Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 18 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 29 reviews
on February 25, 2013
This is an intriguing novel that caught me early and wouldn't let go. I found myself sneaking away from work and household chores to find a few minutes here and there to see what would happen next. End then I got to the end...WOW!
on August 20, 2013
I love this book and I couldn't put it down! It messes with your mind and makes you want to start again at the beginning as soon as you finish! Such a great read!
on January 7, 2013
This book was very interesting and entertaining. Kept my attention and never left me just plain bored. Easy read, and intellectual.
on October 5, 2012
Lost in Infinity is written with a great voice that punches you deep in your head, then digs in. This book will draw you in and stay with you. It might even plant itself within your cerebral cortex and not let go. (In a good way though, I assure you.) I would highly recommend this book.
on September 2, 2012
My luck with free Kindle books is about 50/50, but, what the heck, they're free. I'm also leery of a handful of 5 star reviews as most of us have enough friends and family to get 20 or so good reviews. I came back to Amazon this morning to read the negative reviews to see if this book was going to get any better and I see that it isn't so I'm moving on. I haven't found any "thrill" in this supposed thriller and I don't feel at all drawn into the mind of the main character, nor do I feel any empathy or understanding. It reads to me like a bratty kid's diary.
on August 5, 2012
Lost in Infinity by Travis Besecker is billed as a "fictional psychological thriller". I can't speak to the "fictional" part as it reads more like a memoir. I'll buy the "psychological" part but "thriller" is quite a stretch. Whatever it is, it's a candidate for a Listmania top 10 "worst books I've read" in 2012. It started out OK but I quickly found the repetition of sequences frustrating. I didn't like or feel empathy towards the main character & frequently sided w/ his parents, teachers, therapists, etc. At one point I was rooting for the therapist, "Katherine" to tell this "gifted" child to go straight to......well, you get the picture. I am thrilled I didn't pay money yet bothered at the same time that I'll never recover the time it took to read what I did. One positive is that the chapters are short so it gives the reader the illusion they are getting to the end quickly. I thought the book would be interesting because I was in therapy myself as a child, & figured I could relate. But after finishing roughly 3/4 of the book, I finally gave up.....just not interested enough to invest the time to reach the conclusion. After thinking on it some, I realize the book is quite similar to another book I read that I didn't care for ie., Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. So if you liked that one then go for it. Me, I'm moving on to more enjoyable pursuits.
on June 21, 2012
I just have to compliment the author on his voice. He is very easy-to-read...so easy that you'll find yourself sucked in within the first few pages. You can see his memories - he relays them to you like you're sitting on his front porch drinking beer and swapping stories. I even LOL'd for real in some parts, and I found that within a few hours I'd actually read nearly 200 pages, but it felt like I'd just picked it up about 5 minutes before. I'm kind of a book snob. Myself, I prefer more classical reads, and I've never read a genre like this, but now I can't wait for the next book! I love this!!
on April 11, 2012
i didn't know what to say after i finished reading this book. how do i explain that i felt like i was reading my own life and childhood? how do i put into words the sadness i felt for travis and his lost youth? i still don't think that i can. i don't think that i can do this book justice with my words. travis writes like he talks and thinks and that makes reading the book feel like you are delving into your own memories, whether you relate to the subject matter or not. i cannot even imagine the sheer bravery and blls it must have taken to not only commit such personal memories to paper, but to share them with the world. i, for one, am happy he did. i couldn't even read the last part when i got to it because i did not want the book to end. THAT is how good it is. i honestly think that everyone will identify with travis' words and emotions. i think that some part of this book will resonate so profoundly that it will bring up memories you forgot you even had. and that, to me, is the best thing i can say about a book. everyone will find something to grasp to. because everyone has been travis at some point or another.
on April 2, 2012
I picked this book up after seeing it in the hands of several people on Twitter and Tumblr. It didn't seem quite in line with my usual Science Fiction or Horror genres, but I've been looking to branch out and I decided to give it a shot. I figured if nothing else I'd shoot through it and add it to my small list of completed books, hand it 3 stars, and move on. I was very wrong about how much I would identify with the words as I read it.

The book itself held my attention from the words, "...my room was reset" during the prologue. The first 80-90 pages was almost like reliving my own experiences as I've dealt with insomnia, late night repetitive thinking, and the inability to relate any of it to those around me growing up. Right after the stage is set in the first quarter of the book is when the roller coaster hits the first drop. What follows is a stretch of events and ideas that made me question the nature of my own thought processes a few times. The tail end of the book slams firmly into an ending that, although I tried to, could not have guessed was coming.

I almost gave it 4 out of 5 for some repetition, but anyone whose spent 4+ days running on little or no sleep can identify with the concept of things bleeding together in just such a way. The repeats were an effective way to tell the story and help sink in that déjà vu feeling. I'm glad I resisted my natural urge to just skim through the repeats as I might have just as easily missed something.

I ended up giving it 5 because I only put it down for sleep and when outside interruptions would have kept me from enjoying it. I will definitely end up reading this one a few times and probably made around 10-15 highlights from it on my Kindle. After this I am looking forward to checking out "Harnessing the Spark" when it gets finished.
on April 10, 2012
Lost in Infinity is a book that will leave you questioning everything you have ever believed in, including yourself. It doesn't hold back and is real. It discusses real day to day things everyone faces and thinks about and is honest. It doesn't sugar coat things to be more socially acceptable. The author does an amazing job of making you feel like you are there with him and are a part of the book. It is a great read and you wont be able to put it down once you start partially because you'll want to continue it to see how it ends and partially because you'll be too scared to sleep after. Like the author does throughout the book, you'll start asking yourself questions that will keep you up at night and fearing their answers, especially the question, "Was this book intended for me?"