Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 26 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 54 reviews
In a once in a lifetime trip, my father and I went to the old country, Ireland, for an extended period and went everywhere. We rented a car at the Dublin airport and drove into Dublin. That was my first time driving on the left side of the road and with the steering wheel on the right-hand side, and after the long flight. Well, some things you learn by being thrown into the deep end.

The Lonely Planet guide was very helpful in locating everything once we arrived in every city. It explained many things about all our surroundings and that helped get us started. Even though I gave the maximum stars, one of the problems in this and every guide is that the writers list the places they went and not all the places. Not only that, but they tend to list the places where only tourists go. But all these books do that so one must take the good and look for themselves when they arrive at their destination.
on February 1, 2014
I find that this particular book is a bit bulky for my taste. Then add the fact that nearly all of the book is black and white makes it feel a little clinical. I find it interesting that one of the few color photos in the book are of the people who are contributors to the book.....strange. There is a lot of useful information about the attractions, places to eat and sleep per county. But I use Trip Advisor for restaurants and accommodations. I also got Lonely Planet Discover Ireland. It doesn't have as much information but it's colorful and the print is larger. I think these two books compliment each other but I really don't want to carry two books around as a reference so I'll just stick to DK.
on April 22, 2010
This is a well-written, manageable guide offering many alternatives for those travelling to (or dreaming of going) the Emerald Isle. Lonely Planet Guides have always done a decent job of this, and this guide is no exception.

Does it do anything unique? Not especially. Lead to hidden treasures? Well, no (the leprechauns are evidently still guarding those pots of gold at the ends of rainbows). Could it use loads more photos? Sure. Is it encyclopedic in its coverage? Nope. And it doesn't do much for Northern Ireland at all, at all, which is truly unfortunate. Could it give you a better idea of distances between places, and perhaps better ways to get there? I do wish it would! Is it a bit chunky and weighty, given current luggage weight limits? Groan: yep.

But is it a competent, easy to read, well-organized travel guide? Yes.

And that's about the best one can hope for, isn't it? After all, nothing's PERFECT.
on December 11, 2001
As with many other countries, Lonely Planet has a very good guide for Ireland. Every city, town, and village are covered in this book. No matter where we were, we could always find something on the location. The index is wonderfully useful for that purpose. There are also some suggested itineraries. My only criticism is that LP seems to have missed many of the excellent guesthouses in Ireland. I would think this should be LP's speciality, so found this aspect disappointing. Still, I would not leave home without LP, on this trip or any other for that matter. Even if you don't want to go the budget route --something many associate with LP -- you will gain from the descriptions of places, restaurant and pub recommendations, maps, history, and more. And despite its reputation, LP does list high-end hotels, castles, and the like. I haven't found a single excellent guide for Ireland, so I suggest doing some internet research before leaving and taking LP and at least one other guide (I like the Blue Guide series).
Bon voyage!!
on June 14, 2009
For sheer breadth of information, it is hard to beat the Lonely Planet. They not only cover each location in incredible detail, but the history, food and culture each get extensive coverage that I found very useful. The walking tours were also very detailed and informative and could be used in the absence of a tour guide.

What I found to be one of the key strengths of this guide over others were the number of accommodation options and restaurants. For each location they generally picked a favorite which was almost always worth checking out (although sometimes pricey).

The Lonely Planet guide is also among the best for budget travelers and those looking to travel green.
on September 10, 2010
I was pretty proud of myself for planning to go "all Kindle" for my upcoming trip to Europe. What I mean is, instead of buying the dead tree edition of this book, I just clicked the "download to iPad" button and thought I was good to go. The night before the trip I took a second, closer, look at the contents of this ebook. OK, the text is not as nicely laid out as in the paperback editions that I'm used to. But the real deal killer was the maps. They are all crappy: Low resolution, pixelated and hard on the eyes. Some maps are readable anyway, but some (for example "Greater Dublin," location 2135) are blurry and completely illegible. And the whole-country color map, always found on the inside cover, doesn't seem to be present at all.

I have no opinion on the contents of this book yet. I'll let you know after I buy the paperback edition and take it on the road. I guess the future hasn't arrived yet ...
on January 19, 2011
There is a lot of stuff missing in this book so it's not one to travel with and actually depend on like we did. We got lost often and the book wasn't much help. Lots of maps...but not all that great. The descriptions of restaurants and hotels is not very accurate...they make everything sound like you "want" to hear it rather than what it really is so you get there and think "wait...this is it?". It needs more pictures...a lot more pictures.
on March 25, 2006
Lonely Planet's "Ireland" is the most thorough travel guidebook I've found. It covers more subjects and lists more places than any other single guidebook. The descriptions are current, interesting and relevant. The maps are very useful and specific directions are given to get to the various sights listed. Also the Irish as well as the English form of place names is given - helpful when trying to interpret road signs. Various forms of transportation available in each place is also a bonus. This guidebook lists more lodging and eating options than any other. Whether you are into wind surfing or shopping, hiking or bar hopping, this book has a wealth of information for you. If you are only going to get one guidebook for your trip - this is the one to get.
on December 19, 2016
perfect
on June 16, 2008
I have always been a fan of the lonely planet books, because they really help me find places to go in other countries. However, take my review with a grain of salt because, at this point, I have not taken my trip to Ireland yet. While it is informative and it has given me ideas of places to visit and hotels to stay in, I have not experienced what the book has said. However, it has helped me book hotels and design my iternerary.