BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Dirty Heads $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 31, 2012
So I got this book (not e-book) in preparation for a trip to Tokyo this past month. It seemed great with the maps and suggestions for places to go. I made a whole itinerary based on this book which was quite nice. However, once I got to Tokyo/Japan, I was only able to find the major sights on the maps. Some of the minor places on the map flat out weren't there when I was standing exactly where the map said, and when I'd look at the description of the place, no location was given. While I was loving the book for planning, I realized there's so little important information about each sight (such as where exactly it is) that the book became pretty much a heavy paperweight I carried around all the time. The only thing truly useful while I was there were the maps themselves in regards to where I was. It was nice but as I have a good sense of direction it still proved unnecessary ultimately. The additional subway map is great but you can get that for free at any hotel or the airport.

Also, many of the suggestions themselves (particularly with food and hotels) are plain expensive and not catering towards the average or frugal traveler. Most suggestions are very expensive (even for Japan) and instead of offering some cheaper options, they tell you a few websites to check out instead. Pretty stupid to buy a book only to be told to look elsewhere.

Ultimately this book was only useful to find major places before I left, which any Japan travel site could do for you. I didn't end up going to a single restaurant or hotel from this book because the suggestions were either too high-priced or they just gave poor directions (or none) to where they were.
on October 27, 2011
I have the book, not the Kindle version, and I have to second the other reviewer in saying that there seem to be a lot of changes that make this less helpful that the older version. There's still a fair amount of information about places, good directions, etc., but they have thrown out separating the accommodation into budget/midrange/topend and also seem to be focused on toprange places. I don't need a guidebook to tell me that the $400 a night hotel is good-- but I don't buy Lonely Planet because I can afford to stay there, or eat the $100 meals they rave about. When it comes to booking accommodation in Tokyo, they list a bunch of $300 places and then say to just check on the internet if you want budget... ???? Well, that would be helpful if I were coming in late on the train. It makes you wonder why you bought the book... Weirdly, the Fodor's had more budget options in some places.
on December 23, 2011
This e-book was a huge disappointment. Nothing at all like the lonely planet guides that you can buy off the lonely planet website as PDF's. There are hardly any maps and the book is very hard to navigate. Very disappointing considering this is only the second Kindle ebook I have purchased :(
on July 30, 2013
Internet, some apps, a smart phone and Wikipedia are much better than this guide. The guide is shallow, they explain very little and their maps and recommendations are not very useful. Many times during my trip it was completely useless. They try to make an interactive guide but you could find free apps (in the case of android) with better and more useful information, tips and places than the ones they offer in this guide. If you go to Japan instead of wasting your money in this guide, rent mobile internet for your smart phone or tablet.

It makes me sad; they used to be useful, funny and smart.....
on May 25, 2013
It is very difficult to navigate. The search function is not intuitive.
The index is not detailed enough. The maps come in bite size sections and dont relate well to the area.I was in several cities in Japan recently and the digital version was not very helpful
The printed version is much much better.
on May 24, 2016
Buy the ipad version to save weight, this book is bulky to carry around for traveling.
on July 27, 2013
Incredibly difficult to navigate. I guess I envisioned more of an app-style guidebook, whereas this is really just the guidebook digitized, with no thought given to layout or style. Maps are not zoomable and do not appear all on one page, so they are even less useful than a paper map.
on June 3, 2013
It was helpful in giving me ideas of some places to go.

and providing good tips about what to do or not to in the country. should definitely purchase it before your trip and use it as a helpful guide. i bought once already in japan, but it was still helpful.
on September 20, 2013
It was a toss up whether to bring this book or the Rough Guide. I have both but took the Lonely Planet. No problems. I found the info to be a consistently good. No complaints. For me the layout is better than the Rough Guide.
on October 25, 2013
Felt like it covered the basics, not that much detail included. I would recommend this book to get the general idea and\ to do even more research by yourself for the area you are intending to go to.