It is for the following important reasons compare to other IP camera systems:

1. Ability to create multiple detection zones and fit them to any size - I can create different detection zones move them around and size them as I see fit, and trigger alerts off of those zones. This the most powerful feature of any security system besides simply recording everything it sees in my opinion. This is very useful to me since I don't want to see 100s of email alerts for every movement around my office locations. I only want to see alerts whem sensitive locations of the offices are touched or entered into. I'm sure each user can think of many reasons why they only want to be alerted when a specific location is breached within the camera view and alert you for everything. You don't always want to be alerted everytime anything moves on the screen.

The other software that I am using is Blue IRIS, Netview, IP Camera..etc all have motion detection and alerts, but they detect every movement, or example in the case of Blue IRIS, it's a screen centered square box that you can resize, but not relocate, or create mutiple box zones. I don't use email alerts with the other systems anymore, though they are always recording. I am using Alert Commander for email alerts with snap-shots instead.

2. Richer UI Experience - I like the more intuitive look & feel of Alert Commander. Having worked on User Interface deigns and testing. I appreciate a high quality UI which I believe Alert Commander has over the other SW that I am using. It's just more efficient to use.

3. Visually see and dynamically resize alert amd motion storage - This is another critical feature. I can easily see and resize the storage that I need. All the other SW require that I hard-code/manually entered the storage values. I cam always do this, but I really like the storage resizing feature of Alert Commander which is done on the fly.

With all above said, I am giving 750n back a 4 star. I would give it a 5 if it is more network reliable which I believe Logitech need to seriously tackle if they want to beat the competition and dominate this market.

=======================================================================================================================================================
Update1: Why I am giving 750n a 1 star

I have the cameras working for a week now at the only site that I have these cameras working. Last night I could not connect to the Alert Website. This morning I was able to, but my 2 remaining cameras could not be found. The site tells me I should remove my cameras. I know it's not a good idea, but I did it any way. I now can no longer can see any of my cameras on the website which now defeats the primary reason for my purchase of these cameras using the Alert Website. I am dropping from 2 stars down to 1 star. This is unacceptable for Logitech to have such a fragile network product. I can only say that I am disappointed with Logitech. I have used many of their products over the years. This is my worst experience with their products and overall the worst with any network products that I have experienced so far. Good luck to other users with this product.
I am writing this review out of shear fustration and extreme disappointment with Logitech having purchased 6 x 750n cameras to enhance existing video monitoring of 3 different sites which already have fixed wired IP Network video monitoring. I am also not an average user. I have many years of designing, building and testing data center IP networks with all types of devices. I would have simply prefer to have the cameras working rather then to write this very negative review.

There are 2 key issues that I have with the 750n (but I have to assume same for the other models as well) they are 1) Electro-magnetic interference (EMI) which causes the lost of connectivity between Alert Commander Software and the Cameras 2) Recovery of the IP connectivty between Alert Commander and the cameras once the EMI event goes away. I will keep my explanations simple, but before I share my fustrations, I will first highlight the positives.

I managed to install 750ns into 2 of the 3 sites. The installations went very smoothly, and everything worked nicely as advertised. I was very happy.

Now the negatives, I was very happy until all of sudden in one the locations, Alert Commander could no longer detect the cameras. The first time this happen I went plugging/unplugging adapters, resetting the cameras (poking the pin-hole behind the camera). I did this several times and still no cameras detected even though I had the deep purple light which indicated the camera saw the Alert Commander and the internet. After wasting couple of hours on my weekend going up/down several flights of stairs I decided to give Logitech Tech Support a try. I spent another 3 hrs on the phone until my phone battery went almost dead, and I decided not to continue the call (tech support was nice and patient though). It went from bad to worse. Now I had no more deep purple lights, just plain green lights indicating only power. The problem was way beyond tech support. They could only tell you the same thing that you could do yourself, unplug/plug, reset, reinstall Alert Commander..etc. I asked the TS guy if he knew where the IP addresses of the cameras were stored at by the Alert Commander, I was doubtful he knew, but I asked anyway, and he didn't have a clue. The key is having the ability to edit the Camera IP addresses and the associated physical device address (MAC address). If I could edit this info, I could ensure Alert Commander connect with the Cameras, but the Network SW design was meant to be dummy proof which makes it very dumb when something goes wrong. The inability to assign/edit static IPs is a significant weakness here due to the software design.

Since I still have 2 cameras available and not yet installed at the 3rd site, I decided to install a new camera. The installation went smoothly. However, even after I remove the old Alert Commander software install, I had to locate the Windows Registry Keys and remove them with the Registry Editor so the new Alert Commander install does not go automatically into the Alert Commander screen bypassing the initial install steps.

I was happy again, until the same thing happened. This time I was able to observe what caused the lost connectivity. I turned on a ceiling fan. When I turned it off, the deep purple lights came back on. So, I thought I should get my cameras back when I turned off my ceiling fan. Unfortunately not, I had purple lights, but cameras could not be found. Same thing all over again.

Except this time, I happened to be monitoring and testing traffic on my network with 3 network troubleshooting tools. I was using 1) Wireshark which analyzes network traffic 2) IP Address/TCP Port scanner to detect what devices were on the network 3) DHCP monitor on my router to see which IP addresses were assigned to devices coming onto the network requesting an IP address.

I will keep it simple as I can and get to the point.

The fact that turning on the ceiling fan caused lost connectivity, it tells me there is very poor EMI filtering by the Power Adapters.

Worse than that, the inability for the Alert Commander and the cameras to recover. I was able to observe the actual network communications between the cameras, router/gateway (which hosts the DHCP server that assigns the dynamic IP addresses) and the Alert Commander on my computer.

The crux of the bad network software design is the following:

Alert commander during the initial install detects IP and MAC address of the cameras. I have to assume it hides it somewhere in it's system files so users can't get to them (we should be able to though). Because, we don't know the IP addresses, we are blinded when it comes to troubleshooting. Because I have my network troubleshooting tools, I knew the initial IP addresses of the cameras assigned by DHCP. After the EMI event was over, I can see the cameras requesting new IP addresses from the DHCP server, but the Alert Commander is broadcasting the old IP addresses on the network asking the cameras to respond to it's request to establish connectivity. The cameras never responded to Alert Commander's broadcast requests, and just keeps asking for new IP addresses from the DHCP server (also want to add the DHCP requests coming from the cameras were labeled by the DHCP server as not understandable). This explains why the Alert Commander was never able to detect the cameras. There is no way to edit the camera IP address in the camera itself or the Alert Commander so they can match up the expected IP addresses that was previously assigned by DHCP. I am now totally screwed.

The Logitech Tech Support was nice, but totally lacked the skills and tools to troubleshoot at this level. This requires the Logitech network engineers to figure it out if they had done proper negative network testing by injecting errors such as EMI interference tests.

I am keeping the 2 cameras that are working in the one site, but have returned 3 of the cameras, and keeping one spare. My concern is if for some reason I experienced a power outage or some sort of EMI interference, I may repeat the same BS again in the one site that has the working 750ns. I am now purchasing FOSCAM wireless/wired cameras instead to avoid this EMI and lost connectivity issue. I have no association with FOSCAM, but they are wireless cameras, and not using the power outlets for communications so not subject to EMI interference.

I assume for users who do not have EMI issues in their homes or networks, the 750n will work fine, but once you loose connectivity due to some sort of EMI event. You may loose the cameras, and unable to detect them again if they go into this bad software loop state.

I wish these cameras would just work. I do like the Alert Commander software features, and the centralized website to view the cameras when you can connect to their site. I like Logitech, but very disappointed with this poor network software design. Hopefully, they will improve and fix these issues with their next camera versions.
44 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2013
UPDATE 2: I wish I had known this before I spent $800.... quote from january 23, 2013 press release from Logitech CEO:
"...we have initiated the process to divest our remote controls and digital video security categories, ..... by the end of Calendar Year 2013."
See third-quarter press release on the Logitech site. Bummer.

ORIGINAL rating and Update #1:
I'm trying to add only new info here; these are great cameras, sensitivity is excellent, software is generally good and the quality level is high. I'm pretty happy.
Why 4 stars? The wall wart is huge (2"+ from wall) and ugly. Good luck getting your wife to allow this thing except behind furniture. The outside set-up is even uglier as there's a cord from the wall wart to the 110v plug... it's clumsy, big and highly visible. As others have noted, the micro-sd card is hard to access, but I'm not certain why you'd want to access it regularly (see below). And it's much easier to access on the indoor versions than it is on this one.

There are trade-offs designing a security camera and Logitech has chosen to use the Powerline standard.... this is a good decision as it avoids a lot of cable stringing, but it's not perfect. You need to understand the downsides. First, Powerline may not communicate reliably (see below for fuller discussion of why and what you can do about it). Secondly - as to the outdoor camera - this thing works great. BUT you need an outlet within about 15 feet and if you don't have one you're going to need to run an extension cord (ugh) or some special flat ethernet line (the weatherproofing of the camera requires this kind of cable). IF you do all this, are you then going to have an outdoor security camera plugged into an outdoor outlet? If so, what keeps someone from walking off with the whole thing? Of course if you run the line in to an indoor outlet, all well and good, but then the convenience of plug-and-play is defeated.
Also, the night vision version of the indoor camera (700n) and this outdoor camera don't work well when set up inside to "look out a window".... the infra red is totally defeated by the window glass. They work fine "looking through the window" for daylight or lighted areas, but not in the dark.

MAC USERS: Everything you read will tell you that this system requires a PC for initial set-up. This is no longer true: as of November, 2012 Logitech has the Alert Commander software for OSX (10.6 or higher) available for download. Installation was very simple and the two cameras were recognized immediately. There is a very cool feature which allows you to customize the sensitivity areas of each camera, using up to 16 adjustable rectangles to define which motion will trigger the camera and which motion will be ignored. Very helpful for avoiding triggering by a bush that is in the corner and gets blown around. I'm still learning all the ins and outs but I'm very happy with the picture quality.
There are also free apps for the iPad and the iPhone, for live streaming. Apparently you have to buy the extra cost subscription if you want to download the recordings to your iDevice. The software has a couple of bugs but they are minor (I have been unable to turn the camera LEDs off or the camera audio on).
And yes, my system is all Apple (Airport eExtreme, etc) and of course Safari works fine when you want to use a browser to view your cameras.

FOR EVERYONE: this system is based on the Powerline technology which passes a signal over your home's electrical wiring. This has many advantages in terms of quick set-up as you don't have to run a lot of wires around. I have had Powerline installed in my house for several years as part of my security system and as a very reliable way to distribute ethernet throughout the house without stringing cable. But there is a key limitation to Powerline which may explain some of the lower ratings you see here.... This is the case with all Powerline set-ups. In some cases they communicate just fine, but in others they don't.
Here's why: most homes have a 2-branch electrical system.... one 220 volt line comes into the house. The 220 volt input is split into two 110 volt circuits called "buses". Each bus has multiple circuits and circuit breakers. Powerline system will usually work fine on different circuits as long as they're on the SAME bus. When the signal has to travel from one bus to the other things get iffy. The way around this is to install a device in your circuit breaker panel called a signal bridge. This device simply passes the signal from one bus to the other, but it takes up two circuit breaker positions. INSTALLATION IS NOT FOR AMATEURS.
If you share a panel (in an apartment, for example) this may not be possible. Note that if you share a panel you potentially share the Powerline signal so think about your security. Other difficulties may arise if you have electrical sub-panels. And if your condo building has a 440 volt incoming line.... well, I dunno.
You can avoid a bridge by keeping your cameras and the receiver (only one of the latter is needed, for up to 6 cameras) on the same bus. I've also read that it's desirable to avoid the bus that has your refrigerator on it (or any other appliance with a large motor), as these things can generate signal interference, but I haven't had that issue.
And plain extension cords are fine, but AVOID surge suppressors... they block the signal.

OTHER THOUGHTS: Be aware that there are two versions of the indoor camera.. the 700i doesn't have night vision, the 700n does. If you can find the 700i it's cheaper and works as well "looking out a window" as the 700n. Of course if you want to watch inside the house in the dark (baby's room perhaps) you 'll want the 700n.
The motion detectors on these things are adjustable for sensitivity and on the highest level they are very sensitive.... think a crow walking around on the grass 50 yards away.
The cameras come with a 2GB micro-SD installed... You can replace this with up to a 32 gb card. How long this is good for is dependent upon how much you record, so the sensitivity setting is important as is the activity level in front of the camera. ["Activity level" includes moving branches, etc.] Also when you turn on the controlling PC/Mac, the card gets downloaded and the camera writes over it when it's full or downloaded, so you probably won't need to ever change the card if you set it up correctly.
There's a user community on the Logitech site and there is discussion of downloading your video to your Dropbox or other cloud storage. Seems to me that if you can do that then you can go back in history even if you're accessing it with a browser from a remote computer.... so then why would you need the subscriptions service??? Just asking....
I'll post more as I learn more.

Update 1: I have contacted Logitech support about the issues I had using the Mac software to adjust the camera settings. They were VERY helpful, but the only way we could resolve the issues was to use a PC to adjust the cameras, then migrate the cameras to the Mac network. The latter happens pretty much automatically once you re-launch the Mac version of Alert Commander.
Logitech has escalated the issue and we have exchanged several emails. I'm impressed with how they are keeping me in the loop.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 26, 2014
This purchase (May 2014) makes the 11th camera I have bought (all from Amazon). Able to monitor my home and hangar remotely from my iPad or iPhone plus get email alerts is an AWESOME capability that provides tremendous peace of mind. No one can be in two places at once, but this feature is letting me monitor my property on my desktop as I sit here now writing this review or to check LIVE feed during fuel stops while traveling.

However, beyond the simple firmware updates for the camera's themselves (happens automatically when you plug in and they self-discover), buying a new "PN: 861-000027 Model name: Logitech Alert LA700e" or power pig-tail WiFi transmitter for the VERY sturdy and well made camera is IMPOSSIBLE.

Try finding spare parts on the website. Thus, I had to buy a whole new system to "repair" one of my 5 cameras. Based upon plugging the #5 camera into another transmitter, the camera is fine. I believe the WiFi transmitter got whacked by EMI during a very intense thunder storm.

Try calling tech support.

GOOD LUCK. Speaking English alone is insufficient. The person on the other end has to understand the concept of "spare parts" or "I need a new WiFi transmitter, how do I order one?"

For a product to be so superior, and until now, very sturdy and reliable, is just not right. I would have privately told Logitech this but other than blogging on a seemingly useless side-site, there is no efficient way to contact them. Hopefully, a product manager for the 700e system will see this blog and verify through Amazon that I am indeed a real customer.

Think about it; 11 of these camera's is an almost $4000 investment. Add to that the service fees for the live connect and it is well over $4000. Logitech ought to be grateful to Amazon for helping them market and distribute these cameras. So to be clear: I greatly appreciate Amazon's service (4.0 on the GPA system, 10 on the Bo Derek scale), I love the 700e product/system itself but Logitech needs to make the 700e system's "service life" and "sustainability" much more reliable. As OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), Logitech has this responsibility, not Amazon.

To me this shortfall is like being forced to buy a new car that only has a flat tire.

Logitech could also offer "shielded cables" to help prevent EMI and damage by power surges or outages.

One tip in case your camera does not "self-discover." Flip the electrical connection's plug. For the system to sense each camera, they must all be on the "same electrical leg" as a EE explained it to me at work. Thus, your front porch may be wired differently than your detached garage meaning that the right side of the outlets are on different legs.

Solving this problem also provides the opportunity for you to custom wire some of the camera's and to provide and "uninterruptible" power source (aka UPS pronounced as a plural direction not the package service) to a key camera AND to provide a decoy set of wires for a would be intruder who thinks he can simply "cut the wires."

And for fellow security zealots, back up your live video cams with motion sensor infrared "critter cams."

The bottom line is that despite the sorry state of OEM's "provisioning" and customer support, this system is still worth the investment. Buy stock in AMZN and not LOGI, especially if you believe that growth trumps dividends and maybe one of these days even AMZN will be profitable. LOGI has had zero growth over 5 years while AMZN has grown 300% (according to Yahoo Finance charts compare window checked just now).
on June 18, 2013
I've actually had this camera since 2011, so I have quite a bit of experience with it. The camera itself is very high quality. I have had it outdoors for almost two years now, and it has taken the weather like a champ. It has never failed me. That said, I have mixed emotions about this product. My main complaints are regarding Logitech's software and service. Several of its remote features require an $80/year "premium" service fee, which I think is ridiculous. They should be standard. They charge because they proxy all viewing traffic through their servers. This makes the camera extremely easy to set up, but it also constantly causes delays when viewing due to server/bandwidth congestion. When viewing from a mobile device, you will be staring at a "loading video" message more often than actually viewing the camera footage. All of this is fixed by dropping Logitech's software and using Blue Iris instead. I recently switched, and I am very pleased.

What I like:
* Small body attracts little attention. People have rarely even noticed that it existed.
* Weather proof body
* Image is bright and clear, but not "HD." It is difficult to read a license plate on a parked car. It is not possible at all if the car is moving.
* Very easy to set up due to power line communication provided by the Master System
* Logitech's servers facilitate locating and connecting to the cameras from mobile devices. This is much more user friendly than having to identify your external IP address and open proper firewall ports.
* Night vision works well.

What I don't like:
* Lack of physical Pan/Tilt/Zoom. The digital PTZ degrades the image quality.
* When viewing your camera remotely, Logitech restricts you to 3 minutes (10 minutes if you pay for "premium") at a time before it disconnects you.
* Logitech's servers and/or bandwidth seem to be overly burdened. It takes a long time to connect to the feed and then is has to keep "loading video" over and over.
* While the lens is wide screen, the video resolution is not. So it creates some distortion of the image.
* It only produces 15 fps max.
* Last January, Logitech announced they will be selling their digital video security divisions (http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/23/logitech-q3-earnings-selling-harmony-remotes/), so I'm not sure what that means for the product's future.

If you have a PoE (power over ethernet) switch, or PoE injector, within range of the 50ft cable that comes with the camera, you can save yourself some money and buy the camera by itself without the Master System.

Like I said before, almost all of the issues that I have with this camera are resolved with the Blue Iris software Foscam Blue Iris Professional - Supports Many IP Camera Brands Including Foscam and Agasio, Zone Motion Detection, H.264 Compression Recording, E-mail And SMS Text Messaging Alerts! for a one time cost. It is more difficult to set up, and it isn't as aesthetically pleasing, but it is much more versatile and functional.
on January 23, 2014
I have used Alert for more than two years now and have been generally pleased. Easy system to set up. Lately, however, cameras are out of stock and Amazon vendors are raising prices like crazy. Logitech is in process of selling this division, and there is no telling if this product line will continue. No believable information is forthcoming from Logitech. As good as these cameras are, I would hold off buying more until you have more information about the long term future of this product line.
on January 7, 2014
This is a great camera and system. The software that comes with it is lacking but will do what the average consumer requires. I have a server in may basement and wanted to be able to use it to control the cameras and store the video. There is no API for programmers to support the cameras and add features, which I think is the biggest downside. These could really have more of a following if they offered an API. I have had a few cases where the camera stopped working. Once it was from the cable going bad, another was due to an ice storm. I warmed up the camera and it starting working again, I really think it was just the unplugging and replugging that did it. I did have a camera completely die on me and Logitech replaced it for me. It has worked well since.

There are days the camera stays in night vision because it thinks it is night time. Might be the cloud cover or shadows that make to too dark.

I have missed recording some important situations because I have setup motion zones that were not where the motion occurred. This was because I didn't want an alert for every car that drives by my house, but that meant the one car that does crash into the yard won't be caught either.

So it is a balance of finding the settings that work best. Rain and snow cause me to wake up to hundreds of email alerts.

Installing and running the cameras is easy, streaming on the Logitech site, on mobile, or at home is easy. Everything is easy, except for getting the settings exactly how you want them. The balance between security and too many alerts.

I think that the command software forgets what files are videos and goes past the limits you set to the max amount of video that can be saved, but I can not confirm it. It happens sometimes and I don't know the cause. I have a 1 Terabyte drive so it doesn't matter too much for me, but it seems strange.

I put 8gb sd cards in each camera to be safe.
on December 7, 2013
I bought this camera, along with a second Add-On Logitech Alert for our house. The camera has worked fairly well during the six months I have had it. What I like most about the camera was its extremely easy installation. I plugged the wire into my ethernet and plugged the cord into the wall and installed it on the side of the house with the provided hardware.

The camera works very well with my Macs and my iPad and iPhone after downloading the free app from the iTunes store.

I use it predominantly on an old 2007 Mac Pro running 10.6.8. There are differences between the capability of the Alert Commander software for 10.6.8 and 10.7 and up. Most problematic is that you can't direct the movie files the Alert takes to a specific folder or drive under 10.6.8. It sends all those to your main drive in your "Users/Movies" folder. That is quite frustrating, as I would prefer to be able to dedicate an entire hard drive (secondary) to the movies and pictures. However, under later iterations of OS X you do have this capability.

I like the fact that the camera does not appear to slow down my internet connection because it works over the electrical lines in the house rather than wifi alone. The pictures and movies it records are of medium quality... better than some security camera's I've seen. You can pan the area that you want to watch with the camera and set it to send alerts to you if there is movement.

I installed a 32 gb sd card into the camera as the standard 2 gb clearly would not be sufficient for long hours of recording. I leave the system on all the time and it sends me an email with a picture when there is movement. It seems to be very responsive to movement and will turn itself on to record the activity when there such. You can set the camera to the sensitivity that you want it to be triggered at for recording.

It also has night vision, but I experienced a problem where once the night vision came on, it would not reliably revert back to regular vision during the day. So i have that feature turned off as we have enough lighting in the area where it is to get a good view of triggering events to recordings at night.

The best feature is that if you have your computer turned off, the camera will still send you alerts. When you turn the computer on, the camera will then download the movies and pictures to the hard drive. I would like if the camera software automatically opened on its own without any input from the user. While you can set the Alert Commander software to open when the computer is started, you still have to click an "OK" button to actually open the viewing of the camera. This is problematic if you are, say on vacation and the computer restarts and there is no one there to push the button.

Also, I have experienced some problems where the software will say that the SD card is not recognized and it has to be reformatted. This has happened several times... too many for comfort. What would happen if there were actual important recordings and the camera induced a SD card failure? This concern along with some limitations with the software, and unreliable night vision make me give the camera three stars, along with the fact that the recordings could be a little clearer. While the camera does have sound, it doesn't record sounds very audibly.