|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $12.00 (75%)
Look Closer Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Look Closer is written well enough, readable, flows well, no grammatical errors, typos, etc., but I cannot enjoy novels set in the present day yet read like fantasies. There were many acts within the first few pages that just would not happen in the real world (especially if that real world is London - ):
POTENTIAL SPOILERS (at least for the first three chapters).
- Police who are more concerned about the shooting of a reporter than of the next Prime Minister
- A boyfriend who loses his temper because his girlfriend - a reporter - will be interviewing a major political actor
- Police who clear out a room in a major central London hospital to make an office for themselves
- A surgeon requiring a boyfriend to sign consent forms before life-saving surgery
- Reporters who are 'unable' to tell their intimate partners what stories they are working on, even in general
- A boyfriend who leaves the hospital just as his girlfriend goes into surgery
- A barrista in central London who serves coffee in styrofoam cups
- A driver who takes a 'short cut' instead of the 'direct route' (wouldn't a short cut be a direct route?) in London where there are always many different route choices to make.
- Having deviated from the normal route, however, 'professional' hitmen somehow manage to set up an ambush involving two vehicles in exactly the place where CCTV cameras aren't operating - makes sense if the driver is part of the gang but he's the first one shot.
- These 'professionals', obviously well organised and used to killing people, are somehow surprised that police sirens are heard after gun shots and run away without finishing the job (would have taken 2 more seconds)
- That police sirens are heard coming to the scene of a shooting that happened seconds previously - not even enough time for a 999 call to have been made.
Now some of these may sound picky, and if you are not bothered by these sorts of details, then it's probably a good read, but for me these sorts of things spoil the credibility and constantly jar my thoughts when reading.
When Will Fletcher's journalist girlfriend Amy is badly wounded in an assassination attempt on the likely next PM, nobody even imagines that the candidate wasn't the target. Especially Fletcher who suddenly finds himself in the position of target himself, with no real understanding of why or how his life took this turn. Or what, exactly Amy was doing at the time that she was shot.
In the tradition of all great thrillers LOOK CLOSER moves forward at breakneck pace, within a plot that's busy, twisty, turny and very involving. Using the character of the boyfriend as the central focus, a man seemingly as confused and surprised by every revelation as the reader, gives LOOK CLOSER a sense of reality and believability that would not necessarily be there if without his cluelessness about what's going on.
Given we're also in the realms of politics, you'd expect, and you get, conspiracies, corruption, power grabbing, dark and dangerous secrets and lot of intrigue. There's sufficient technological elements to make it feel real and not so much as to teeter into Sci-Fi type territory.
Given the plot and pace, character is not completely left behind. Will, in particular, is both sympathetic and strong, determined but not too action hero typed. He's desperation feels palpable and there's nothing in his character that would cause you to doubt. Which makes the final twist in the tail of LOOK CLOSER all the more surprising, and not obviously telegraphed. Having said that some readers are going to love this and others might be left chewing the corners or the ereader off. It's a final twist is delivered with some force, that actually had this reader going back to "look closer". Are their clues along the way? You'll have to read LOOK CLOSER to work it out for yourselves!
But the combination of politics and organised crime was way over Will’s head. What was he to do? Could he follow the confusing and convoluted clues which Amy had been sure Will (and no one else) would understand? Time was running out and Will had no idea who he could trust. With the bodies mounting, he knew those chasing him would stop at nothing…
Look Closer by Aussie author Rachel Amphlett was a fast paced thriller that had me completely engrossed. Twists and turns dotted this intense and suspense filled novel; I couldn’t put it down! An intriguing and fascinating plot, Look Closer is a thriller I highly recommend. This author never disappoints!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Crime > Vigilante Justice
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Assassinations
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Conspiracies
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Spies & Politics > Political
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Noir
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Organized Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Crime Fiction > Vigilante Justice
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Assassinations
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Conspiracies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Pulp