Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

Looking for Alaska
Format: Paperback|Change

on January 7, 2018
The book came in perfect condition. This is one of my absolute favorite books. I bought this for a friend and they loved it as well. John Green is one of my favorite authors. His books go so into detail and can reach out to young teens with his words through the story. I highly recommend this book. 10/10
on January 7, 2018
I wanted to give this book less stars, but I realized it was for a personal reason. There was a death just like this in my community prior to this book coming out. The book made me laugh and cry. It was a good book.
on January 2, 2018
The description of Alaska made her a bookworm, however, the antics and social circle she inspired left me thinking of her as less of a reader and more of a leader. I did enjoy the storyline, pace and chapter setup.
on December 31, 2017
Looking for Alaska is much what I imagine the state of Alaska to be like. Vast, beautiful, full of discovery and awe inspiring. The story reflects the vast opportunity and discovery inside of our own beautiful and awe inspiring lives.
on August 26, 2014
This author is really worth reading , I was fascinated by his account of these teens lives.There must be something about a prep school that brings out the craziness of teens. Craziness seems to go with being a teen.However I think of my teens and friends and we didn't hide smokes and wine , we liked most teachers and even respected authority. Pranks were fun but we were not obsessed by them. I guess we were nerds. Alaska, the charismantic, guilt-ridden, wounded girl is the focus of their group. and her struggle with the existential questions spurs that in the others. Miles seems the " everyman" of the teens, and I found his journey compelling. They were all very bright teens which might explain their mythic quality. I suppose Alaska's death was essential for a way out of the labyrinth but I was uncomfortable with it. All in all it's a book I shall never forget.
on May 25, 2014
To quote Mr Green himself: "You trust me to write a good story and I trust you to brong it to good life in your mind!" I LOVE John Green's writing. It is exquisite! This story was very different from what I usually read. At first I really loved it. It was awesome to follow Miles/Pudge on his quest for the Great Perhaps. However, the pace was slow and even if that not necessarily has to be a bad thing in this case it made the reading experience hard. Also, as much as I adored Pudge, The Colonel, the Old Man, Lara and Takami, I just couldn't connect at all with Alaska. I could see Miles fascination with her, but she was maybe too crooked for me. I did enjoy the story and even more the excellent writing. I LOVED the post script where J Green talked about the book. This book is nothing like TFIOS in regars to how that book affected me, but it is a good reading experience and I will continue to read anytjing from J Green.
on March 30, 2015
This is a review. You are a potential buyer of said book I am reviewing. Why is this a very straight forward introduction? Because I see no other fit way for the review of this book. The main character, Miles, is a bit lost. He lived a very straight forward life, much like the introduction. But he then went to Culver Creek. Where he wanted to find his " great perhaps." Did he find it? That is up to you, really. You see, by the end of this book, Miles is a changed person. He decides to go and add adventure to his life. This is not only a book, but a lesson. A lot of people do what Miles did. Close themselves in. But I am here to say that it is no way to live. And Miles realizes this. This lesson alone, makes this such a great novel.
on November 19, 2013
Looking for Alaska may be considered a more humorous book but what most people don't realize the vast deepness it has. The main character in this book, miles meets someone who he believes he is destined to be with but she, Alaska, only sees him as a close friend. I think many guys in high school are facing the same problem because they’re to afraid of rejection. A quote Alaska contemplates throughout this book is “how will I ever get out of the labyrinth of misery?” I believe Alaska didn't think she deserved to escape the labyrinth and that’s why she rebelled so much and she wanted Miles to rebel with her because she was so lonely. Looking for Alaska is one of my favorite books because it took an average teenager with an average teenage brain and made him into a relatable person even though I am not a boy and I have never had to face loss like he did I still laughed and cried with him all the way through the book I felt like i was in his shoes. I highly recommend this book to anyone with eyes who can read! It really changes your perspective on life.
on May 11, 2016
This book took me on a emotional journey. I never read books like this I won't lie most of the books I own are all star wars books. But I watched the movie paper towns and really liked it looked up John green and wanted to give one of his books a read. Now I think I might b have one of my new favorite books of all time. I read this in 2 sittings I couldn't put it down and I'll just leave it in don't want to describe anything in the book out of fear of spoiling anything.but this is a truly amazing book one that will stick with me a very long time.
on September 19, 2014
LOOKING FOR ALASKA, had excellent characterizations of the title character (Alaska Young), the protagonist (Miles "Pudge" Halter), the protagonist's clever roommate (Chip "Colonel" Martin), and their Asian sidekick (Takumi). The setting is an Alabaman private school, Culver Creek. The thread throughout the book is a pair of famous last words, Francois Rabelais' "I go to seek a Great Perhaps," and Simon Bolivar's "How will I ever get out of this labyrinth?"

The setting provides for discussions about religion, famous writers and precalc in a world of hormone-crazed teens who smoke, drink, and quest for sex every chance they get.

The book is divided by a "before" and an "after", and I liked the numerical daily reference especially as you traveled further and further from THE DAY in either direction.