Other Sellers on Amazon
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
NTSC/Region 0. A remarkable man with a poisonous wound: the indelible memory of a fated childhood love and haunting urge to rediscover it's lost passion. When he encounters a voluptuous widow with romantic plans of her own, it is her nymph daughter who ultimately wins his affections, testing his demons and satisfying his secret desires with disastrous results. As Humbert, Jeremy Irons creates one of the great, fearless screen performances. His face registers the astonishing complexity of Humbert's inner life, calculating, romantic, eventually soul-sick with his own love. Castaways. 2006
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Director Adrian Lyne takes a different approach. He removes almost all the comic elements from the story in favor of a kind of tragic romanticism. It wouldn't work except for the remarkably compelling performance of Jeremy Irons as a man hopelessly, impossibly in love. Dominique Swain and Frank Langella are also excellent in the roles of Lolita and Quilty.
There's a magnificently written passage near the close of the book in which Humbert, who has been lying to himself and the reader to justify his behavior, admits the horrible offense he has committed in destroying Lolita's childhood and her life. A shortened version of that passage is included in Lyne's film, and it doesn't fit. The character in this version of Lolita is so different from the one Nabokov created he never would have spoken or thought those words. The only tragedy he can see in the end is his own.
1. This is a German import ("Region A") so the movie should play on American machines (at least it does on my Samsung player).
2. Picture quality is quite good. The quality of the original film element varies scene by scene, so the Blu-ray will only enhance that (good and bad). I don't think this has been remastered, but it's still a BIG improvement over the 480p dvd.
3. Sound is fine. I have a stereo setup, so I can't comment on the 5.1 audio.
1. There is no video picture on the Bonus Features (at least on my blu-ray player). Audio only.
The Trailer however, plays fine. So hang on to your original dvd! From what I can tell, it's the same features simply ported over to the blu-ray.
2. The default language is German (dubbed) so you'll need to go to the Language Menu and change it to English (easy to do).