Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New album by All is Bright Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

Looking For Alaska
Format: Hardcover|Change

Book #60 Read in 2015
Looking for Alaska by John Green (YA)

John Green is one of the most popular young adult authors today and a book like Looking for Alaska shows why. Miles, a geeky, unpopular kid, decides he wants to look for his Great Perhaps and wants to attend private school away from home. He connects immediately with his roommate Chip. His social circle widens instantly when Alaska Young, pretty, moody, popular, notices him. Miles now has a group of friends and they become close. About halfway through the book, the unthinkable happens and the rest of the book shows the aftermath and the search to find out why. This was a gripping, quick read that high school boys and girls would love.

on December 9, 2013
I started and finished it in the same day, which doesn't happen often. Okay, it's rather short compared to the average book length I normally read, but still, I flew through these 270 pages as if I wasn't reading a book but watching a 90 minute movie.

What can I say other than that John Green has done it again: he's won over my heart by creating such recognizable characters, including such soul-touching quotes it seems they were written specifically for me, as if he was almost describing my own life and thoughts and dreams (or nightmares) in his books. I don't know how he does it, only that he's one of the most "true" writers I've ever read.

I had no idea what the book was going to be about, other than about love. So when the days were counting down to "something", I thought it would simply be the moment when Pudge and Alaska kissed, and then would follow some teen drama about how it couldn't work out, yada yada yada ... But suddenly the book goes "Bridge to Terabithia" on me and Alaska dies! But that's part of what makes this such a "true" story: life doesn't have happy endings, so why should books?
on March 1, 2014
I was contemplating what to rate this book when I was halfway through, which is silly since I still had a lot to read.
The book itself was beautiful.
I can't say that I loved Alaska as a character, and I'm not sure I'd like her if she were an actual person, but what she brought forth was something tragically beautiful. She's that girl that is interesting and is full of secrets, the kind of girl who you can't help but fall in love with which is, of course, what Miles does.
I feel like John Green is an author that all teenagers should read because he gives us something to chew on, something that makes us sit down and contemplate life for the rest of the afternoon. He does this through Miles's story and the way he falls for Alaska. I feel like I'm rambling but it's like my mind is still in the book with Miles and his pain and with the Colonel and all I want to do is contemplate life with them just a little bit longer.
This book is a whole lot of funny and more than just a little bit heart breaking and I recommend it to any teenager than can read.
on July 22, 2012
This is the second book I've read by John Green so far (the first being The Fault in Our Stars) and I loved it every bit as much as Looking for Alaska. Gosh I don't even know what to say about this book, I'm finding it quite difficult to come up with reasons why I liked it so much, which seems to be common among people who rate books they loved.

I loved the characters, all of them, particularly Alaska. I found her to be quite intriguing. But I will say that it was a little irritating that she would get super cranky at times, and it was never really discovered what exactly she was so cranky about. And then there's the main plot point in this book which wasn't 100% resolved, which left me feeling kind of an empty void, but at the same time it fits in well with the story, it would have been unrealistic to get the answers to all the questions that were asked. Often times when someone is put into that experience, they are left with a lot of questions, that can never be answered but will still tear you up inside. However I feel like not knowing kind of drew me closer to the characters and everything they were going through.

This book is definitely one that will have you questioning a lot about life, and why we are the way that we are. It's something I think about from time to time anyways, but this book brought me right back into that mind setting. Very thought provoking, and just an altogether amazing read.
on March 14, 2015
This book holds all of the worlds beautiful and terrible truths all the what ifs and maybe not's and dead dreams have been ingredients for this novel they were mixed in the most magnificent of ways and now are a concoction of horrible terrible and beautiful truths because our world is full of these truths, it us simply that we dont choose to see them. Adults disregard the labyrinth and all of its twists and sickening turns, they disregard the smoking habbits of minors. But the young dont for they cant disregard they can only see what is ahead while adults can only see know. Maybe we should all be foolish children with this momentous hope but then it would not be so momentous. That is what this book has taught me and now I hope I have taught you something as well
on March 19, 2014
MORE than 5 stars!! This is an amazing read, with a very captivating group of characters. This is my first John Green read, and it took me awhile to pick it up, but as soon as I saw it available on Kindle for a really good price I was thrilled. This book is sooo readable and believable, at first I thought it was non-fiction. The book is very adolescent in feeling, the way the characters act and behave, but the writing and the message are definitely relatable on all levels, to just about everybody who has experienced loss and heart ache. The story comes to a firm climax, but it doesn't end there and I love that, it makes the read an experience and not just a story. The story had a great ending and it is something that I will read more than once, and I've already recommended it to a few friends who love a good read. It is no surprise that it won a Pulitzer. I can see this becoming a classic, and a staple read that every high school student should be required to read! Move over Salinger.
on August 26, 2014
This author is really worth reading , I was fascinated by his account of these teens lives.There must be something about a prep school that brings out the craziness of teens. Craziness seems to go with being a teen.However I think of my teens and friends and we didn't hide smokes and wine , we liked most teachers and even respected authority. Pranks were fun but we were not obsessed by them. I guess we were nerds. Alaska, the charismantic, guilt-ridden, wounded girl is the focus of their group. and her struggle with the existential questions spurs that in the others. Miles seems the " everyman" of the teens, and I found his journey compelling. They were all very bright teens which might explain their mythic quality. I suppose Alaska's death was essential for a way out of the labyrinth but I was uncomfortable with it. All in all it's a book I shall never forget.
on June 24, 2014
In typical John Green fashion, Looking for Alaska ripped my heart out and put it in a blender. Miles (Pudge) is a junior at a boarding school for the first time. He was a loner and misfit in his school were he lives, but is a just a misfit in a group of misfits at the boarding school. He’s fascinated by, maybe in love with, Alaska, a girl in the group. The book is split into before and after with the before counting down to a certain day and event and the after trying to make sense of life and what has happened.

Yes, the characters do naughty things much like any group of teenagers with little supervision (they also do good things like study a lot and try really hard to get good grades in their classes). The characters are real (several are probably just like people you know). They make mistakes. Other than (or maybe because of?) the whole heart blender thing, Looking for Alaska is a fabulous book.
on May 25, 2014
To quote Mr Green himself: "You trust me to write a good story and I trust you to brong it to good life in your mind!" I LOVE John Green's writing. It is exquisite! This story was very different from what I usually read. At first I really loved it. It was awesome to follow Miles/Pudge on his quest for the Great Perhaps. However, the pace was slow and even if that not necessarily has to be a bad thing in this case it made the reading experience hard. Also, as much as I adored Pudge, The Colonel, the Old Man, Lara and Takami, I just couldn't connect at all with Alaska. I could see Miles fascination with her, but she was maybe too crooked for me. I did enjoy the story and even more the excellent writing. I LOVED the post script where J Green talked about the book. This book is nothing like TFIOS in regars to how that book affected me, but it is a good reading experience and I will continue to read anytjing from J Green.
on March 30, 2015
This is a review. You are a potential buyer of said book I am reviewing. Why is this a very straight forward introduction? Because I see no other fit way for the review of this book. The main character, Miles, is a bit lost. He lived a very straight forward life, much like the introduction. But he then went to Culver Creek. Where he wanted to find his " great perhaps." Did he find it? That is up to you, really. You see, by the end of this book, Miles is a changed person. He decides to go and add adventure to his life. This is not only a book, but a lesson. A lot of people do what Miles did. Close themselves in. But I am here to say that it is no way to live. And Miles realizes this. This lesson alone, makes this such a great novel.