Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 19 reviews
on June 7, 2015
the book is a little too vague. John seems like a good man who has good things to share: I went to his website and saw some of his videos.
The book was too vague and I got lost in trying to understand what he was trying to point to
on February 25, 2015
Excellent book on self inquiry
on April 12, 2014
I have nothing to say besides this: go to justonelook.org, look at yourself briefly, or regret it for a very long time.
on January 5, 2013
LOVED LOVED LOVED this book.
Took my inner work and meditation to a whole new level.
The best part about it is that it is easier than anything I
have done prior (for the past 20 years) and had the biggest
impact on my life. I highly recommend buying this, no
matter where you are in your personal development. The
key is to "just do it" the simple exercise he has you do.
on December 19, 2012
Not much time to review, but quickly...I have read many books in the "spiritual domain". This simple suggestion of looking within is really helpful and the book is worth reading in my opinion.
on October 23, 2012
This book consists of 200 pages of questions and answers recorded at a retreat. I have read a fair number of books by non-dualistic contemporary authors. (Foster, Gangaji, Parsons, Wheeler, Adyashanti) And a couple from a generation or two ago (Maharshi, Nisargadatta) Sherman knows of what he speaks. But so do lots of people. So it boils down to: "Does he speak to ME? Can I relate to how he presents the material? Is this important to me now?" Since I am the first person to not give this book 5 stars, (if memory serves) he probably speaks to a lot of people. So, if you are leaning towards a non-dualistic approach, give it a shot. It might speak to you. FOR ME, it was just a lot of more of the same, but not presented in a way that really excites me. Unfortunately for this review, I have a lot to do today, and can't spend a lot of time on this. And this might not be fair to Sherman, but his approach leans toward the intellect, and I prefer those that lean toward the heart. A story whose relevance I have to figure out, that has personal meaning to me, is going to take me farther than explanations. I have read Foster and Gangaji many times, and will continue to do so, getting fresh insights from every reading. I really can't see myself reading Sherman again.
on February 23, 2012
I read maybe three or four books a week and it seems increasingly rare that I find a book such as this. If you've already gone through books from Dennis Waite, Byron Katie, Jed McKenna and the like, this book will, or at least it did for me, bring into sharp clarity all the fuzziness, that, even though you've done your best to grasp the true meaning, you were left with.
While the, how shall i say this, technique could be steeped down into something like one paragraph, the author is very carefull, as well, to pose questions that I didn't even know I had until they were posed....and to tell the truth, the only short coming I felt I found within the book was the author's transition to the question and answer dialouge seemed not as smooth as the rest of the book.
Overall though it was Excellent....Excellent....Excellent
on July 3, 2011
I tried almost everything when it came to meditation, self inquiry, visualisation, emotional release, etc in the search for peace and fulfillment. If there was anything new, I would try it. And some techniques have certainly been most helpful. All techniques have taught me something valuable, even if only to search in a more critical manner.
But in the end, when all was said and done, there were always some loose ends. There were always more things to solve or change in the body and mind. By some accident, I stumbled into John`s message. And altough I really tried to NOT follow his advice (always thinking this can`t work, this is too easy), sooner or later I had to come back to it. I don`t know why, but IT WORKS. I don`t know how it works, but it does. When there is no way out of myself and the whole chaos of suffering of a regular human being reaches a peak, I always come back to what John is patiently saying for some time now. And it always works somehow. I can`t wrap my mind around it. For the first time, I am doing something that my mind can`t understand or fit into its definitions. And it works.
I don`t know if the suffering is totally over and I don`t know when it will be. But if there is something that can help in relieving it, it can be found in John`s book. This is the real deal, for me at least. I would reccomend this to any human being. Thank you, John
on June 11, 2011
This medicine requires no change in beliefs, religion, political stance, or much new learning. It is the most simple of things, learning to just 'Look At Yourself'. This isn't navel gazing, chanting, or some special state of awareness or 'enlightenment'. It is just you, looking at you. Easy instructions that can be done anytime, anyplace, whenever you remember to do so. What could be more simple?

No expectations are set regarding the ultimate outcome, except that you will be free to live your life without the insane fear that causes so much suffering. 'You will go sane.' There are no promises of fantastic experiences, or mind blowing insights, unless you consider being free from fear a fantastic experience.

Also, there is no sales pitch here, no follow up system to buy to 'get to the next level' or any other 'spiritual path' nonsense. This is not another treadmill of spiritual practice, filled with promises that can't be kept, offered by someone with something to gain as long you 'need' them.

Get this now, start to Look At Yourself today, see how wonderful life can be.

Many thanks to Mr. Sherman for putting this simple approach out there, that directly addresses the fundamental cause of suffering that is generally accepted as normal life.
on July 14, 2010
This is an excellent book for anyone seriously wanting to bring an end to personal suffering. It offers no quick fixes but is very straightforward in its approach. What I love about John Sherman's approach is that he cuts through the traps of many spiritual practices by eliminating the idealization of what we "should be" in life and focuses on what we can do right now to begin destroying the false beliefs about ourselves that are at the root of our fear and suffering.
By the time I finished reading John's book, I realized that "here" - without false beliefs or deep-seated lies beating us over the head and scaring us silly at times - is really all that we have ever wanted. "Here" is everything. And false beliefs are all that stand between us and the ever-present truth that we are complete just as we are.
John's insights are brilliant. He would disagree with me about this statement because he describes himself as a slow learner and ordinary as beans; but no one has ever given me such a lucid and practical view of what is needed to end suffering and be ever-open to the beauty that is naturally, already here.