Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $4.99 shipping
Lonely Planet Antarctica (Country Guide) Paperback – January 1, 2005
There is a newer edition of this item:
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Nobody covers the world like Lonely Planet.' --New York Post, May 2004
From the Publisher
Who We Are
At Lonely Planet, we see our job as inspiring and enabling travellers to connect with the world for their own benefit and for the benefit of the world at large.
What We Do
* We offer travellers the world's richest travel advice, informed by the collective wisdom of over 350 Lonely Planet authors living in 37 countries and fluent in 70 languages.
* We are relentless in finding the special, the unique and the different for travellers wherever they are.
* When we update our guidebooks, we check every listing, in person, every time.
* We always offer the trusted filter for those who are curious, open minded and independent.
* We challenge our growing community of travellers; leading debate and discussion about travel and the world.
* We tell it like it is without fear or favor in service of the travellers; not clouded by any other motive.
What We Believe
We believe that travel leads to a deeper cultural understanding and compassion and therefore a better world.
Top customer reviews
My daughter and I both utilized a copy of the book for advanced planning prior to her depature. She took a copy with her and I had a copy with me. I read the majority of the book while she was preparing and continued to consult the book while she traveled. I found it to have an amazing amount of information and I really could not find anything missing from the book that I thought I needed. In addition, my daughter found it incredibly useful as the ship she was aboard traveled from site to site. She could research the next stop at night, and be totally prepared for arrival by morning.
If you are planning to get only one guide book for a trip to Antarctica, I would recommend this book highly. Small enough to take with you in your carry on, yet large enough to be able to answer almost any question you can imagine!
A few shortcomings:
I wish that more detail would have been given to the sub-Antarctic islands. Wikipedia covers these in more detail than the book, and that is disappointing. I also expected more maps, particularly in the islands component. I would have also liked to see more color pictures and would have gladly paid extra for them - LP should realize that most purchasers of this book are not going to be able to go to Antarctica anytime soon and so we are experiencing it through these images.
Again, outstanding book - be sure to pick up the Falkland Islands LP guide if you like this one!