Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Logitech MK270 Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo, Logitech Wireless Mouse USB (Black)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Style Name: Mouse and Keyboard|Change

on March 28, 2014
I ordered it on 3/23 from Amazon and received a couple of days later. To my surprise, the box doesn't say "unifying receiver". Took the keyboard/mouse out - yes indeed the receiver only says "Nano Receiver", and it doesn't have the orange star unifying logo. I also installed Logitech Unifying software but this receiver is not recognized.

UPC/Product ID all match. Appears Logitech changed the product. Amazon needs to change the product description.

If you are looking for a unifying receiver to work with other logitech products, don't buy this.

Update - Amazon sent me a replacement, and this time it comes with Unifying receiver. UPC and product ID printed on the boxes are identical, packagings are slightly different. One has "Unifying receiver" clearly printed on the box and feature list and the other one doesn't.

Keyboards and mice are also different. One set both have orange star unifying on the label and the other set don't. Product IDs are different too.
review image
1313 comments| 675 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
**IMPORTANT TIP**: Although the MK270 combo does indeed work perfectly right out of the box without installing any drivers, as stated on the box (and it also works outside Windows - in boot screens, BIOS, Linux, non-OS boot utilities, etc.), it works much better with the Logitech SetPoint drivers and software you can download (for free) from the manufacturer's Web site. You gain battery life indication (there are no LEDs on the product, other than a very dim Caps Lock indicator, to save battery life), screen notices when you press Caps Lock and Num Lock (also low battery warnings, though I haven't seen that yet), some key and mouse button customization, and receiver dongle management. The product box doesn't come with a CD and there is no mention to SetPoint at all anywhere, so here is my tip for you.

Now, I once had a wired Logitech keyboard that lasted 10 years, as well as several mice (which lasted less, but still above average). A year and a half ago, it was finally time to replace the veteran keyboard. I use a Windows 7 desktop PC, but I wanted a wireless model in order to reduce cable clutter. So, first I bought a Microsoft Desktop 3000 combo. Overall, I liked it at first, and wrote a largely positive review here. Unfortunately, that Microsoft product proved to have horrible durability. After a year and a half, the formerly fabulous Bluetrack mouse was wrecked: the wheel's rubber band rotted, disintegrated and fell off, rendering the wheel unusable, and the left button was failing. The keyboard had faded lettering and a failing low battery indicator. Battery life was getting shorter each time I replaced them, too.

So, it was time to give up and shop again for a mouse/keyboard combo, and I found the MK270. I'm aware that the Microsoft Desktop 3000 belongs to a higher feature and price range than the Logitech MK270, so a direct comparison would be, to some extent, comparing apples and oranges. But the point is, I'm not really missing the more sophisticated product. The Microsoft mouse (when it still worked) was better, with 5 buttons and a larger, more ergonomic shape, not to mention the Bluetrack feature, which is awesome. But while the MK270 mouse won't make you go "wow!" (it's actually the Logitech M185 Wireless Mouse, which can also be bought separately), it's good enough for everyday use, and other than the somewhat small size for my taste, I can't really complain. It's responsive and reliable, with Logitech's usual solid build and impeccable finishing.

The MK270's keyboard (also available separately as the Logitech K270 Wireless Keyboard) lacks the wrist rest area that my old keyboard had, but a spare foam rest is cheap and easy to find. My old keyboard had a plethora of customizable keys that the (M)K270 doesn't have, but honestly, I never used any of them. The (M)K270 does come with Play/Pause, sound mute, volume down and up keys, as well as Home, e-mail, PC shutdown and Calculator shortcut keys. I wish it had more media keys (Stop, Next Track and Previous Track), but I can live without them.

On the other hand, the MK270 also has some features that the supposedly better Microsoft combo did NOT have. The best of all is an on/off switch on both the keyboard and the mouse. This little detail is more important than it sounds: it makes A LOT of difference for battery life. With the Desktop 3000, I could not turn off the keyboard, and I could only turn off the mouse by taking the receiver dongle out of the USB port (remember I use a desktop, so this is a nuisance) and placing it on the mouse. My old Microsoft model didn't encrypt the signals either - the MK270 does.

Another good feature is the Unifying receiver dongle technology: if either component dies before the other, you can buy a compatible stand-alone Logitech product and the dongle will recognize it, with no need to buy an entire new combo. If the dongle itself fails, you can buy the cheapest Unifying-compatible item you can find and the problem will, likewise, be solved. That, of course, assuming that your warranty is expired - Logitech offers 3 years for this combo. And if for some reason you need more than one keyboard or mouse, you can add extra compatible ones, too.

The (M)K270's keys themselves are MUCH, MUCH better than in my old Microsoft model, with the right size, height, readability, and feedback - Microsoft's were a bit too short, crammed and soft, and the Esc and function keys were a joke: almost microscopic and labeled with icons instead of names (I had to count the function keys to find the one I needed to press!). To be honest, I'm enjoying working with this basic keyboard more than I did with the more sophisticated one by Microsoft. When it comes to keyboards, no esoteric feature compares to having the right feel of the keys, and the (M)K270 has it. I'm a translator and I type all day long in my work, so I should know.

Overall, great value for the price, I'm very happy with my purchase and recommend it enthusiastically.

UPDATE (May 2015) - It's been now two years since I bought this keyboard/mouse combo, and it's still working like new, and looking almost like new as well. The keyboard labels haven't faded, with few exceptions, which is remarkable, considering how intensively I use the keyboard all day every day. The Logitech logo on the mouse has almost disappeared, and the on/off switch on the mouse is a bit worn (the relief "handle" is, to be more precise), so sometimes it's a bit difficult to move it to the other position (once I do, it still works), but otherwise it's still perfect. The keyboard still works perfectly. No question that both components are VERY DURABLE.

Now I'm using Windows 8.1 and it's still compatible (SetPoint even allows you to configure some buttons to Windows 8.x functions like Charms, though I use Classic Shell and I'm never on the new "Modern"/"Metro" interface, which I dislike). I'm expecting no problems if and when I upgrade to Windows 10. I'm getting a much shorter battery life than Logitech promised, but it's still very reasonable: about 4 months for the mouse and 6 months for the keyboard (I used to get only 2-3 months for both with my old Microsoft combo). Keep in mind, however, that I'm a very intensive user and you may get much longer battery lives if you use the PC less often (remember to always turn the keyboard and mouse off when you won't use them for a while). Also take note that in my experience, it really pays to use better-quality batteries, even if they're more expensive. So, I'm still very happy with my purchase and still recommend it.

Some other reviewers have noted that some recent shipments of the MK270 have come without the Unifying technology. While I don't think that would have the least impact in your operation in the short term, it may make it more difficult to replace one of the components if it fails in the future (not that this is likely to happen, judging from my experience), so be sure to ask and confirm if it will come with Unifying.
1717 comments| 621 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2013
Style Name: Mouse and Keyboard|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Logitech Wireless MK270 keyboard and mouse set is a smaller version of the MK520 model. Like the MK520, it operates at 2.4GHz with 128-bit AES encryption. That is important to prevent snooping. I was impressed by how small the radio receiver is. It measures ¼ inch wide, 9/16 inch long, and ¼ inch deep, excluding the metal USB plug. It can be stored in a small compartment inside the mouse. A 1-5/8 inch cordless USB extension is included. This MK270 set is plug-N-play. No driver installation is necessary.

The keyboard measures 5-3/4 inches x 17-1/2 inches with a low profile. It is narrow. There is no wrist rest. In spite of its smaller size, it has the full set of keys of a standard full-size keyboard. The keys are of the standard size and slightly concave. The key travel is somewhere between that of a laptop and a full travel keyboard. The key strokes are firm and responsive. There is an indicator light for the Caps Lock key. It is convenient for password entries. But there is no light for the Num Lock or the Scroll Lock. There is a roll of eight special function keys on top to control functions like speaker volume and launching e-mail. Except for the speaker controls, I don't find them very useful. There are two flip-up legs at the underside to elevate the keyboard at an angle if the user desires.

The mouse comes in the small version. It is quite responsive. It fits well in a small hand. There is a scroll wheel. The mouse works on one AA battery while the keyboard does so on two smaller AAAs. The batteries can be switched off at both the mouse and the keyboard. The batteries are included in the purchase.

In conclusion, this MK270 is a low cost alternative to other more robust wireless keyboard and mouse sets. At thirty dollars, the price is attractive. The smaller keyboard takes up less room on desktop; it may be more desirable than a standard size keyboard when desktop space is at a premium.
55 comments| 267 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2015
The keyboard and mouse work well out of the box. Batteries are included so all you need to do is pull the battery tabs on the keyboard and mouse and plug in the Bluetooth dongle and you are good to go! I have had no connectivity issues or ever had the keyboard or mouse lag on me whatsoever. For $20 you really cannot beat this set. The shortcut keys for things like calculator, volume up and down as well as mute, internet homepage, mail, and power all work out of the box. The only thing I can see that one be a downside for some, not me, would be the lights telling you if number lock and scroll lock are on. The light for Caps lock is there, so that is the only one I really care about. I gave it 4 stars for this being missing though as it seems like a 5 star keyboard would have this. Mouse is flawless from what I can tell, works on my desk with or without a mouse.
review image review image
on May 6, 2014
Another disappointing product from Logitech, having used their products for 25 years. (see photos)

This keyboard not passing the "laugh test" in any office a couple decades ago, when the average customer had greater performance expectations.

PROs:

i) Other than the space, enter and backspace keys which make a sharp clicking-taping noise upon bottoming out, the keys on the MK270 keyboard are quite, though not as quite as the K340 keyboard.

ii) Very inexpensive product and perhaps ideal for elementary school environments.

Suitable for graduates and oficiandos of Tw!tter literature.

CONs:

Keyboard

i) The MK270 keyboard is smaller than the K340, the K340 already smaller than full size. Thus, coming from the K340 am making many typing errors, striking two keys at a time, my hand slightly smaller than average in the USA.

ii)The MK270 keyboard is not well designed for lap use and ridiculous being a cordless keyboard. The keyboard constantly slipping off the left leg as there is not enough keyboard. The keyboard does not have any rubber pads to coincide with one's right leg thus sliding off the knee. Only a tunnel vision manager, or bonus chaser approving this minimalist design keyboard and one best left for desk use.

iii) Unlike the K340 keyboard, the LED for the caps lock key on the MK270 is not on the caps lock key. Instead the LED is located at the far right where one would not tend to be looking for key stroke confirmation, resulting in an unnecessary neck turn.

iv) The MK270 keyboard, unlike the MK340 though slippery, has nowhere to grab the device from the left side should you wish to place it besides the computer or next to the desk leg, and not much better on the right side having just the upper right hand corner to grab. This being a function of Logitech wishing to save too much material, packaging volume and generally indifferent to the end users experience.

v) The keyboard itself has a very weak frame compared to the K340 and twists easily or worst sags in the middle when typing along the upper row of keys when elevated (tilted) at the back by the rear lift tabs on the underside.

Mouse

vi) The MK270 mouse has a very low profile (minimize the volume) and for that reason, unlike my Microsoft 3500 mouse, the heal of my palm slides across the surface of the desk aggravating my preexisting mouse induced callous and sore tendons. The callous at one point growing larger from using a Logitech MX Anywhere mouse that has many of the same low profile induced ergonomic flaws as the mouse that come with the MK270 set. In addition, the MK270 mouse being very narrow at the tail end, along with low profile compounding the little support issue for the palm.

vii) The location of the apex (high point) on the MK270 mouse is too far center, thus my palms slips off the back of the mouse too easily. For that reason, need to keep my shoulder tense to keep the heal of my palm from dragging on the desk surface.

viii) The laser at the bottom of the MK270 mouse, like the Microsoft 3500 mouse, is not centered as is that on my MX Anywhere and MS Bluetooth mouse. Hence, the laser is not resting over the area of the surface one expects.

ix) The weight (mass) of the mouse with single battery being too little at 74 grams and far too easy to bump, the MX mouse with twin battery weighing a more substantive 130 grams. The MS 3500 mouse being slightly heavier than the MK270 mouse, at 89 grams.

x) The friction pads, like those on the MX mouse are too noisy and perhaps twice as noisy a mouse on the desk relative to the Microsoft 3500 mouse. After just one hour of use, showing wear.

xi) The loud and harsh click produced by the mouse is about as loud and disruptive in a quite room as the MS 3500 mouse, both being noisier than the MS Bluetooth travel mouse much louder than the Logitech MX mouse with its very soft clicking sound.

xii) The battery cover on the mouse slips off much too easily making no secure latching like sensation upon closure.

xiii) The scroll wheel has a very low quality indent sensation and sloppy relative to the scroll wheel on my MS 3500 mouse. The scroll wheels being used by Logitech continually getting lower in quality and build with each new product generation.

The leadership, if one could even call it that, managing Logitech being focused on the wrong end of the horse.

In short, those that find this product to be anything but marginal at best, have yet to use a quality keyboard and mouse combination.

Minus 0.5 for a mechanically weak keyboard frame.
Minus 0.25 for not being well suited of lap use and few grab points.
Minus 0.25 for less than ideal location of the Caps Lock LED indicator.
Minus 0.5 for the low quality switches and scroll wheel selected for the mouse.
Minus 0.25 for the very low profile and poor ergonomics of the mouse.
Minus 0.25 for noisy low friction pads and cheap battery cover design.
22 comments| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2016
Low price, long range, and hotkeys

Reason for purchasing:
I'm sure many of us familiar with the following issue: A large amount of cable that makes mess and disorganization around your desktop.

Package description:
The product comes in a rectangular box with wireless keyboard (aprrox. 17.5" X 5.5") and mouse (approx. 4" X 2"), USB receiver, connect PC to the mouse & keyboard), 2 AAA (keyboard) and 2 AA (mouse) batteries, and instructions.

Pro:
1. Wireless - First no need to use any cables! Second after checking this product I found that the range is up to 26ft even though dry walls.
2. Low price - Excellent product for low price.
3. Hot Keys - Eight hot keys that give quick access to Volume levels, play/pause music, Internet, Email, Calculator, and Shutdown option.

Con:
There is much stuff that can make this product better like more hotkeys, longer range, design and more but all this options cost money. Therefore, for this low cost, I don't have any complaints.

In Sum:
These are an excellent set of Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse, you having eight hotkeys, long range, the batteries last several months (even if you leave the set on ON). Therefore, I love and recommend this product to all.
Thank you.​
on June 18, 2014
When the keyboard and mouse arrived I was concerned because the keyboard did not seem very sturdy but went ahead and started using it. I have discovered that it must have connectivity issues because the keyboard will periodically stop typing letters but you don't notice until you look up and see what you wrote was gibberish because it doesn't freeze, it just randomly stops putting in the letters. Actually sometimes it does also freeze which is better because at least you notice faster. I have tried replacing the batteries twice and I did test the batteries first so I am certain it is the receiver on the keyboard. Unfortunately it is slightly more than a month after I placed my order so I am not sure if I will be able to get a refund but I will definitely need to replace it.
66 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 26, 2013
The Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Keyboard and Mouse is Logitech's entry-level set. The wireless receiver supports both the keyboard and mouse to fill only one USB port and it works just fine from a hub. There is a range extender included for the receiver for use with a desktop PC although I'm not sure when it would be necessary. Everything is plug & play and hot-swappable: receiver, keyboard, mouse.

The keyboard has large keys that travel well and it is very comfortable for typing. It has a row of special function keys across the top for volume, etc. that are designed for Windows but the basic keyboard works just fine with my Mac as well. The on-off switch is conveniently placed on the top right rather than underneath or on the edge.

The extendable feet are very flimsy and have no padding so they would scratch a wood desk or table. When flat, the keyboard is supported by five rubbery feet, including one below the space bar.

There is a numeric keypad on the right which some people find indispensable. However, I have gotten used to laptop-style keyboards and find that this is not only a waste of valuable desk space but that it makes the keyboard extend so far to the right that using the mouse is awkward. (Total width is 17 3/8 in.)

The mouse functions quite well and is very precise but is a generic design and is on the small side at 3 3/4 in. long and I prefer a larger, more ergonomic mouse. It has the handy little storage receptacle for the wireless receiver in the battery compartment and the on-off switch is underneath as well.

I suggest proactively buying the rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop batteries to have on hand as replacements for the generic alkalines that are included because they will stop working without warning. The keyboard uses two AAAs and the mouse uses only one AA rather than two AAs as the Amazon listing states.

Overall, the MK270 is a basic but functional combo from Logitech with a full-size keyboard and a smallish mouse.
55 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 28, 2015
Absolute garbage. You can get generic no-name brands which function better than this. I have the same issue as others. Keyboard lags or freezes up. I have 3 Microsoft wireless keyboards and none of them do this. This is by far the worst purchase of my life (apart from a 2007 Mini Cooper). Sure its only $20. It is still too much. I saw the bad reviews but like all electronic stuff, I figured there might be few bad apples. Well I was lucky enough to receive one. I don't know how this is rated so well. The feel of the keyboard is soft and I absolutely hate the feel. Microsoft keyboards have better feedback. I bought this for my wife so initially I didn't try it out. However, after few months when it started having issues, my wife complained and I decided to exchange my microsoft keyboard and mouse for hers. Wow! I couldn't even finish one statement in Xcode without this junk freezing up. I immediately ordered Microsoft 5000 wireless combo. I will throw out this keyboard out the window. The problem with Microsoft wireless devices is that if you break the USB transreceiver you are done. You have to get a new package. The good thing about Logitech is that you can just order the transreceiver. That is probably the only good thing about this combo.
66 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 27, 2014
I've always been a logitech fan, and wanted to order another set from them for my television. I don't like the concept of buying something that takes batteries, but this is very practical for a TV set. The USB receiver is very small, and a small extension is included to allow it to be easily removed if that is desired.

The keyboard has a good feel to it- it's certainly not the best I've used over the years, but it's good for today's standard of keyboard. The mouse works well and fits well in my hand.

My biggest complaint about this was the keyboard arrived not working. I figured out that I just had to bend the positive battery terminal a little so it touched the edge of the battery. I don't see how this could have been damaged during shipping, so I'm guessing they do not do a full test at the factory before sending these products out.

With that said, after the quick fix and a little bit of worrying that I would have to ship this product back, the product works well and is a great product considering the low price I paid for it.