Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Lost My Love in Baghdad: A Modern War Story
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

on April 28, 2008
This truly amazing book tells two stories. The main story is of course the beautiful, modern love story between Michael and Andi. Everyone that has been in love can relate to the stories of their first couple dates, the playful yet intense arguments that you get into when first finding out about each other and the overall feeling of just wanting to be next to the person you love. The tragic end to their relationship literally made me break down and cry. It only took me a couple days to read most of the book, but it took an additional couple days just to read the last couple chapters. The final chapters are so overwhelming that I needed to stop reading every so often just to collect myself.

The second story is about the war in Iraq. I have read hundreds of books and stories about the current conflict and no other book so fully explains the war better than "I Lost My love In Baghdad." Everyone should read this book in order to fully appreciate what is happening on a day to day basis to our troops and the Iraqi people.

I fully recommend this book and encourage everyone to read it. You will not be able to put it down.
44 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2014
I knew Mike Hastings and considered him a friend, but I'm not giving this five stars out of a nepotistic star bumping scheme for my late friend.

I finally read this book after avoiding it and many other Iraq memoirs for the better part of the last decade. I served in Iraq in 2004-5 and then in 2006-7. When not there, I worked on Iraq policy in the Pentagon or State Department. For personal reasons I haven't had much of a desire to read about our great tragedy in Iraq, but last month I picked Mike's book up off of my shelf and began it.

First, Mike's details are spot on. His first initial experiences entering a Baghdad at war, his acclimatization to "normality" at war, and then his struggle with the dissonance between life in America and life at war are not just exacting and illustrative, but touching and sincere. To be short, his reporting of both the war and life at home during war, or America in exception to war, is excellent.

But, on top of outstanding war reporting, and what is lost, I believe, in so much of our discussion and understanding of war, is the personal story. War is above all else a human experience. The larger, macro examination and discussion of Iraq in its common form as geo-political, DC Beltway pundit banter is meaningless when compared with the millions upon millions of individual stories of men, women and children, most of them tales of suffering and grief, too many of them snuffed out and no longer continuing.

Mike's story is intimate, genuine, heartbreaking, and, as great writing does, transcends the immediate environment of the story to be understood as a universal truism that others can share in. While Mike's war reporting will explain and describe the events of that war to allow someone inexperienced with its madness, his personal story, of his love and relationship, will be readily identifiable by any of us who have loved and lost.
on July 14, 2008
The tragedy of losing someone as close to you as your first love is unimaginably painfull. It is made even more grueling if it is under the conditions that his fiance passed away in. There are those reading this book that forget that message. I am not one of those individuals. Thank you for sharing your story with the world. Nothing could ever bring her back but maybe telling her story will make you whole.
on April 20, 2008
Hastings' book is a phenomenal introduction to young love and life in Baghdad. Throughout his story, there is a unique perspective on Iraq and daily life there. I could sense the intensity and constant danger ubiquitous in the country. More importantly, this story really makes me regret not having the opportunity to ever meet Andi Parhamovich. He portrays her as a beautiful, noble, vibrant young woman and her loss feels tragic even to the reader.
on June 28, 2013
I've read some previous reviews which complained about romanticism and machismo and an apparent "air" put upon by the (now deceased) author. As someone who was in Baghdad at the times that Michael Hastings was there, and more specifically, experiencing many of the same emotions he experienced, I can tell you those reviews are at best ignorant, and at worst, vapid. This story is so true it hurts. The emotions expressed here...all of them...are 100% real, and as raw as they get. Unfortunately, I fear only those of us who were there will know how true this story really is. Thank you, Micheal, for telling this story. May you and Andi both rest in peace.
on June 21, 2013
The author, prize-winning journalist Michael Hastings, died this week in a car crash at 33. The news headlines led me to this book, about his years in Baghdad, covering the war, where his fiancee, Andi, was tragically killed. Eye-opening, well-written and especially sad, considering his fate. Hopefully Andi was waiting for him ...
on June 29, 2013
I always appreciated Michael Hastings' perspective and knowledge about the politics of the military industrial complex and the human suffering of innocents of the Iraq and Afghan wars. He was a frequent contributer on cable news and in print. He was direct and no-holds barred, e.g. when he he revealed in his Rolling Stone piece Gen. Stanley McChrystal's opinions of the President and his administration. Because of Hastings' report, McChrystal was asked to resign. I had no idea of Hastings' his heartbreaking personal experience when he was assigned to cover Iraq for the first time for Newsweek. However, Hasting's recent tragic death, at the tender age of 33, moved me to read his books. His war reporting in this book was excellent, adding more to what I had known about the folly of how the US began that regrettable war. The other personal story is the one that stirred my heart. It makes all of his reporting that I had seen so frequently in his television appearances even more meaningful. This is one book I couldn't put down.
on June 26, 2013
Michael Hastings was a journalist with Newsweek in Baghdad. This is a love story by a great journalist, his love story. If you want to get to know Michael Hastings read this book. Anyone who wants to be a journalist, read this book. It will tell you a lot more than about the man and his charater than the recent news.
on June 23, 2013
About 80% of this book describes what it was like for so many during the Iraqi war and demonstrates how adept the WH and the Pentagon were/and are at political spin.

Sadly, Michael died in a car crash/blast/fire, just as his beloved Andi, only on different continents. Both died too young. Both didn't see it coming. I truly hope that if there is a Heaven they are together again.

This book is an excellent read and a great introduction to the lies the American public was told for years about why we needed to set boots on the ground in Iraq.
on March 24, 2015
I remember seeing Michael Hastings interviewed in the last few years before his death. He was brilliant and angry. I knew he had reported from Iraq and saw the horrible tragedy of what we had wrought there, but I did not know at the time how personal his reaction was. He suffered an unimaginable loss, and journalism and the courage to tell the truth took a huge hit when he died. He was a loud, strident voice for the truth - very much missing in journalism these days.

This book is a history of 2005 and 2006 in Iraq and a love story. I highly recommend it.