Amazon Vehicles Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 146 reviews
on April 29, 2015
Always expect to be entertained when reading another of the Amelia Peabody series by Elizabeth Peters! I now have all 19 issues in this series that I bought through Amazon and have on my Paper White. I am now re-reading the entire series and am on book #15. It is like visiting a favorite group of relatives and living (with them) their unique life as Egyptologists in the early part of 1910. Think Indiana Jones and his adventures, but actually I think that Amelia is more entertaining! Sincerely, Louise Mustain 4-29-2015
on April 4, 2015
As with all the Amelia Peabody books, the narrative is a combination of first person and third person. The form is a bit formal, as this takes place in the Victorian and Edwardian periods where speaking correctly was highly valued, unlike today. If you have followed the series, this and all the other books are a wonderful blend of Ms Peters excellent writing style and (as Egyptologist Barbara Mertz) knowledge of Egypt and its history. Recommend that you start at the beginning and read through the continuing history of the family. Sadly, Ms Peters passed in 2013 but a new book is coming out this month. From what I've read, it will not 'tie up' the loose ends of the family adventures but will be a retrospective to the early years of WWI. I highly recommend the series.
on July 27, 2016
Ramses and Nefret are blissfully happy, Sethos becomes part of the family, Margaret Mitton also joins in, Amelia and Emerson are at their best, and more characters are added to the already wonderfully developed cast of characters. And Abdullah continues to provide clues and remain a part of the story. Another body, more fights and kidnapping, and another shirt ruined. Classic! I'm on to the next one! Oh, and this is the 4th time I've read the series. I always hate coming to the last one. I feel bereft at losing my close companions.
on February 26, 2015
Finally, after waiting through 12 books, Ramses and Nefret finally get themselves straightened out. And once again the Emerson clan are neck deep in another adventure. These books are great fun. I'm reading them as fast as I can, and at the same time I dread reaching the end of the series. The characters are fascinating and just as much a draw for me as the mysteries.
on June 10, 2013
Amelia Peabody novels are absolutely a joy to read. I started reading her when I was 15 and 47 years later i am still at it. I not only read the books but listen to them on CD as well, where they are even more entertaining. Each and everyone is a new and exciting adventure that is hard to put down even though you hate to come to that last page.
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2008
The Peabody-Emerson clan is preparing to return to Egypt for the winter season of digging. WWI is making travel difficult and causing the local Egyptian political situation to be even more unstable than usual. Further adding to their difficulties is their complicated and ever expanding household. This season the entourage will include Radcliffe, Amelia, their son Ramses, and his wife Nefret, Sennia (who they adopted in FALCON WHO GUARDS THE PORTAL), her cat, Horus and even the family butler, Gargery. The only thing they will not have to worry about is the Master Criminal who figured so largely in their earlier adventures. Shortly after his true identity was revealed he died in a most heroic manner - or did he?

After they safely arrive in Egypt though, it becomes all too apparent that Emerson will once again be denied his quiet season of peaceful digging. As their former reis Abdullah used to remark "another year another body" and this year proved to be no exception. Bodies, mysterious intrigues and even the dreaded (to Emerson at least) starred crossed lovers appear.

If you have no idea who any of these people are begin at the beginning of this delightful series, with CROCODILE ON THE SANDBANK and continue through in order. The overall story arc of this series (AMELIA PEABODY) is much more of a factor than in most mystery series. The mystery/suspense aspect of this series is much less than in many mysteries. The real attraction here is the continuing story of the family itself as it is told from Amelia's own eccentric point of view. Fans of the series will delight to read about Ramses' and Nefret's married life, the continuing banter between Amelia and her beloved Emerson as they are once again being outwitted by a precocious child and will particularly love running into other characters from previous adventures.
on December 7, 2012
Like all people who have encountered Elizabeth Peter's books, I love them all. I paticularly enjoy her sly observations of human nature: male, female, children, people from different cultures and professions. Additionally, I love being transported to the ruins and archeological digs in Egypt. My own world falls away and I am in a different land and a different time. I always enjoy the personal encounter of the "father of curses" with the locals, as well as the compassion and insight of "sit hakim". I am always on the lookout for a new book from Ms. Peters and read the old ones over again while I wait. If you have never read one these boods, you are in for a treat.
on December 12, 2016
All of the books in this series are good. You must start from the start and read them in order to properly enjoy them with the progression of the characters; the various happenings and the time span. I believe it best if you enjoy things "English" along with a Miss Marple kind of take happening in Egypt.
on July 22, 2013
Elizabeth Peters continues the fascinating adventures of her clan in the heart of Egypt's Valley of the Kings. I have been waiting a long time for her recounting the history of Carter's discovery of King Tut's tomb and was not in the least bit surprised to find Emerson's skilled hands in the discovery. Next to Indiana Jones, this is one of the best series of novels I've read.... sort of a mixture of Indiana Jones, Downton Abbey, Sherlock Holmes, and Agatha Christie all rolled into one. I especially value Peters' adherence to historical facts and her bending of facts just enough to include the Father of Curses and his family in the plot.

BGR
on March 27, 2015
I have LOVED this series of books since I read the first (Crocodile on the Sandbank). 19 books later I'm still in love. I love Elizabeth Peters (aka Barbara Michaels) books, period! Most of her books concern archaeology, usually Egyptian. Why not, she is Egyptologist Barbara Mertz. Sometimes her plots take her into Scottish or American Southwest, Mexican archaeology, or Richard III. All of her books are written with wonderful humor. What's not to like?

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.