BCA Month Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(2 star). See all 210 reviews
on March 25, 2012
I love this story. I love all the Little House stories and I wanted to share them with my children. We have so many books at home and too many to read, so I thought I'd share my favorites from my childhood on CD with them in the car. We are loving the story, but it is soooooo hard to listen to this narrator. She pronounces Laura as "Lar-a" as in star-a, instead of Lore-a. I've tried to get past it, but it sort of starts to grate on you. And when she tries to do Carrie's voice, or the girls laughing, it is like nails on a chalk board. And oh, when she tries to sing Pa's songs with the fiddle I have to turn it off. She hits the notes and is in tune, but the texture of her voice is infuriating. She is a talented reader, and I appreciate her efforts, but, oh my... it is a bit hard to listen to. Not at all soothing.
77 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2009
I just rented the audio book, read by Cherry Jones, and really could not stand listening to it. I'm glad I didn't buy it. I have read the book several times, and it is a great book. As a native Minnesotan, I can verify the authenticity of it's descriptions of winter. However, the Ingalls family were of Norwegian descent and orginally from Minnesota. Despite stereotypes of pioneers from the TV show, the Ingalls would have had Midwestern accents. I really do not want to hear this book read with the flat prairie twang of the far west. Furthermore, Cherry Jones may be a good actress, but her reading is pure literary sing-song, the kind that makes you stop listening to the meaning of the words after about 3 minutes. If you love country western music and the Grand Ole Opry, maybe Cherry Jones is the reader for you. Otherwise, skip it.
on March 19, 1998
It stunk. The first 100 pages were unimpotant details like, Almonzo made good pancakes. Who cares? Young children might enjoy this book, but certainly no one over the age of 9.
55 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2013
I bought this thinking it would be like the set of the first 5 books that I purchased at the same time. I wanted my granddaughter to be able to save it for her children. This paper will never make that time period. but the heavier, kind of glossy paper in the set will.
on November 14, 2010
This book was not in the condition expected, which was labeled as good. After only one night of reading it, a couple of pages fell out. Cover and individual pages were in good shape, but binding clearly was not.
on January 30, 2013
Some positives: The Ingalls family is a close-knit loving family and the books promote familial love as well as helping and loving others.

It gives children a look into a life completely different from their own and a piece of history.

If you read my other Little House reviews, you know I'm not a huge fan. I just don't find their plots-or lack there of, very interesting. The Long Winter is my least favorite-I found it as boring and long as the Winter it describes. I am surprised of all the Little House books, this one made the top 100 Children's Novels on Student Library Journal.

While this one is a little more heart-wrenching (seeing Pa start to break down, people freezing), there is still lack of plot development and it drags.

Many children seem to like these books and find them interesting, though, They are just not my cup of tea.
on March 25, 2013
The first time the book was open the spine cracked and every page that was turned fell out. I have a nice stack of paper.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse