BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 8, 2010
No review as it was given as a gift. individual who recieved it thought it was pretty good--found it very interesting.
on December 9, 2009
I'm going to get one thing out of the way... I LOVE IT; it's a great little set with lots of little things that the completist-consumerist geek in me absolutely craves. That'll come last though.

FIRST, MY PROBLEMS WITH THE SET

There's nothing of any real consequence. Now I can't deny, the Geronimo Jackson CD is nice and unexpectedly fun, but the song has been available on iTunes for months, and it offers little insight.

Unlike most, I dig and understand that they wanted retro with the VHS, even if a VHS isn't technically authentic to the time period. What bugs me, like most, is that given that it's truly the only thing about the set with real weight and value to the experience, being VHS is just truly inconvenient. The end result is that the major player of the whole line-up gets seriously shortchanged; it's a brief but fairly important and entertaining video, but what are the odds that you're going to dust off that beast of a machine (the VCR) for viewing this thing more than once.

Everything else, which again I DO love, is pretty much fluff. It's written materials and creative packaging with 2 or 3 inside jokes (Hurley's famous garlic mayo), but nothing lengthy enough that you're going to pour over it again later...

*hypothetical complaint--why make one of the patches unique to a select few sets? I'd be pissed if I didn't get it (the submarine patch) given the price premium. Having said that... I GOT IT, lol. But sadly, my co-worker did not, and is thus sad.

ENOUGH COMPLAINING, I LOVE IT!!

It's big, and impactful. You're basically getting a 3" ring binder packaged in a cardboard box. This may be surprising, maybe even off-putting, but the outer sleeve is plain-as-day thick cardboard, albeit with fancy printing to mimic water stains and masking tape. Other than that, it's no different than moving boxes, and I think it's cool. It's easy to imagine they'd have these things stacked waiting for new recruits to grab them.

Inside is everything you need to know about life in Dharmaville. This is where the bonus stuff, while still admittedly just fluff, makes me geek out. You have the map of the barracks, some orientation materials, security protocols, etc., all packed in a firm, sturdy white binder with the Dharma logo emblazoned on the front. The most important piece in the binder though, would have to the confidential folder. Some are mad because yes, the folder is in fact sealed. To open it is to break the pull tab seal. Big whoop, that's what you bought it for. It does NOT damage your set, it's you enjoying your set. Besides, what's inside IS kinda cool, and though I know you can just search online, I'm not going to say here. It's nothing MAJOR, but still cool.

Some complain about the floppy sleeves for the discs. What the video doesn't show is that the sleeves, with discs inserted, then have their own lined binder pouches which, if the sleeves don't suit you, do a better job at cushioning and protecting the disc than a plastic tray. But I do think that the floppy sleeves go pretty hilariously far for the retro feel and are a welcome playful addition.

So, could we have done with more stuff? Absolutely. But then one has to ask, why now? I mean, especially since we're maybe only a year away from dropping an expected $250+ on a complete series set inside a package that looks like the top of the hatch (guessing, lol). Still, given that I could NOT miss out on LOST University (which is not being graded here but is AWESOME), I had to indulge myself in the now.
33 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 12, 2010
You DO NOT have to destroy ANYTHING in this set to enjoy it. The "sealed" envelope can easily be opened by simply carefully peeling the lower half of the flap up. The tear strip remains intact to look as though it was never opened. The cd can also be easily be removed from its sleeve without a person having to physically touch the cd at any point and if done right neither the sleeve OR the cd will have any wear on it. Then you place the cd in a removable sleeve and place it right behind the cardboard one. It's not hard to figure out how to do it!
on December 10, 2009
We bought this for our daughter who got the whole family turned on to Lost. Because of her we have bought each season on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Now we bought the "Dharma" special edition to wrap-up our experience. The overall scheme of the "Initiation Kit" is clever and fun, including the contents of the pamphlets, the sealed envelope, and the "authentic" VHS tape (although the video is identical to what one can see on youtube). No big surprises, just some gentle memorabilia. All-in-all some fun geek stuff, indeed.

The biggest disappointment is the random omission of the "rare" submarine patch. What marketing loon thought of this? Were they trying to get us to buy boxes in bulk to get the prize inside like this was some cereal box? To be clear, this cost a true premium as others (no pun) have already noted. It's like buying a deluxe edition of a car that may or may not have a working CD player. We will be contacting Disney/ABC to correct this situation. It's up to them to do the right thing and not cheat the loyal fans.
on December 28, 2009
I have to say I'm disappointed with this collection. When I first saw the dvd was coming out, I saw the original "Complete 5th Season" and this one (also saw the blu-ray, but I don't own those yet). So, I was very excited and immediately told my husband I wanted THIS ONE for Christmas. I got it, immediately opened it and finally got around to really looking at it and watching it a few days later. Here are some issues I have:

*I think it is ridiculous that the kit "MAY" include the "Exclusive Submarine Patch." I only see the die hard fans getting this kit and it's a little disappointing that only a select few get the "exclusive" version. I would have liked to see more patches anyways...the medical patch, the motor pool, and the dharma stations for example.

*The size is crazy! I had no idea when I looked at the picture that it was coming in a 3-ring binder! This definitely does not fit on my shelf with the other seasons.

*False advertising of what is on the discs. When you read the description it says it includes, "A Day with Josh Halloway" and "Time Frame and Continuity." They do have a day with Richard Alpert on the disc, but not Sawyer (Halloway). Also...I cannot find a time frame and continuity anywhere! Some people have said that it IS on the blu-ray edition however....

*After deciding I wanted this version and getting it, I learned there was another special edition...Lost: The Complete Fifth Season (Collector's Edition with Bonus Disc and DHARMA Luggage Tag)
This one seems to have all of the video from the Dharma Kit (Dharma Kit is 731min. long), plus more. The Collector's Edition is 751min. long! While it was cool to see the maps and orientation guides, I would have much rather seen the "over 20 minutes of never-before-seen footage!"

*It also appears the regular edition of the 5th Season has all the same video as the Limited Edition (Both are 731min). VERY DISAPPOINTING!!! That is, minus the 5min VHS of the Dharma Orientation video you get with the kit.

So, unless you want this edition just so you can have the "pretty version" I would save your money and just buy the regular season. OR, just purchase the Collector's Edition!
on December 9, 2009
I'm going to get one thing out of the way... I love it; it's a great little set with lots of little things that the completist-consumerist geek in me absolutely craves. That'll come last though.

FIRST, MY PROBLEMS WITH THE SET

ENOUGH COMPLAINING, I LOVE IT!!

So, could we have done with more stuff? Absolutely. But then one has to ask, why now? I mean, especially since we're maybe only a year away from dropping an expected $250+ on a complete series set inside a package that looks like the top of the hatch (guessing, lol). Still, LOST has been there for me since my first semster in college, and now that I'm gradating just before season 6 starts, I had to indulge myself.
on August 11, 2009
i'm not one who always buy the deluxe or special editions of movies, tv shows and music but after years of being addicted to lost we finally have something fun to show off. maybe this could be a hint that the di will not be a big part of season six so they are giving them their send-off proper.

i can't believe it took them five seasons to come out with something special for obsessed fans like myself and look forward to confusing friends when i pop in a vhs to watch some lost.
on December 12, 2009
This set is designed to steal the money of people who are dedicated to the show. Everything about the packaging amounts to the most cynical sort of explotation.

What do you get for all the money:

(1) A song thats been available on itunes for months.

(2) A VHS tape containing an amaturish reworked version of a orientation film already seen in the show. Why do I want to go find a VCR to watch something I've mostly already seen and which adds absolutely NOTHING to what was already seen. Its not important. Its not entertaining.

(3) A bunch of printed extras full of bad jokes and without any interesting content. There is only one exception. There is a truce document included that is the kind of content people want. But it requires that the packaging be damaged to look at it.

(4) A bunch of patches. And they cared *so much* that some packages have an extra patch (the submarine). When your down to putting bonus items in something this expensive, its just tacky.

(5) Its nonstandard size. It doesn't fit on shelves and it doesn't fit into most DVD collections.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone who actually wanted to watch the season. This is strictly a rare collectors item that you never open and put somewhere for a few years in the hope that it increases in value. I mean given all the features (the damage-to-open packaging, the VHS tape, the submarine patch), thats the market this thing was really designed for.
66 comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 25, 2010
Nuff said.

spend your money on junk and you'll certainly be parting with your hard earned money for something that a few years from now will certainly end up in the trash.

but, it's a free world, if you don't have ANY better use for $80.....go for it.
on December 7, 2009
I was at first excited to see a fifth season set which included an explanation for the show. I rarely was able to keep up with all the episodes of LOST, so for me it was much more like a jigsaw puzzle with half the pieces missing. I was excited to hear there would be an explanation that would explain, and tie everything together in the end, but I must say that I'm very disappointed that the studio decided to use a VHS tape to convey the show's ultimate explanation. Who has, or even wants a VHS VCR in this day and age of digital DVD's and BluRay? It's stupid and ridiculous, especially considering the $75.00 to $85.00 price tag. It now just seems like a very bad joke played out on the show's viewers. I'll be spending my money on something else this season, and the studio's can keep their stupid VHS tapes. Bah Humbug!!!!!