Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Customer reviews

Look at Yourself
Format: Paperback|Change

on June 7, 2015
the book is a little too vague. John seems like a good man who has good things to share: I went to his website and saw some of his videos.
The book was too vague and I got lost in trying to understand what he was trying to point to
on February 25, 2015
Excellent book on self inquiry
on April 12, 2014
I have nothing to say besides this: go to justonelook.org, look at yourself briefly, or regret it for a very long time.
on January 5, 2013
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book.
Took my inner work and meditation to a whole new level.
The best part about it is that it is easier than anything I
have done prior (for the past 20 years) and had the biggest
impact on my life. I highly recommend buying this, no
matter where you are in your personal development. The
key is to "just do it" the simple exercise he has you do.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 19, 2012
Not much time to review, but quickly...I have read many books in the "spiritual domain". This simple suggestion of looking within is really helpful and the book is worth reading in my opinion.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 23, 2012
This book consists of 200 pages of questions and answers recorded at a retreat. I have read a fair number of books by non-dualistic contemporary authors. (Foster, Gangaji, Parsons, Wheeler, Adyashanti) And a couple from a generation or two ago (Maharshi, Nisargadatta) Sherman knows of what he speaks. But so do lots of people. So it boils down to: "Does he speak to ME? Can I relate to how he presents the material? Is this important to me now?" Since I am the first person to not give this book 5 stars, (if memory serves) he probably speaks to a lot of people. So, if you are leaning towards a non-dualistic approach, give it a shot. It might speak to you. FOR ME, it was just a lot of more of the same, but not presented in a way that really excites me. Unfortunately for this review, I have a lot to do today, and can't spend a lot of time on this. And this might not be fair to Sherman, but his approach leans toward the intellect, and I prefer those that lean toward the heart. A story whose relevance I have to figure out, that has personal meaning to me, is going to take me farther than explanations. I have read Foster and Gangaji many times, and will continue to do so, getting fresh insights from every reading. I really can't see myself reading Sherman again.
on February 23, 2012
I read maybe three or four books a week and it seems increasingly rare that I find a book such as this. If you've already gone through books from Dennis Waite, Byron Katie, Jed McKenna and the like, this book will, or at least it did for me, bring into sharp clarity all the fuzziness, that, even though you've done your best to grasp the true meaning, you were left with.
While the, how shall i say this, technique could be steeped down into something like one paragraph, the author is very carefull, as well, to pose questions that I didn't even know I had until they were posed....and to tell the truth, the only short coming I felt I found within the book was the author's transition to the question and answer dialouge seemed not as smooth as the rest of the book.
Overall though it was Excellent....Excellent....Excellent
on December 23, 2011
Look At Yourself

After having tried self-inquiry, meditating on the I am and reading hundreds of spiritual texts I became exhausted. Through the search I came across John's message. It is very simple and straight forward but it requires some sort of dedication to stop focusing on the contents of experience and just look at the one experiencing. It is you. No practices, no rituals or belief systems are needed to find freedom from the fear and alienation that comprises most people's experience. I strongly recommend this book.
on July 9, 2011
Don't get me wrong, I love John and think his message is profoundly helpful if you get it and in getting it you have the ability, time, conditions and mental space to work it. However I feel he underestimates the conditions required. To use an extreme example, if someone was sticking red hot irons up your bum and down your throat there is no way that you could calmly reflect on the fact that you are here. You would be so restless and overcome with pain, horror and terror that you would just be trying to stop this from being done to you. Similarly people have levels of agitation and obscurations attacking there mental set up. They can even be quite subtle yet all consuming at the same time. Such obscurations that make this practice seem inane and useless. These people need other supportive practices to get them to a point where they can appreciate the value and relevance of what John is saying. Hence although it could be all that these people ever needed to do, it just wouldn't happen. The compassionate teachers give other methods to subdue and prepare the mind for great methods like this, even though this would have worked from the get go.
What's interesting is that teachers who say all you need is this, have usually done allot of spiritual experimentation and work before they themselves got it!
John was living like a prison monk for 16 years!
Compassion and clairvoyance can perceive what and individual student will have to go through before a practice like this will genuinely be useful and impactful. Hence a fully enlightened being may direct someone to do various practices, before offering such a teaching because just offering this is not the most effective way for that person at that time, with that attitude. Even though it is the most effective practice when you have the karma to hear, appreciate and put it to work!!
The majority of people sitting at the feet of sincere teachers will claim that their lives have improved greatly from being involved with their teachers and the practices there teacher encourages them to do. A small few of those will actually liberate themselves. This is the same for many traditions. It is the same with those who listen to the great John Sherman.
55 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 3, 2011
I tried almost everything when it came to meditation, self inquiry, visualisation, emotional release, etc in the search for peace and fulfillment. If there was anything new, I would try it. And some techniques have certainly been most helpful. All techniques have taught me something valuable, even if only to search in a more critical manner.
But in the end, when all was said and done, there were always some loose ends. There were always more things to solve or change in the body and mind. By some accident, I stumbled into John`s message. And altough I really tried to NOT follow his advice (always thinking this can`t work, this is too easy), sooner or later I had to come back to it. I don`t know why, but IT WORKS. I don`t know how it works, but it does. When there is no way out of myself and the whole chaos of suffering of a regular human being reaches a peak, I always come back to what John is patiently saying for some time now. And it always works somehow. I can`t wrap my mind around it. For the first time, I am doing something that my mind can`t understand or fit into its definitions. And it works.
I don`t know if the suffering is totally over and I don`t know when it will be. But if there is something that can help in relieving it, it can be found in John`s book. This is the real deal, for me at least. I would reccomend this to any human being. Thank you, John