Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price set by seller.
No Lost Causes Kindle Edition
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Try to imagine this incident happening almost EVERY DAY in America: A family driving from Atlanta to Nashville gets stopped at a guerilla roadblock on I-24. They get dragged out of their cars and watch the guerillas machine-gun their elderly grandparents with AK-47s, then carry the children off to a mountain hideout, saying they will murder them if the parents don't return with a ransom.
This barbarity was a NORMAL part of life in Colombia prior to Uribe being elected president. For over a century the national government, holed up in the cities, had taken a hands-off approach to the reign of terror in the countryside.
Uribe explains the essence of life in Colombia that he knew growing up:
For as long as I can remember, there has been a paradox at the heart of Colombian life. On the one hand, our country suffers from its well-known maladies and afflictions. On the other, it is a country that is also capable of stunning, almost inconceivable goodness-- a place where the laughter seems heartier, the food tastes better, and the sun shines brighter than anywhere else. The overwhelming majority of our lives take place in the latter place.Read more ›
Almost all the Colombians I met will tell you how much they love their country, and in the same conversation tell how they bought themselves out of serving in the military. Uribe in his book describes how he and a lot of his fellowmen are much different than a large percentage of the Colombian population.
The book played down some of his weak spots, in my opinion. He did mention his temper, but I saw it in action one time and for a little guy, he can sure explode!
A very good book to read about Colombia. I hope its required reading for students in Colombia and any student of political science.
On the future of Uribe, I hear he might run for a seat in the Colombian senate, but I hope he finds other ways to use his energy.
On the future of Colombia, I hope Santos gets a little more grit in dealing with the FARC. At present, I suspect if he wrote a book, it will be titled "Tiptoeing through the tulips".
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Love this book. One of my best reads. Real intro into the character of Uribe, and the sacrifice required for change.Published 2 months ago by Jere Andrews
Very good read. I learned a lot about Colombia. Amazing story.Published 11 months ago by Gregory Debord
As a fellow Colombian I enjoyed reading this book. Alvaro Uribe's story leading up to his presidency and tenacity as a leader have given Colombians hope that our country can... Read morePublished 12 months ago by Julian Andres Gomez
He doesn't only talk about his government, he talks about history and his personal life. As a Colombian people tend to have a bad perspective of me which is sad, before reading the... Read morePublished on June 10, 2014 by catalina echeverri
As a Colombian who grew up in the mist of the worst violence to the prosperity brought by Presidents Uribe, this book will take anyone who reads it into the story of our struggles... Read morePublished on September 8, 2013 by Russell
This book gives a great picture of former President Uribe's values, and the way he went about fighting violence in Colombia. It's easy and enjoyable to read.Published on August 29, 2013 by Lisa Kubiske
I joined the financial industry as an analyst when my team was debating at a big investment bank whether it was even worth adding Colombia to our economic coverage in 2001. Read morePublished on August 18, 2013 by antz
Recently voted the greatest Colombian in history, Alvaro Uribe Velez shares his experiences and the passion that drives him to commit so totally to bringing a country back from the... Read morePublished on July 28, 2013 by Hugh Bresser
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Historical > Latin America
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Presidents & Heads of State
- Books > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Books > History > Americas > South America > Colombia
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Ideologies & Doctrines > Democracy
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > International & World Politics > Caribbean & Latin American
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Political Science > History & Theory
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Public Affairs & Policy > Cultural Policy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Leaders & Notable People > Presidents & Heads of State > US Presidents
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biographies & Memoirs > Memoirs
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Americas > Latin America
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Politics & Government > Political Science > History & Theory