Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Looking for Alaska
Format: Paperback|Change

on July 30, 2014
This is my first John Green book. I had seen a few of his youtube videos and thought he was an interesting. I bought the book with no expectations and I have to say it was a pretty decent read. It tells the story Miles Halter. He is kind of a loner and a misfit. He passes his time learning the last words of famous people, reading the ends of biographies just to learn them. He lives his home in Florida and heads to a boarding school looking for, "A Great Perhaps". I don't know exactly how to say this, but this book is so readable. I couldn't put it down. I wanted, no I needed to know what happens next. I also found that I loved The characters of MIles and The colonel. I bought in to their friendship and you could tell why they clicked well. But overall I definitely enjoyed, though the ending was a bit disappointing and I thought Alaska was kind of annoying. I can't deny I was sucked into the story and the characters in this book.
Book #60 Read in 2015
Looking for Alaska by John Green (YA)

John Green is one of the most popular young adult authors today and a book like Looking for Alaska shows why. Miles, a geeky, unpopular kid, decides he wants to look for his Great Perhaps and wants to attend private school away from home. He connects immediately with his roommate Chip. His social circle widens instantly when Alaska Young, pretty, moody, popular, notices him. Miles now has a group of friends and they become close. About halfway through the book, the unthinkable happens and the rest of the book shows the aftermath and the search to find out why. This was a gripping, quick read that high school boys and girls would love.

on December 9, 2013
I started and finished it in the same day, which doesn't happen often. Okay, it's rather short compared to the average book length I normally read, but still, I flew through these 270 pages as if I wasn't reading a book but watching a 90 minute movie.

What can I say other than that John Green has done it again: he's won over my heart by creating such recognizable characters, including such soul-touching quotes it seems they were written specifically for me, as if he was almost describing my own life and thoughts and dreams (or nightmares) in his books. I don't know how he does it, only that he's one of the most "true" writers I've ever read.

I had no idea what the book was going to be about, other than about love. So when the days were counting down to "something", I thought it would simply be the moment when Pudge and Alaska kissed, and then would follow some teen drama about how it couldn't work out, yada yada yada ... But suddenly the book goes "Bridge to Terabithia" on me and Alaska dies! But that's part of what makes this such a "true" story: life doesn't have happy endings, so why should books?
on March 1, 2014
I was contemplating what to rate this book when I was halfway through, which is silly since I still had a lot to read.
The book itself was beautiful.
I can't say that I loved Alaska as a character, and I'm not sure I'd like her if she were an actual person, but what she brought forth was something tragically beautiful. She's that girl that is interesting and is full of secrets, the kind of girl who you can't help but fall in love with which is, of course, what Miles does.
I feel like John Green is an author that all teenagers should read because he gives us something to chew on, something that makes us sit down and contemplate life for the rest of the afternoon. He does this through Miles's story and the way he falls for Alaska. I feel like I'm rambling but it's like my mind is still in the book with Miles and his pain and with the Colonel and all I want to do is contemplate life with them just a little bit longer.
This book is a whole lot of funny and more than just a little bit heart breaking and I recommend it to any teenager than can read.
on July 22, 2012
This is the second book I've read by John Green so far (the first being The Fault in Our Stars) and I loved it every bit as much as Looking for Alaska. Gosh I don't even know what to say about this book, I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with reasons why I liked it so much, which seems to be common among people who rate books they loved.

I loved the characters, all of them, particularly Alaska. I found her to be quite intriguing. But I will say that it was a little irritating that she would get super cranky at times, and it was never really discovered what exactly she was so cranky about. And then there's the main plot point in this book which wasn't 100% resolved, which left me feeling kind of an empty void, but at the same time it fits in well with the story, it would have been unrealistic to get the answers to all the questions that were asked. Often times when someone is put into that experience, they are left with a lot of questions, that can never be answered but will still tear you up inside. However I feel like not knowing kind of drew me closer to the characters and everything they were going through.

This book is definitely one that will have you questioning a lot about life, and why we are the way that we are. It's something I think about from time to time anyways, but this book brought me right back into that mind setting. Very thought provoking, and just an altogether amazing read.
on October 8, 2015
Couldn't even finish it. Boring and ridiculous. The teenaged characters were so cliched they were just caricatures of themselves. I really liked FIOS, and was surprised at how poorly this book was written. Definitely expected better.
on April 12, 2017
I don't know why, but my english professor decided to put this book right behind Speak. Both of these works deal some serious subject matter and they made me pretty emotional.
on February 3, 2014
I'm a teenager and teenagers are not expected to be very smart or deep. I'm a huge fan of John Green and is unbelievable how much I can identify myself with his books. Most of teens just think about drugs and sex. Okay Alaska liked sex but to be honest now that is pretty normal.
I'm going to say it, John Green is not an author for every single person in this world. But seriously I don't know a book that everyone likes, that's impossible. But for the person who loves deep teenagers, metaphors and stuff this is a great book. John Green breaks all stereotypes and show us that not all teenagers are as dumb as adults see them.
This is a book that will make you smile and cry at the same time. It will make you see the things from a different point of view. I have read it a thousand and one times and I never get tired of it.
And one last point. Most of the adults who have read it didn't understand the Great Perhaps, it depends of how you choose to live your life. I haven't seen my great perhaps yet, but I'm sure that I will find it.
on March 14, 2015
This book holds all of the worlds beautiful and terrible truths all the what ifs and maybe not's and dead dreams have been ingredients for this novel they were mixed in the most magnificent of ways and now are a concoction of horrible terrible and beautiful truths because our world is full of these truths, it us simply that we dont choose to see them. Adults disregard the labyrinth and all of its twists and sickening turns, they disregard the smoking habbits of minors. But the young dont for they cant disregard they can only see what is ahead while adults can only see know. Maybe we should all be foolish children with this momentous hope but then it would not be so momentous. That is what this book has taught me and now I hope I have taught you something as well
on March 19, 2014
MORE than 5 stars!! This is an amazing read, with a very captivating group of characters. This is my first John Green read, and it took me awhile to pick it up, but as soon as I saw it available on Kindle for a really good price I was thrilled. This book is sooo readable and believable, at first I thought it was non-fiction. The book is very adolescent in feeling, the way the characters act and behave, but the writing and the message are definitely relatable on all levels, to just about everybody who has experienced loss and heart ache. The story comes to a firm climax, but it doesn't end there and I love that, it makes the read an experience and not just a story. The story had a great ending and it is something that I will read more than once, and I've already recommended it to a few friends who love a good read. It is no surprise that it won a Pulitzer. I can see this becoming a classic, and a staple read that every high school student should be required to read! Move over Salinger.