Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 78 reviews(5 star, Verified Purchases). See all 132 reviews
on January 9, 2013
Okay...people who complain about this book seem pretty petty to me. I read some of the reviews and thought this was a book full of mistakes and therefore didn't buy it for a while. I'm sorry I waited! I've looked through it quite a bit and haven't found any mistakes yet. I'm not saying there aren't any, but they sure aren't that obvious.

This book is pretty incredible. If you like Lost you will NOT be disappointed with this resource. It's a great conversation piece and it's worth having. The in depth information, pictures, and trivia are impressive.

The forward by the writers of the show talk about how all the extra information surrounding the show provide the 90% of the 'iceberg' under the surface, and if you want to know way more than you ever thought about the Lost universe, this will give it to you.
on January 26, 2015
There are some great reviews here that are worth reading. My review is simple: While there are typos & quirky commissions it is a must have for Lost fans. I will browse through it every now & then for entertainment and always notice something interesting.
That being said it is driving me Crazy as to the COVER PHOTO. I know all the characters, know backstroke and I cannot say with certainty who is pictured between Desmond Hume & Sun Kwon. It has to be Eloise Hawking or Cassidy maybe? (Not Nikki as Paulo isn't pictured) - maybe Cindy? I have tried to google it and failed to find an answer on google, Lostpedia, or even the book itself??? Help? :-) All other characters are accounted for and cannot think of one that would be nestled between 2 main original characters.
on June 29, 2011
A marvelous book. It is all we wanted and much, much more. We are completely satisfied with the details and information on this book. It has become our favorite coffee table book, and the only problem we, expect is that we will need to purchase a several copies because the children all want their own copy. The book, the facts, the pictures, everything is so tastefully and so professionally done. This has been the best family fun book we've ever purchases. As a family, we highly recommend it, you will not be disappointed. And what a perfect gift it will make also, for those who love Lost. I would give it with a Lost DVD or the Lost Sound track. I would love it, if I got that gift!
on April 24, 2017
Perfect addition for the LOST fanatic in your life.
on October 12, 2010
I still highly recommend this book to anyone who loved Lost. If you want a gift for your favorite Lost fanatic, this is the only book you should consider buying. That is because this is the only book written with the help of the Lost producers. It is fact-canon. Other books may theorize what happened in the Lost world but this is the only book that tells you what did happen.

"No great depth" said the previous review! I was amazed at all the depth and details. Just a few examples: Jacob appreciated Widmore's loyalty and allowed him to rise to leadership with Eloise. Jacob had Alpert strip Widmore of his position and banish him. Danielle arrived on the island after the Purge. Ben planned to fool Juliet into releasing the gas from the Tempest killing herself, the 815 survivors and the freighter crew. Plus it confirms things we suspected like Widmore being the one to execute the Purge of the Dharma Initiative via gas from the Tempest and the one who told his goons to slaughter the Ajira 316 survivors.

There is very little on the flash-forwards. The 14 or so pages (text is limited to brief recaps) are tacked on the end of the book after the index like an afterthought. Given this is an encyclopedia there isn't much for the writers to say about them anyway but the placement is very odd.

Know what else is odd? Apparently the editors didn't show up for work! I found too many instances of misplaced and repeated text including this gem in a series of bullets about Shannon; "Loudly whined about Marshal Mars dying too callously." LOL! It is sooo annoying when someone dies callously! That probably should have been "Callously whined about Marshal Mars dying too loudly."

I also found overall that the text lacked clarity. Many paragraphs were poorly worded and clumsy. In places grammatical errors left the text unnecessarily ambiguous. It's obvious that neither the publisher nor the writers were up to the task of producing this book properly which is sad. Or perhaps the producers are at fault for not choosing writers who could produce clean text under a tight deadline.

I'm still giving it five stars because the book looks great (all 400 pages), it contains a mountain of information that is all canon (which no other Lost book can claim) and it is relatively cheap for all it contains. For all its faults, it still makes the best gift you can buy for any kind of Lost fan from the causal fan all the way up to the Lost fanatic.
66 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2012
If you are a fan of Lost, this is the book you have to have. Every character, detail, and spoiler is in the book as you as the reader can relive your experience of Lost while reading!

It's a must buy!
on November 5, 2013
It is a wonderful book! Really beautiful, rich of information, colorful photos, high quality pages. A must-have for every fan of the Lost series. I really like this book.
on February 4, 2013
It was a surprise how complete & encompassing the LOST ENCYCLOPEDIA is...
As any LOST fan knows, you miss one episode....You're LOST.
The LOST ENCYCLOPEDIA keeps me on track with my LOST DVDs
on May 16, 2012
I am a big fan of LOST tv series..., so i thought to bought this as my collection..

Well.., i am abit shock on its size when i received it, coz, it's huge like a file holder, which is atleast 2 times bigger than a magazine, and heavy like two stack of dictionaries...

So.., it's not a usual book that you can keep in ordinary space in your bookshelf, as i had to re-arrange on my books on the shelf just for it.

Also.., it's not convenient to read if you want to hold it, it meant to read on the reading table.

As for the content, i am satisfy, because it has lots of information on locations, characters, items, etc, well done for getting those information all together in one book.

But, the index and arrangement is abit.., messy, i have to say.

Overall, it's still a great collection for any LOSTIE, great images, and stories, everything in the book will bring you back the memories of the island. :)

{Title: Lost Encyclopedia | Author: Tara Bennett, Paul Terry | Hardcover: 404 pages | Publisher: DK Publishing | Language: English | ISBN-10: 0756665949 |ISBN-13: 978-0756665944}
on September 20, 2016
A true LOST fan will absolutely love this book. I have been a LOST fan since it first debuted on ABC. I have the DVDs and have watched the entire series several times. This encyclopedia is the best LOST reference I have found in print. Reading through the encyclopedia will make you want to go back and re-watch the series. This is a must have for a true LOST fanatic.