Top positive review
41 people found this helpful
An accurate transducer
on February 28, 2012
I've been living with these speakers for the better part of a year now. In the interim, my PC of almost 10 years died on me. This has allowed me to gain several insights on this speaker set since I've had the hooked up to my old PC, my laptop & my new PC (with much better soundcard).
The most important thing a speaker can do is accurately portray what is being fed to it upstream. The Z520's do that in a wonderful fashion. They have exceptional clarity & present a more than credible soundstage within their size constraints. They have the best mid & upper range in their price class & it would be tough to get better in a higher price class without going significantly higher. Where they fall a bit short is in ultimate dynamics & in bass extension & articulation.
Anyone considering the Logitech Z520's should be aware of the following:
1. They require break-in. They need about 70 hours before you will hear what they are truly capable of. During that time, they will go from slightly bright & anemic to smooth with a nice soundstage & decent bass.
2. Please note that these are, unlike the majority of speakers in this class, acoustic suspension speakers. With that, they have all of that design's characteristics. This means that they maintain their composure at high volumes & don't clip easily. Their bass doesn't extend as low as a ported design but the rolloff is not as steep so it is there.
3. These are speakers that are primarily for music listeners. They absolutely shine on all types of acoustic music & have enough power to fill up an average size room. No, you will not be able to have a full blown party but you will be able to rock out when sitting at or in the vicinity of your computer.
4. These are a viable alternative for those who want to upgrade the sound of their tv speakers. They present dialogue with great clarity & pairing them with a decent subwoofer would make for a very good 2.1 system!
5. The gaming & electronic crowd might want to look elsewhere. Now I am not saying that these speaker won't do a credible job with those mediums. It's just that they probably aren't an optimum choice.
To sum it up, these are great speakers that accurately reproduce what is being fed to them within their size & power constraints. Hook them up in different systems & they will tell the quality of the electronics they're receiving a signal from & that is the highest praise I can give any speaker. That Logitech was able to accomplish this at this speraker's price point is amazing!