Top critical review
69 people found this helpful
... value for a plasma cutter tig combo is very good, however
on May 4, 2016
I think the value for a plasma cutter tig combo is very good, however, since tig is my primary interest, I should have gone for AHP instead, which has more functionality on the tig front, including AC.
0. Ground Cable is very very short which is a huge pain. I'll need to replace that.
1. Doesn't come with the Pedal, that will cost you another $100
2. Doesn't come with 120 plug (pigtail). From vendor, that is another $35
3. Tig torch is decent (WP17), but hose is not flexible (pretty lousy). The torch connector is the same as for the Eastwood and older AHP, so you can get an upgraded CK flex cable. The connector coming from the welder is a "M16" threaded adapter. The folks that sell HTP have a CK hose/torch combo you can upgrade with.
4. Plasma cutter works decent. It doesn't have pilot arc, so you might have to touch off to get it to work. The lotos combo machine that does have pilot arc is LTPDC2000D. I blew through the first set of consumables pretty quick, so you should buy extras if you plan to use this very much at all. The better torches get more mileage out of their consumables, but those are relatively cheap for this cutter.
5. Although this welder doesn't have all the features of the better tig machines, the arc seems stable and consistent. The high frequency start is "freaking awesome". If you are doing DC only, for the price, the performance of this machine is good.
6. If you are looking to weld Aluminum, you need AC, and this machine does not do that. Look at AHP or other dedicated machines.
7. Finish: Machine looks very good and feels solid. It is the prettiest machine in my shop.
8. The quality of the additional stuff, like the argon regulator/flow meter, and compressor regulator (for plasma) seems cheap. The first regulator didn't work at all, and I've had minor issues with the second. These components should probably be upgraded.