Hill Climb Racing 2 Check out Santa's new ride Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Cyber Monday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Echo Plus Cyber Monday Deals: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on June 4, 2014
The book was inspiring and enough to bring you to tears. The dedication, training, loyalty and courage of these men makes you very proud to be an American. I was dismayed to see them put at the great disadvantage of the rules of engagement. We take the finest, train them and then expose them to needlessly hold their fire in the face of a clear and present danger. Thus we risk for the sake of PC the very lives of those on whom we rely in the most dangerous situations in their task of protecting Americans. The movie follows the book closely and deviates mostly where it is necessary to condense. The acting was great but I did not feel the same sense of loss and grief that I did with the book. This is partly because of the writing and directing I believe. I also think that not enough time in the beginning was used so we could individuate and get to know and recognize each personage, which in turn detracts from the dramatic impact. The photography was great but the book gave me a much clearer picture of the ordeal and courage under fire of each man. I am not a director and thus can't know what all was needed to convey what we saw and felt in the book, but it strikes me that the powerful emotional impact was simply overlooked or thought "too patriotic" to appeal to the public, or what is more likely the writer and director chose not bring these things out because of a liberal bias. That is too bad because that is the same outlook that imposes on our military the rules of engagement and ties one hand behind their backs.
Apart from these observations I thought tha the execution of the action was great. In my mind this movie rates five stars because what was done was well done and that the public needs to know the tragic extent of the sacrifice these men are making.l
on June 6, 2014
This film was so humbling to watch and made the three of us who watched it together realize what a cushy life we lead...none of us in our youth, in the best condition we've ever been in, would have survived more than 5 minutes of the regimen the Navy Seals depicted in this film experience regularly. It also made us realize how fortunate we are to have such a fine military, especially the elite units, such as the Seals. Peter Berg the writer/director was determined to do justice to them, and he has succeeded...this was the finest military film - my opinion - since "Saving Private Ryan", just a couple of clicks better than "Black Hawk Down". It is based on a failed mission, Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan in 2006, as documented in a book written by the "Lone Survivor", Marcus Luttrell. Having read the book I can say the plot follows Luttrell's story closely...there are only a couple of significant differences taken for dramatic effect and not worth mentioning. The mission was compromised - and ultimately failed - because the four-man Seal team was discovered by a goatherder and his two sons; and because of the decision - the right decision regardless of consequences - to let them go. Mark Wahlberg, in his best role to date (again my opinion) stars as Marcus Luttrell; and he receives outstanding support from Ben Foster, Taylor Kitsch, and Emile Hirsch, who play the other three Seal team members; and Eric Bana who plays the mission commander. This is not an easy movie to watch; but then neither is any good war movie...this is one on the best in that genre and carries my highest recommendation!
on July 9, 2017
I liked this movie. Liked, not loved. I'm usually a fan of MW, but in this movie, it seemed obvious he was acting. I wasn't 100% sold. Solid action flick though. I think Act of Valor and 13 Hours were much better.
Enthusiast: Star Warson August 10, 2015
What to say that hasn't been said already. This was a sad movie, this was a brave movie, this was a stunning movie. Let's talk about Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster. it must have been so hard to play these parts but these 4 men pulled it off, these 4 men were those men. I felt every pain they did, I felt every bullet that struck them and I had pain and love for them as they did.
on December 22, 2016
Brutal descriptions of the world of a Seal, in training and in action. Accurate, however. The "true" story of the near annihilation of an entire Seal team in Afghanistan. I appreciated the insight I gained on the life of Afghanis in the hills of their country and the codes of conduct some of them live by that can seem inexplicable to Westerners. I would issue a caveat, however. This book is attempting to validate the ultimate warrior-patriot ethic and way of life. Check your judgment when you begin reading and only engage in judging that way of life at the end. Regardless, it's quite a tale.
on July 5, 2014
Really good movie that brings home the story of sacrifice made by those that serve our country in far away lands. I really think this movie, as other classics like Saving Private Ryan, should be required viewing for the American public as the viewer can truly get a feel for the cost of freedom. It is gritty and powerful stuff.

Director Peter Berg took great pains to make this film realistic to what the SEALS and special ops forces faced in Afghanistan. He actually went downrange with a SEAL team to get a better feel for the job that they do, and how they do it. Further, he took great care to accurately convey the character and personalities of the three SEAL team members that were killed in action on that mountain in Afghanistan. Marcus Lutrell, the true lone survivor was actively involved in the filming of the movie and actually has a cameo role.

Did Berg take liberties with the story? Yes, he did. I've read the book and there are some differences between the two. However, all the essential facts are there and the liberties that Berg took do not, in my view, detract in anyway from the power of the story. Michael Murphy, Matt Axelson, Danny Dietz and Marcus Lutrell gave all that they had for each other and our country. Only one survived, but all will live on in our hearts and memories. May God bless them all.
on August 8, 2014
I don't write a lot of reviews, so when I take the time to do so it means that I liked the film (or hated it) enough to let the world know. I really did not know too much about this movie as I was just in the mood for something different the other night and stumbled on this in the new rentals on Amazon. I have a Prime account, but I wanted something that was new and that I had not seen or heard of. This piqued my interest so I rented it online. This had to be one of the most visceral movies I have ever seen. In fact, you may NOT want to watch it if you get to into your movies. I actually had to pause this a few times because it was just too intense. This is probably as gut wrenching than the opening to "Saving Private Ryan" or the death of Sgt. Elias on "Platoon", or even more so depending on your taste. I thought the acting, the cinematography, the sound, the editing, etc etc were all just top notch. I saw a few reviewers who thought it was a bit jingoistic, but I did not get that at all. It might be a bit of a US Seal centric movie, but that is what it is. The fact that it really happened just makes the film that much more palpable. If you like true war stories, then definitely buy or rent this one. Thumbs way up.
on September 21, 2017
Read the book and the movie (minus the few hollywoodized parts) was pretty good. I loved the fact that Marcus Luttrell played a role in making the film and was even part of the cast. RIP Operation Red Wings
This is not a movie you want to watch when you're in the mood for something light and fluffy. Based on a true story, this movie is gritty, dirty, realistic, and it will leave you both angry and proud. I knew the story which inspired this movie and thus knew the end, but it still left me with my heart in my throat, shouting for a different outcome. Thank you, soldiers everywhere! There is not enough money in the world to pay you for what you do.
on June 10, 2014
First, there are always "liberties" that Hollywood takes when making a movie to connect the audience to the characters and storyline; however, I think overall the director and actors stayed true to the story, especially when Marcus Luttrell and fellow Navy Seals were providing consulting services. I am sure they would want the events and their fallen friends to be portrayed as accurate as possible. The movie is not for the squeamish as it portrays graphic wartime violence. I think the movie gives the viewer a good idea of what these soldiers endured while being assaulted by a great number of Taliban fighters. While somewhat aware of the pain and agony they suffered from reading in the news accounts (have not read the book yet), you cannot fully appreciate their sacrifice until you either watch the movie or read the book (I assume). Not being totally aware of how Marcus Luttrell was ultimately rescued, it provided me an unexpected change of emotion toward the end of the movie which I won't delve into without giving it away. If you don't walk away from this movie without a deeper sense of appreciation for our military service members and what they endure, then something is missing from your soul! This movie ranks right on up there with Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down, and We Were Soldiers!