Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 246 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 308 reviews
on July 15, 2014
If I had one criticism of this group, The War On Drugs, I would say they are soooooo good that they are slick. But it all depends on your taste. I loved this CD, Lost In A Dream. My two favorite cuts are Red Eyes and Eyes To The Wind. On Eyes To The Wind, Adam Granducie's voice is very Dylan-esque. But he can sound like Bruce Springsteen as well. Musicianship by all members of the band is top notch. (See what I mean by 'slick?') There is nothing here to criticize unless you like gritty. There is no grittiness here. But the CD is still incredible!
on January 20, 2015
Being totally new to The War on Drugs, having read a review of the album and heard Red Eyes I decided to buy the album. I have gotta say I been absolutely blown away by this. It is the best album I have heard in years - I so love this album and have been playing it repeatedly. Highly textured, melodic, fantastic arrangements, great songs, it's just got a great feel as the music seems to wash over you. I particularly love "Eyes to the Wind" and "Lost in The Dream" but the whole album is incredible. I think I will be loving this album for years to come.
on May 7, 2015
This is a great album. I wish there were fewer slow songs as I prefer hearing Adam G & his band rock out--well, 'play quickly' as on the opening track.
One reviewer called this the ultimate 'road trip' album & that's what it feels like: you & the band are in a beater car headin' for parts unknown. Anything can happen. I love this new Philly sound--WOD, Kurt Vile. These guys are really on to something dreamy & authentic.
on June 22, 2015
This is one of my fav albums of 2015, and you can't judge this work by only hearing the featured singles on the radio. The entire album flows together beautifully. It has a dreamy quality that is hard to compare to other bands, and hard to pinpoint in terms of genre. The melodies are both ethereal and catchy. The vocals are subdued but not muddy or droning. In some ways it reminds me of some 70's "concept" rock albums, yet this is definitely modern rock. Great album all the way through!
on June 17, 2014
I can't add much to what's been written. (And like one of the commenters, I, too, bought Zeppelin's first album in 1969, and my Sirius/XM radio channels 35 and 36 help me keep up with great new music -- Averkiou, Diiv, Memoryhouse, Real Estate, Bear in Heaven, Boxer Rebellion, Chain Gang of 1974, Raveonettes, Pure Bathing Culture, Dum Dum Girls, for example.) I was first hooked by "Under the Pressure" and after buying the entire album, it didn't take long for it to grow on me. "Disappearing" and "In Reverse" are especially appealing and, if I may add one more artist songs like "In Reverse" remind me of, it is the vocals of Ian Hunter, which is a massive compliment. (I saw Mott the Hoople at the Tower in Philly in 1975). A tinge of sadness but not so dark it turns the listener away.
Can't wait for their next effort already.
on July 29, 2014
Like my other reviews on Indie/Alt/Chill/Gazer type bands they prove that if you really want to....you can forego the drugs scripted for anxiety, panic attacks, depression, and that overall feeling of being super bummed out....few deep breaths....your favorite beverage....a comfortable spot to relax and just let go and let the music help empty your head of needless crap...and re-prioritize your tasks so you can clearly tackle the following day. This type of music should be prescribed to certain folks as it is that effective IF YOU JUST TAKE A FEW DEEP BREATHS, kickback, enjoy your beverage and let your thoughts simply reformulate!
on June 17, 2014
This is my first taste of the The War on Drugs and I was completely blown away by the quality of this album. If you dig mellow synth pop, this album is a gem, with track highlights like "Under The Pressure", "Suffering", "Disappearing", and "Eyes To The Wind". I was just recently listening to the title "Lost In The Dream" track and thought how the lead singer's voice sounds similar to Matthew Houck from Phosphorescent [and a little Dylan-esque too]. I usually don't write music review and this isn't going to be some overly thorough review. I simply think this is one of the better examples of new alt rock music out there for 2014. A good follow-up to this album would be TWOD's "Slave Ambient".
on March 12, 2015
While this album is heavily influenced by the classic rock era, that familiarity makes it easily accessible. Lost in the Dream is the epitome of a "grower" - gets better and better with each listen. Each track is solid, beautifully crafted, no filler or skippers. My vinyl copy has one side printed slightly off center, which is a bit annoying, so if you are picky I'd go with a digital version. I hope they release a hi-res flac or dsd, it would sound amazing.
on October 8, 2014
Great album from The War on Drugs. Highly recommend this to any real music lover; you'll hear their influences in each song. I am loving the whole album.
on February 28, 2015
I like this album a lot.i sometimes feel embarrassed listening to groups like this at my age[62]but screw it,good music is good music.i find all the songs to be well written and crafted and to stand out individualisticly.obviously there are shades of pink Floyd and the cure here,but most good bands have their influences.amazon prime has their albums for free but I purchased lost in the dream so I could put on my I-pod and listen to in the car.i will probably purchase more.when so much music these days sounds so alike it is refreshing to find bands that stand out not because of looks or marketing ploys but because of what it is supposed to be about in the first place,their music.