|Print List Price:||$18.99|
Save $9.00 (47%)
Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price set by seller.
Lonesome Dove: A Novel Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 964 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
- Book 1 of 4 in Lonesome Dove (4 Book Series)
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1) Nothing you read afterwards, for years to come, will compare. Lonesome Dove will spoil you and diminish everything else you read, no matter how good it may be.
2) It really is not long enough even at it's sizable bulk. You will not want this to end. It starts slowly, but like the cattle drive it depicts, it builds momentum.
3) You will have a difficult time convincing anyone else to read this fine book. You'll hear several standard excuses, especially "I don't like Westerns" and "It's too long" (refer people who say this to my #2 warning above). I know few people who have ever read the book, but those of us who have share the same feelings. It's frustrating to read something so wonderful yet have so few people with whom to share it.
4) McMurtry's sequel and prequels are inferior.Read more ›
Even if you've never read a western book in your life, this is a literary masterpiece, the Shakespeare of the range, so to speak.
McMurtry uses the Western as a starting point, but there is a little of everything here. Surely there has never been another American Western with so many varied characters, both men and and women. McMurtry juggles many different points of view, but manages to give each of his characters a unique voice. Most remarkable of all, I think, are the women in the book, who manage to escape the usual stereotypes of madonna or whore, even though many of them are, quite literally, prostitutes.
Lonesome Dove is written in a deceptively simple, unpretentious style. I've just finished reading it for the second time. Despite its length it is really a fast read, since it is one of those books that demands to be taken with you where ever you go until you are done.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
One of the best books I have read out of hundreds. Gotta be in my top ten. I cast it in my mind before the movie version was made, and I got two of the main characters right. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Ben
It is very, very good. I like this writer very much. It is just my style of writing. This is the first for me of his books, but it won't be my last. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Lonnie D Cross
My first western novel. It was a very long book but I enjoyed it. It took me a few weeks to get through it though because the pace is a bit slow.Published 11 days ago by Brett
I'd recommend it to anyone with adventure in their heart.
Read it... Let it envelope you... It's a great escape.
I have not read the book as of this writing. My purpose is to thank @AML for the consideration in warning of the spoiler in the Intro. Read morePublished 17 days ago by R.A.H
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Westerns
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Literary
- Books > Literature & Fiction > United States
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Westerns > Classic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > United States
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Action & Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Literary Fiction > Historical