BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Chris young $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 17, 2013
The guide is seriously outdated. I bought a version that the website claims to be published on December 2012. For example, how can a guide miss an airport in Uyuni (one of the most important destinations in Bolivia)? The airport was built two years ago!!!!!
Travel times, travel routes, companies and so on are not accurate any more. The guide is still useful for a general idea of where to go and what do to but it is not reliable for making decisions.
On a more specific and personal level, I think this is the last guide I buy for kindle. It is really difficult to navigate and maps are just impossible to use.One ends up wasting a lot of time trying to find stuff and in the process one misses some important bits of information.
Summary: Look for another guide if you plan to travel to Bolivia or use this one knowing that for getting around it is not accurate and you'll have to find travel specifics from somewhere else.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
I have been using Lonely Planet guides for over a decade and for travel on three continent now. I can say without reservation that this guide is not reflective of the quality I have come to expect from Lonely Planet. This book was littered with omissions and errors, both grammatical and factual, through out. Also, there is too much emphasis on upscale dining and accommodations. How many people need a review for an $800 a night hotel? Leave that stuff to Rick Steves and Frommers, please.

Previously I would reach without hesitation for the Lonely Planet when researching and planning travels, but that will no longer be the case. LP is now just another guide book in my eyes and will have to compete with Moon for my patronage in the future. My confidence in the brand has been rocked.
on December 17, 2012
In my understanding the use of a guide book is to help you orient yourself in an unknown surrounding with ease (and help you stay safe). Sadly, the maps do not work in the kindle version... they are too small to read and it is NOT possible to zoom in further, making an important part of this document obsolete. The "sleep", "eat" and "get around" sections of the book are useful some of the time although I have found the internet to be a more helpful resource.

Two stars (instead of three) for the bad maps. Three stars because I find this LP guidebook (as all the others) impossibly dull to read and only semi-useful.
on June 30, 2013
I swear by Lonely Planet guides and use them whenever we travel. Good info, good maps and usually good picks for the accomodation but the ebook i found hard to use. No index or page nos. Cant just flick through, backwards and forwards. Can save with a bookmark but the words that mark the place arent always the ones that help you know why you saved it. The section you want is halfway down th page but the words refer to something at the top of the page!!! Maybe the book should come with a how to use!!!!! Much lighter having my guides on my ipad but then I wont be looking them up on a street corner will I !
on May 22, 2013
For the price, you simply couldn't ask for a better guide to the country. Every question I had was answered. It covers every region, every genre of traveler, addresses every need one might have. Sprinkled throughout are thoughtful suggestions and warnings. For example, I will be carrying toilet paper with me everywhere I go in Bolivia.
I'm so glad I bought this book!
on January 2, 2013
As always, lonleyplanet provides good, accurate information. in this guide i felt like it was just more of the same info available in previous editions and in other books.
Would be nice to have new info, better maps and a little more intel on the quality of services.
overal; good but not amazing
on August 23, 2014
Like any other lonely planet guide book, this now is very useful . Well researched and well written. Now 1 more word required
on June 18, 2013
This is a decent guide book. However things like hotel conditions, tour operator reliability are very dynamic. Hence some online research is surely needed to complement the use of this book.
on January 9, 2005
This was the most recent guidebook for a trip to Bolivia for December 2004. (Rough Guide and Footprint were positively elderly.) I did also check out the Let's Go (2003) and Footprint (2002) from the library to bring along also. I ended up using all 3, which is to say none of the 3 had everything, and each of the 3 had some bit of useful info lacking in the others. The numbering to Sucre's map was off, as I recall (Let's Go was not much better, with south facing up and north facing down!). Also in Sucre one popular attraction (the dilapidated but worth-seeing La Glorieta mansion) was omitted in LP. I ended up using Footprint in Sucre. I found that hotels and dining that were cited in all 3 books were indeed highly recommendable. Lonely Planet seemed to have the most up to date info, which on occasion prevented some trouble. Aside from these serious errors, the 2004 Lonely Planet did definitely have a 'completely rewritten' feel as advertised. If these editorial errors could be fixed, it might just have edged out the competition. One positive it that it's thin but still manages to pack as much info as the thicker Footprint and the Let's Go (which was thick because it covers 2 other countries). None of the guides to Bolivia out there is a clear leader. Unfortunately, the best advice is to use at least 2 books in conjunction: Lonely Planet (or perhaps Let's Go) for currency and another of your choice. Maybe in 2005, some new edition will appear....
on January 16, 2013
Itinenaries, rates, available hotels, activities are not updated.

Also, viewing the maps in kindle was impossible.

Bolivia's guide was not good. Viewing it in the Kindle made it even worse.