Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Nothing More PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
on June 11, 2015
I bought this book a year or so after I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I was excited to see a black woman with the disease sharing her story. There aren't a lot of those voices out here. It is a good book but even though we share race and this disease, her life was still pretty different from mine. I enjoyed learning about her balancing act with the disease and her life as a wife and mother in another country. I was hoping to see more lifestyle similarities to my own. That said... it is a good memoir. And I'm grateful that she wrote it.
on July 21, 2008
I picked up this book because I had heard it was hilarious. In addition, as a retired M.D. and former practicing radiologist, I was particularly interested in a patient's story of her ordeal with cancer. Though I have read thousands of mammograms in my day and have diagnosed thousands of cancers of various types, I have rarely viewed cancer through a patient's perspective. Radiologists, as you may know, have limited patient contact.

This book is light summer reading. Despite the fact that it is nonfiction and deals with a rather gruesome topic, the author has written a page-turner. The main reasons, it seems to me, is that she is an extremely funny and very talented writer, and an unusually pithy observer of human nature.

I had recommended the book to my wife, who said she had no interest in a cancer memoir. But once a number of our friends had also started raving about the book and she stumbled across a great review of it, she bowed to the pressure and started reading it. Now she's interrupting my writing with gales of laughter and exceptionally positive commentary.

So that's my bottom-line recommendation to you--if you're not interested in cancer, fine. Forget this book is about cancer. It's really about the human condition and will keep you in stitches from the moment you pick it up until it allows you to put it down, which won't be until you've finished it.
on August 6, 2015
Very funny memoir. A good book for one with breast cancer and those caring for her/him. Lots of good information about breast cancer and treatment in a funny presentation. Good for a laugh during a stressful time dealing with this serious disease.
on July 24, 2008
Lopsided is not about cancer or medicine. It's not politically correct or sugar coated. It's about the reactions of one amazing woman to a major speed bump of life. And it's not a downer. Without this kick a brilliant first-time author might never have written, and isn't that short hair cute! My only complaint is I finished two hours into a twelve hour flight. What comes next? When?
on August 25, 2013
I had hoped this would be a pick-me-up for my sister, who has breast cancer. Sadly, nothing in it was light-hearted.
on July 21, 2008
I bought this for a friend who was scheduled for surgery. Advised her to read it first so she would have some snappy answers for the idiotic things people say when you have cancer. She enjoyed it and has been ready for the remarks!
on November 27, 2009
I couldn't believe I got this order in such a short time. Very pleased with merchant.