Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Only: $44.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 2, 2008
Seriously, I could listen to Nathaniel Parker read stock reports, the city directory or the "terms of use" boilerplate that accompanies software installation packages.

He is wonderful.

Parker also reads the Young James Bond series which are so vivid in my mind now, I may never read the Higson books. I prefer to listen to them.

I'd never listened to an Artemis Fowl book before, and I did not even notice the name of the narrator. When I heard Parker's dulcet tones begin the book, I did a little happy dance around the house.

Artemis is on a mission to save the fairy world. The stoic Butler is still at his side. Artemis is feeling the effects of puberty which, hilariously, foil his concentration on occasion. While hunting demons, he encounters a new rival, the lovely Minerva Paradizo (oh, how I love Colfer's characters' names) who is the same age as Artemis and just as brilliant. She hopes to trap a fairy and impress the Nobel prize committee with her discoveries.

Holly Short has quit LEPRecon following the death of her old boss, Julius Root and now earns her living with Mulch Diggums, as a Lower Elements bounty hunter. She re-teams with Artemis and Foaly in order to save their world from an unstable time tunnel.

Colfer's books are action thrillers full of explosions, car chases and techno gadgetry. They are also packed with stacks of humor, witty dialog and topical references that keep them fresh. What keeps me coming back though, are the underlying ethical and moral issues that are at the core of the tales. The fun of the Artemis stories is how he remains a fast-thinking, law-bending, conniver with a conscience and a heart.
on December 12, 2016
The story had many thrillers, jokes and shocking twists around every corner. It really picked up where the last book left. It was extremely difficult to close my Kindle application ones I started reading it. It had plenty of new information, facts and characters related to the story that really boosted my curiosity. I really do hope that the next book will be just as good.
on December 22, 2011
I have to start out by saying that I am a big fan of the covers of this series. This one in particular is not very appealing to me. Despite this, I was already invested in the series, and had to continue. I quickly got over my issue with the cover, and became mesmerized with the story. Demon N01 is a great new addition to the cast of characters, and I hope that he will be a regular within the rest of the books. The addition of demons to the fairly world brings a more powerful aspect of magic to the table, which really excites me. Artemis is still become more humane with each passing book, and all of the changes that are present at the end of the book leave with high hopes for the next in the series. The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was the lack of Mr. Diggums. He proved very useful at the beginning, but was sort of written off as things go more intense. I found myself missing the flatulent humor he brought about. That aside, it was the best in the series so far, and the end really drives you to see what happens next.
on January 29, 2018
The series continues to be great, not much I ca add to that. Old characters appear again (of course) and it turns into a great read.
on February 25, 2018
great book.
on December 22, 2014
My pre-teen and teen sons love this series. If I can get them to stop re-reading these, I'll be reading them too. If you want a series that will make your kids unplug and read, this is it.
on January 2, 2018
I've personally never read the series, but I bought this as present for my boyfriend who loves the books. Even as an adult, he loves having the series and the paper binding is high quality enough to display proudly on a bookcase.
on August 31, 2015
Was my son's favorite series (and he has read a lot; Percy Jackson, 39 clues, etc.). Then from this, he was recommended to the Chronicles of the Red King, which has now become yet another favorite.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is the fifth installment of the Artemis Fowl series, with reportedly just one more to go. Most of the surviving characters are back, including of course Artemis, the teenaged criminal genius and Butler his bodyguard, as well as Holly, the former female LEPrecon official, Foley the Centaur and Mulch the amazing digging dwarf, but this time there are also new and exciting characters. There's Minerva Paradizo, a twelve year old French child genius who can give Artemis' brain cells a challenge, Doodah Day, a thief who's the Michael Schumacher of the Pixie world, Imp No. 1 the non-warping demon, and the megalomaniac Leon Abbot, but that's not all folks.

Way back when humans and fairies were fighting over the island of Ireland, the eighth fairy family, the Demons, refused to go live underground with the others, instead choosing to take their island home of Hybras into another time dimension until they were ready once again to attack the humans. Unfortunately, something went wrong with the transfer, and the whole island, demons and all ended up in Limbo. However, even time spells don't last forever, and as it unravels, demons begin appearing in the present, and even Foley can't work out exactly where the next one will pop up.

As you may have guessed, Artemis has already figured it out, and starts staking out the sites where demons are due to appear, but is thrown for a loop when he realizes that someone else has done the math, and that the demon he's been stalking has been demon-napped under his very nose. To make it worse, his new rival is a girl, albeit a very pretty one.

Book five has all the elements for an exciting read, including time travel, volcanoes, mercenaries, magical creatures (including a Yoda-like Warlock), and weapons - lots of weapons. There's also the code that runs along the bottom of each page, and I can tell you that it has to do with scrolls, demons and the slapping of rude body parts, but the rest is up to you to find out.

Another great addition to the Artemis Fowl series from Eoin Colfer, certified genius.

Amanda Richards, September 17, 2006
0Comment| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 23, 2017
We love this series but this was by far the worst of the Artemis Fowl books-