Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 59 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 81 reviews
on July 13, 2014
Surprisingly, this is the best quality I have seen for the series. This applies to all 3 Alpha DVDs. This third volume is even of a little bit better quality than the first two.
Don't get me wrong, the episodes all suffer the same off-color problems as the other DVDs out there, but these are sharper and they have a bit of a richer color palate here. If you already own the episodes, it's probably not worth the price. These are OOP now and the Amazon dealers are pricing them accordingly.
on August 13, 2012
In the beginning of this movie, we find Long John Silver in the "Cast and Anchor", biding his time, waiting for an adventure to come his way. We don't have to wait long before another pirate arrives and identifies two crew members from the ship of El Toro, Lohn John's nemesis, and the adventure begins. This to me is the ultimate Long John Silver movie. Robert Newton IS Long John Silver though n through. No one embodies the classic pirate like he does. He puts his very soul into the part. His raspy voice and wild-eyed glances practically allow us to see the gears of his scheming turn. He portrays Long John quite a bit more softly in this version, than in the Disney movie, which is good because his misdeeds can be forgiven much more easily. Kit Taylor also plays a perfect Jim Hawkins. When I hear the name, I mostly see his face. I've loved this movie since I was a wee lad of seven years. I'm fourty now and love it to this day. I actually enjoy this more so than the Disney "first chapter". There is more story, more character development and it's all in all a better movie in the pirate genre. This movie takes us on more twists and turns and we venture to more locals as the story unravels. The score is also perfect. David Buttolph created a rousing score to compliment this movie, punctuating every scene to enhance the veiwers experience as no other score could. My only complaint here is the condition of the movie itself. It's newer than the Disney movie, but looks fifty years older. I cannot understand to this day, why the studio didn't protect this GEM as Disney did with theirs. I've looked for this in a rematsered/restored version but have come to the conclusion that one does not exist. I can only hope that a company buys the rights and restores it to it's original glory. Maybe even Disney (with its facilities) could buy the rights, restore it and pair it with their Treasure Island in a two movie package on Bluray. It seems a perfectly fitting combo for sure. That would be my treasure that my map lead to.
on November 18, 2016
This IS the TV series despite what others have said. It is only 13 of the original 26 episodes but that is currently all that is available. The Robert Newton biography Apologise Later was recently published so hopefully the remaining episodes will show up in time. However time has not been kind to the original film quality so some episodes may be lost due to improper film storage. Time will tell! A must have collection for any Robert Newton fan!
on July 17, 2017
Robert Newton at his best.
on May 27, 2017
Poorly made film
on January 12, 2017
Good quality and fun to watch.
on August 28, 2016
I'm giving this 5 stars only to reflect the service that provided the DVD. The disc arrived in record time and the packaging was good.

As for the movie itself? I saw this ages ago. As a kid, I thought it was a good, exciting, adventure movie. As an adult, all I can say is, "What was I thinking!"
on November 14, 2007
These are the title on this dvd ;

The necklace
Turnabout
Miss purity's birthday
Dead reckoning
Devil's stew

it is enhanced so while the film still has that " old " grainy film look the colors are bright and the sound is wonderfull. Highly recommend to all long john silver lovers there is also a collector's addition out in some stores which have the " missing " episodes

Voodoo
Infernal Triangle
Where Men Are Men
The Fishwife
Ties of Blood

so far T have only heard of it being sold in UK and in some virgin retial stores like downtown disney
on April 25, 2017
Same movie as Long John Silver. Don't buy them both...like I did.
on April 23, 2017