Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on January 1, 2015
Well documented and interesting for those of us who enjoy the Anne of Green Gables books. The photographs are sometimes blurry but a thorough reading will answer any questions you have about L.M. Montgomery..
on January 5, 2011
Got this for someone who has always adored Montgomery's "Anne of Green Gables" and who also recently traveled to Prince Edward Island to see and experience the beauty of that land. The book tells of L.M. Montgomery's life, inspirations for her writings, and includes many old photos. A perfect gift!
on May 23, 2011
It's funny, but as you grow up you do see the flaws in your childhood icons, but it doesn't really hurt as much now as I think it would have back then. I loved the Green Gables books and have read almost everything that LM Montgomery has written back in the resurgence of her popularity in the 80s. Thought she was just about the most perfect writer, and all her books were so romantic, etc. I think I saw what I wanted to see. As Gammel points out, Montgomery really didn't have much romance in her, and most of her characters lasting relationships are with their best girl friends. She also was a bit of a snob, which does explain some references in her books that I always wondered about.

This was a very interesting book, retreading things I did know but putting them in a new light. Anyone who grew up reading Green Gables, or the Emily Series should pick this up.
on May 5, 2009
I loved this book! I am big fan of Anne of Green Gables and loved the way the book flowed and all the great detail on Maud's life and how the story of Anne came to life. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is a fan of Anne of Green Gables and L.M. Montgomery's life. Such a wonderful read!
on September 2, 2008
I was disappointed by two aspects of this book. The first was the dramatic style of writing by the author. Just write, we get it.

The second was that I expected a biography of Lucy Maud Montgomery's life, but I really didn't get a sense of who she was. This book ends near the publication date of "Anne," so I don't know anything about Maud's marriage, move west, birth of her 2 sons (I don't even know their names!), and when she and her husband die.

This is more of a scholarly look at the life of the book, instead of it's creator, so I was disappointed in that. There are also some allusions to lesbianism, but they're unfounded. No facts are brought to bear on that allegation. It just seems too "fashionable" to publish some "dirt" on this pastor's wife. It's speculation - looking back on 100 years of history - and I didn't like it. (The same thing was said when the author alludes that Hans Christian Anderson was a homosexual.) If you're going to make such statements, at least provide me with FACTS, not speculation. It's tawdry.
55 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse