Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 169 reviews
on December 23, 2014
I love this story. It was never written as a study of the human condition, it's the story of a boy, like 70 years ago, lost in the woods of Maine. And, it's a true story, as Donn Fendler for years visited classrooms and spoke about his experience. I was discussing the book with my siblings, and one brother, who is a history buff, and particularly, a Maine history buff, had never heard the story. That surprised me, as I thought it was a read aloud in every 3rd grade classroom in Maine.
Anyway, I have had copies of it in the past, for my classroom, but couldn't find one, so I replaced it, for my siblings to read and pass amongst them. Pretty quick read, just an hour or two, but a great story of a time gone by.
on December 15, 2016
I liked the book, clearly it wasn't written by a professional writer but I enjoyed the story and had it read in just 2 or 3 hours. As a Mainer, born and raised and still here at 42 i could picture what he was writing. I enjoyed this read very much!
on July 30, 2015
I couldn't put this book down. The author went into such great detail. It was as if I was right there with the lost boy. What surprised me at the end was to find out that this book was based on a true story. Well done!
on November 13, 2015
The book was great. Kept you in suspense and always wanting to keep reading. It teaches us about nature and how important it is and how many "corporations and politicans" want to destroy it just for MONEY!!! But like Mr. Pickett said, most of them will be dead when the aftereffect happens so they don't care. Sad for the little ones we leave behind. My son is 12 and he is involved in the environment. Hope he stays involved. And it taught him to keep going and learn, be kind and listen!
on January 5, 2017
Exciting adventure! I read this story, I'm guessing 50 or so years ago and never forgot it. When my son was young I tried to find it at our local library, but was unsuccessful, even with the librarian calling other libraries. Of course this was before the age of computers, too. I read in the newspaper that Donn Fender had passed on (yes, read on paper, not internet). This led me to check Amazon for the book.
on May 2, 2017
As a ME resident I wanted to read this story and am glad I did. It is a short read.
on May 12, 2017
Terrific story about the great will to live of this 12year old boy lost for 9 days with essentially no food
on August 8, 2017
Great story
on June 2, 2017
Love it!!
on May 27, 2016
For such a young boy he was smart enough to save his own life, his lack of realizing the dangerous situation he got in, got him out of the Maine woods alive, no many people could do that, even nowadays with all the modern technology.
That young boy of those early days, today he still alive, he's a cheerful person 90 yrs of age, God bless him always.........