Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite uncharted Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 70 reviews
on October 23, 2009
WOW! How could I have missed these guys! I have been into electronic music for a while...remixes and sampling are cool if cone correctly! And LJ my friends does it RIGHT! I am now buying up limited releases for WELL OVER face value just to complete the collection! A $30 CD has ONE track I DON'T HAVE....BANG...Bought! As for Lost Horizons...another GREAT RELEASE! As usual..a great mix of relaxing tracks...yet complex you don't get board with it! No doubt for you that JUST listen for ONE thing in a track...you MAY find some tracks repetitive..but for those of you that have the ability to truly LISTEN to music...You WILL enjoy this (And ALL of LJ's Work) CD! Now...as I write this in OCTOBER of 2009....How can we as a group BEG LJ to MAKE ANOTHER CD! PLEASE!!!!!! Also...anyone with some of the promo CD's (Rolled Oats is what I'm REALLY looking for) let me know! PLEASE! :-)
on January 27, 2008
Lemon Jelly's second album, 'Lost horizons', is sheer joy (understand that I dislike the term 'sheer joy', but no other phrase describes this album well).
Where Boards of Canada's dark melancholy mixed up with childhood innocence captures folk, this album is sure to follow -
but while BoC's music tended to focus on the forlorn and wistful parts of nostalgic emotions, Lemon Jelly's focus is more on the plainly, incomprehensibly happy side of childhood- it's more oblique, more in your face, less passive or subtle, than BoC's work, and more australian, if that makes any sense at all. Perhaps the yang to Boc's quieter yin. There's flow and peaks, but the real joy simply lies in sitting back, putting this album on and drifting far, far away. The whole album is recommended, in particular the first and third tracks as starting points. Enjoyed.
on November 4, 2002
Okay...I stumbled on Lemon Jelly while visiting a museum gift shop. I found out whom that smooth music was created by and bought their CD at my first chance. Lost Horizons is their second CD in my collection and I'm enjoying it even more than the original collection "lemonjelly.ky".
Their smooth-toned music is punctuated by lyrical speech samples that weave sonic stories. They are less silly ("c'mon baby" & "he's a big fellow") and arbitrary now and, instead, follow related themes. There is richness to the music that exists at the same time that it is minimalist. I've been listening to this CD for several days in my car, never growing tired of the themes and tunes. I love all but one song: Experiment No. 6 is just too weird for me. I spook and skip it on the replay.
Bottom line...You will be delighted with this CD. Top Ratings!
on December 28, 2007
This album is probably closer to 4.5 stars. Two of the songs really detract from the album. "Return To Patagonia" seems completely out of place alongside the rest of the album, and "Experiment No. 6" is just a really bad song, if it can even be called a song. It's more of a diary about some guy's experience with some sort of psychotropic drug. Lame.

The rest of the album is just fantastic. Tracks like "Ramblin' Man", and "Nice Weather For Ducks" are a pleasure and more so with each listen.

"Nice Weather For Ducks" is really the masterpiece here. It's just such a fun, joyous, raucous upbeat song that you can't help but have your spirits lifted as you tap your foot to the infectious rhythm.

Definitely worth adding to your collection but a five star album this one isn't.
on April 3, 2004
OMG! Get this album! Wait until you hear, "Nice weather for ducks!" It starts out with a British guy singing a nursery rhyme, adds great accoustic guitars, segues into a sixties-ish Bacharach-like movie soundtrack with a big beat, takes off like a rocket into the stratosphere with a disco flavored section, flips inside out and becomes a latin salsa dance number, flips inside out again and races along like a Sunday drive in a race car, and then lands gently. What a brilliant musical trip! These guys are fantastic. The pieces on the beauty of space and the medical experiment are also great. I found only one dull piece on this album but what a happy, giddy, goofy, danceable album this is! I have 50 chill albums and this is, easily, the cleverest and most sophisticated of them all. Get it!
on March 4, 2003
I was led to this album originally because it kept showing up in the "people also bought..." part. The reviews were high praise so I listened to the free mp3 and decided to buy it. What a find!! And to think I almost didn't get it, what a gift to myself this was. Sometimes I have to stop myself from listening to it AGAIN just so that it won't wear thin on me, but it's almost impossible to resist. This album makes me feel good, then right in the middle I feel completely creeped out by "Experiement #6" which in it's own way is a strangely enjoyable feeling too. I get the sense that these two guys put a considerable amount of thought into each of these tracks, yet the results sound effortless. It's simply "beautiful; just beautiful".
on April 21, 2003
I looked everywhere on the sleeves of both albums to see if there were any common contributors between this happy, hook-filled paean to the coda and Chumbawumba, but alas, found none. Surely there must be some connection, as several tracks are clearly related stylistically (the long list of cities in "Ramblin' Man," the horns on "Ducks" and "Elements", etc.).
Great driving music, too. If you don't mind that a song doesn't have a beginning, a middle, and an end in the traditional sense, and you love catchy pop-inspired hooks, then you should hear this album. Repeatedly.
on February 12, 2003
...And I thought lemonjelly.ky was great, this CD is better. In fact, it is one of the best CDs to come along in the past year. I bought Lost Horizons based on LJ's previous release alone and I am happy that I did. This is a great, great CD. Every track is amazing, the first two tracks blew me away. Its just an incredibly professional mix of strings, horns, percussion and beat tracks that create an awe-inspiring sound. How do they make CDs this good??
on May 8, 2015
I Have been jamming to this CD...GOOD MUSICAL INSTRUMENTALS!
on April 1, 2003
On the surface Lost Horizons has the blase character of an overproduced glee club medley. While I have never used Prozac, I suspect that the effervescent orchestration and utopian vocalizations found here are morally equivalent to the preternatural emotional equilibrium that the drug is purported to provide. Still, it is clear that something darker is probing the periphery. I mean, nobody can be this upbeat, and no drug can fend off every last tendril of panic, right?
Many reviewers find Lost Horizons impossible to resist. Despite the palpable edginess of the album, I cannot endure its ceaseless melodic boosterism.