Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,443 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,735 reviews
on December 9, 2011
First off, I have to say I'm a lover of historical fiction especially books that center around WWII. I have to admit I enjoyed "Unbroken" more than this book, but it still was a fascinating story in many parts.

Just to give you perspective, I'm an average reader who likes to read a bit before bed every night. I have no literary background - so my review comes from that point of view.

What I Liked about this book:
This has to be one of the craziest stories I've read in a long time - after reading it, I wondered why I never heard about this story until now. It's got it all - natives, plane crash, impossible rescue scenario women in the jungle, injury, the works.

There are great parts in it where the writer explains an event through the eyes of the Americans, and then through the eyes of the natives. These stories were the most entertaining parts of the book.

The pictures - they really compliment the story.

What I wasn't crazy about:
This story reads somewhat like a newspaper. The author spends a lot of time presenting the facts and background for the events. At times, this can seem a little dry to me but I do appreciate his ability to present such detailed facts.
on June 11, 2013
This well researched and very well written account of very real heroism and survival deserves a place on the bookshelf of everyone interested in WWII history. Not about a battle, intelligence intrigue or even politics, it's about real, normal people who go for a "joy ride and find them selves crawling out of a burning aircraft and alone in a mountaintop jungle among a people that time never even found, much less forgot. Their story was front page news at the time, but since has been eclipsed by the great "war stories" about battles and codebreaking. It's worth reading!
on October 1, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this non-fiction account of what these brave men and women went through. The author did a good job drawing me in, and even though it was obviously extensively researched it was written in a way where I felt like I was being told a story, rather than lectured. I would certainly read another book by the author, and this has in fact made me hungry for more non-fiction. I'm glad we got an update at the end about what happened to each character, though I found myself still wanting to know more.
on July 21, 2015
A wonderful account of an incident that was nearly lost in time from WWII. Not much else can be said by me about his book that hasn't been. Its a great story of three plane crash survivors in the jungles of New Guinea and their ultimate rescue. Its a great story I had never read about anywhere. It was a great thing Zuckoff did to research this and bring to life the story of this event.
on May 22, 2013
I ordered this book in large print for my father's 98th birthday gift. I just got off the phone with him and he was thrilled with it and eager to get to it. He loves to read stories of extraordinary courage and heroism during the WWII years. I'm sorry I can't comment on the book itself, but if anyone is looking for a gift for someone who lived through the war, this is an excellent choice. I've sent other large print books to my father. He and his buddies pass them around so they all get to enjoy them and then donate them to the local library. Thank you, Amazon, for having a collection of large print books! They are a hit!
on December 2, 2014
World War 2--a true story in South Pacifa . I truly enjoyed. The deceased can be found on www.findagrave.com. I looked them up. I enjoyed the beginning in bringing all the people together for that nightmare flight.
on January 6, 2015
Interesting, lots of detail, factual. I enjoyed it, even through the dry bits and details about the people involved. I'd never heard about this, so enjoyed reading about it.
on December 21, 2014
An interesting sideline story from a time when the country was tired of war and looking for a happy ending. The courage and determination is evident
on March 14, 2017
Well written but not a barn-burner like I anticipated.
on September 21, 2016
I loved this book! Very well written. Margaret Hastings was an amazing woman. I'm so glad I got to know her through this book.