Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on January 3, 2018
Absolutely an awesome book - very moving - so very glad I got it. I purchased the audio book (on CDs). The reader, Kevin T. Collins, did an excellent job using inflection and accent, so the person reading / hearing, was transported to the actual life and events experienced by Marcus Luttrell as well as the family and friends back home. Great book, now one of my favorites. So happy Marcus wrote this to share with us. Thank you.
on June 8, 2014
Excellent, well-written, and often times quite humorous account of this tragic story. Luttrell holds back no punches with his honest opinions and narrowing ordeal as the only survivor of a 4-man squad of Navy Seals.

I think the best part of the book, with no disrespect to those lost during Operation Red Wings is Luttrell experience during BUD's. He gives some of the best stories of his time trying out to wear the coveted Trident.

My only problem with the book is no mention of Lt Mike Murphy's Medal of Honor citation. Maybe that is because this book was written before he was awarded with it (posthumously).

Looking forward in watching the movie now and reading the other books about Red Wings.
on July 16, 2015
Excellent story of a horrendous battle, where a 4 member elite US military team of the finest examples of Sons of the United States excepted the price demanded of them to act in honor, integrity, and righteousness. For 3 of these heroic men, the price was their own life, for the last, his price was to endure the loss of his brothers at arms, fighting 50 to 1 odds, survive the journey from well behind enemy lines extremely wounded and dying, so he could give an eturnal account of his brother's and his own selfless sacrifice and the reason for which it was rendered. This book is the truest account I have ever read, that depicts the unbreakable heart of a volunteer, and without glory or public recognition and thanks the real life superhero, if you will, acts required of and rendered by the Best of our Countrymen and Women. These 4 men make me hold my head a little higher to be an American.

The story doesn't just stop there, the story also tells of other members of this little known Valliant Fraternity of Soldiers sacrifices willingly given to try and save they're outnumbered surrounded and over ran team of four. Lastly breaking barriers of popular belief, the humanity and selflessness given by a villager that found our last wounded and dying solider. This simple villager provided physical care as well as putting his own life, the life of his family members, and even the life of his entire village in the line of fire and risk of slaughter to honor a generations old code that required him in his village at the cost of death to provide safety and help to a stranger who needed it. In keeping to this code a friendship was founded on more than most of us will ever know and lives to this day countries apart. Without this man in his village is help are only surviving soldier and this story to be tall stories would have never been known or told.
on January 21, 2014
Marcus Luttrell is an American hero. He would most likely disagree with that characterization, pointing instead to those members of SEAL team 10 as the real heroes, men who fought with him and who died on an Afghanistan mountain top in the Hindu-Kush in 2005. Nevertheless, anyone who has earned the Navy Cross (America’s second highest military honor for valor in combat and the Navy’s highest) and the Purple Heart is in my estimation and the assessment of his commanders an American hero.

How Luttrell was awarded those honors in battle against the Taliban on an Afghanistan mountain, how he was trained as a Navy SEAL before the firefight with those vicious terrorists, and how he managed to escape their clutches with the significant participation of a Pashtun tribe and its leaders are the major parts of this adrenaline-fueled, terrifying book.

Like the protagonist in that best of all war novels Red Badge of Courage, we get to see, hear, smell, touch, and taste a ferocious battle while experiencing the thoughts and emotions of a true warrior in a fierce firefight. The only difference is that the author, Luttrell, was in reality the main character of his story while Stephen Crane, the author of Red Badge…, only learned about the horrors of war from others.

This is a political book; make no mistake. Luttrell, unequivocally, expresses his contempt of the liberal media and the political/military powers in charge concerning the rules of engagement in place for the Afghanistan conflict. The handcuffing of our armed forces is a principal frustration that he deplores, and it is the reason why those men died on that mountain. It is also a deadly moral dilemma that is at the epicenter of the story.

The writing style is straightforward, even if at times employing too many clichés. The story moves quickly and poignantly ending in an appreciation for our warriors and their total commitment to America, and why we should be assisting them as a moral imperative and honoring them as an obligation that every civilized society must keep. Marcus Luttrell’s inspiring story in these pages ultimately reminds us of what John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), the British economist and philosopher, said about “better men” and war:

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

The book, which was also written by author Patrick Robinson based on interviews with Marcus Luttrell, has only one flaw and that is the stated number of Taliban who attacked. In the book, it was erroneously indicated at between 80 and 100. In the Medal of Honor citation awarded posthumously to Lt. Michael Murphy, the commander of SEAL Team 10, it states: “between 30 and 40 enemy fighters besieged his four-member team.” That is the only quibble I have with this remarkable story of uncompromising bravery in the face of crushing savagery.
on March 2, 2015
This is a good read about a historical event. The book did drag on for a long time, starting with Navy bootcamp, then to SEAL school and speciality training. The actual Afghanistan event is only a medium to small part of the book. I have known and served with a few SEALs and know they are (rightly and deservedly) filled with ego and bravado, and this book is heavily laced with both...I understand, but there is so much that I find myslf questioning the accuracy of many of the events. That sqaid, would I recommend it? Yes.
on September 27, 2016
An amazing first-hand account from the survivor of an ill-fated mission of four Navy Seals. I had seen the movie several times, but wanted to get the straight version that had not been massaged by the studio. As good as the movie is, the true life account is even more intense and riveting. Four extremely well-trained and brave men left on this mission, and only one came home. Plus the lives lost trying to rescue them when one of the helicopters was shot down. To read about what truly happened on that mountain and the efforts and sacrifices made was incredible.
These men were all heroes, who were willing to lay their lives on the line for our country. Sadly, some of them had to do just that, based on a decision they had to make.
on December 20, 2014
This is the incredible account of Operations Red Wings as told by the Lone Survivor of this mission, Marcus Luttrell. Marcus has made it his life's mission to tell the story of his three brave warrior brothers who were killed in the mountains of Afghanistan in 2005. The story does great justice to these men. Mr. Luttrell has done a great job memorializing them. The one thing that bothers me about this book is that it was clearly written soon after the mission and Marcus' return to the states, and therefore his emotions and especially his anger are very apparent here. Also obvious is his absolute disdain for "liberal" Americans and the liberal media. I'm not by any means a liberal, but I was insulted by his attitude toward the American people he chose to defend. The more I read stories written by SEALs, especially from the GWOT, it is becoming increasingly clear that the egos of most of these guys know no bounds. Apparently, unlike Delta Force, these guys don't check their egos at the door, and are not above "eating their own". (as observed by listening to former SEAL Drago of SOFREP radio disparage a retired SEAL who had a distinctive 20 year career in the teams and who came out as transgender after retirement and the former SEALs who remained friends with her).

I will not, however, take anything away from his absolute courage in the face of so much. He has served honorably and has done right by his friends. I'm very glad to know the story of these brave men. I hope Mr. Luttrell will forgive the rest of us for being open to change.
on April 29, 2016
This is a really well written book. I am very glad that I got the opportunity to read his story. I would like to say a huge thank you to all of the men and women that have fought and continue to fight for our great country.
on April 24, 2017
If this had been fictions, I would have said the writer was smoking crack and way over did it. But often, fact is stranger than fiction. An amazing ready that feels very true and authentic, as if you sat down with Marcus and he told you his story over a couple of beers. Loved it!
on September 14, 2014
A book such as Lone Survivor isn’t read simply for pleasure. Choosing it for that reason would only lead to disappointment. I chose it for multiple reasons: curiosity, research for the novel I’m writing, the movie hype and patriotism. It didn’t fail me on any of those counts. After reading the last page, my questions were answered, my curiosity sated and my comparisons made, all without compromising my patriotism.

Reading Lone Survivor was like having a conversation with Marcus Luttrell, or rather sitting with him as he told about his experiences. I felt like I could stop at any moment and ask a question and he’d answer, but the narrative is such that I didn’t want to interrupt.

This book isn’t for the faint of heart; it holds truths that are harsh and ugly. But for those that possess an unwavering love of the United States of America, it’s a testament to the lengths our military will go to serve. It also gives insight into the workings of terrorists and their hatred for what we hold dear. In between, it reveals a narrow gray area where the ancient tradition of lokhay warkawal saved the life of a Navy SEAL.

There were times the writer in me cringed. For example: “And then, very suddenly, a great fog bank rolled in…” That, ‘very suddenly,’ is a double whammy no-no. But in the next paragraph you get something beautiful: “I remember looking down at it, moonlit clouds, so white, so pure, it looked as if we could have walked right across it to another mountain. Through the NODS (night optic device) it was a spectacular sight, a vision perhaps of heaven, set in a land of hellish undercurrents and flaming hatreds.” A splendid visual.

Lone Survivor is a book that I will carry in my mind for a long time, it isn’t easily forgettable. While I’d like to recommend it to everyone, I know there are those that can’t or won’t enjoy it. Luttrell has no ‘love’ for the media or liberal politicians and he gives valid reasons for his stance. If you count yourself among one of those groups, but are willing to see things from his perspective, I encourage you to read the account of Operation Redwing. Of course, pro-military individuals should, and probably already have, read it.